It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the objective standards for being conservative or liberal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
there was a time when being a conservative or liberal meant something very definitive and objectively obvious. It was not something that one declared through self-identification and appropriation of a label, but one that others could easily tell.

Today, nothing seems to be beyond the pale, and there appear to be no standards on what makes a conservative or a liberal.

The waters are so muddied now. So I ask, in your opinion, what are the standards for someone today to determine what party they belong in?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HunkaHunka

I think it is more who is an Authoritarian Vs. Libertarian. There are those that want to inflict their beliefs and schemes on others and those that don't. Any other definition of Left Vs. Right is irrelevant as they both want to meddle in the lives of others and are the enemy of the "We the People".

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Have a need in your life for group identity.

That’s really about it, for both sides. Once a person has that, the rest of the indoctrination is easy. Next thing you know a person will be dreaming of becoming a politician and actually believing they are different from the ones they’re fighting against.

I’m pro 2nd Amendment, pro choice, pro drug legalization, pro immigration and anti-stupidity. There isn’t a party that fits all those in one go, so there isn’t a party for me.

#### political parties and the people they rode in on.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I’m pro 2nd Amendment, pro choice, pro drug legalization, pro immigration and anti-stupidity. There isn’t a party that fits all those in one go, so there isn’t a party for me.

I agree with all of your above stances as long as you mean LEGAL immigration and not illegal then we are much more similar than I suspected. Everything you stated is pro-freedom and pro-America.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I consider myself a constitutionalist. I have many "conservative" views, and I use that term loosely.

Nothing has really changed for me since I was against the Bush administration, except all the people who were protesting Bush went away when Obama started doing the same #.

Now that Trump is actually undoing some of that damage, the people who I thought were rational people are now telling me I'm Hitler for daring to vote counter expectations to the narrative written for me by leftists who want to destroy America.

edit on 28 8 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

"Conservative" means being a war monger.

"Liberal" means breaking all taboos imaginable and not merely having them be tolerated, but openly accepted and embraced and even indoctrinated into children to maximize the odds that's what to grow to actually get into.

The latter are so caught up in that that also being a war monger isn't to much be cared about.

Or so thats whats become of "America" many decades after conservatives and liberals decided to relegate the direction of their political philosophies by the "Democrat" and "Republican" party's.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Okay, I'll opine.

To me, a conservative generally wants less government intrusion, and requires only of government enforcement of laws, maintenance of infrastructure, promulgating of new laws and regulations, and a conservative is suspicious of dramatic change, particularly if it seems to be a movement or cause rooted in emotional ideals. A conservative will in general tend toward more self-reliance, however not to the extend of being unwilling to help others, however that help will tend to be toward those who are willing to also help themselves. A conservative is more concerned with etherial ideals like liberty, and honor and justice.

To me, a liberal is the opposite of a conservative, but only in a few ways. One, they are more willing to cast of traditional values and mores, but only if it benefits the majority of people. Liberals believe government should regulate or be a central part of social changes inclusive of everyone. A liberal view tends to balance everyone into a common denominator, and seeks to legislate those values. The liberal intent is to protect the rights and equality of all people, regardless of citizenship, and is less concerned about who pays for the programs than that they are enforced.

In the private utopia of my dreams, political parties are cast aside, and the best aspects of both sides meld into a more libertarian view, where government doesn't intrude into personal liberties, and as a nation, the people primarily concern themselves WITH themselves and abandon influences outside of their borders, except as humanitarian efforts or national protection are involved.

This is, of course, my off-the-cuff opinion. The really great thing about open-ended questions like this, is we all get to learn something, and maybe even broaden our views.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: HunkaHunka
So I ask, in your opinion, what are the standards for someone today to determine what party they belong in?

Opting to be a Democrat or Republic requires you to be a mindless asstard drone since both parties are about stripping away the individual rights of people while their K Street cronies have them rubber stamp laws they have written.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

So in essence I agree with you.

However, in modern day politics actual conservative voters want less governmental intrusion into our lives, which has gotten to the point it is burdensome. Also, paying the bills would be nice.

Actual liberal voters now feel that more government intrusion is good because it makes things more "fair".

That is why there no longer is any hope of meeting in the middle.

Because the left and the right now have two entirely different ideas of where America should go.

And those ideas are just not compatible.

So we are at a great big fat crossroads... do we keep what has worked, or do we go in a direction that never has worked?

We are almost past the point of deciding, since we have been going for about 100 years towards the ideology that has never worked before.

edit on 28-8-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I think it is more who is an Authoritarian Vs. Libertarian

Wrong. Do you believe that traditions are the most important things, or the freedom to not be traditional is the most important thing?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Wrong. Do you believe that traditions are the most important things, or the freedom to not be traditional is the most important thing?

A true Libertarian believes the rights of the individual are most important.

edit on 28-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

"Liberal" means breaking all taboos imaginable and not merely having them be tolerated, but openly accepted and embraced and even indoctrinated into children to maximize the odds that's what to grow to actually get into.

Don't forget to add, that when these "taboos" aren't tolerated and accepted by the "war mongers," then Liberals can ban them from speaking engagements at colleges and call them all sorts of vile names (fascists, racists, xenophobes, ignorant, nazis, homophobes, white nationalists and "war mongers"). If all else fails and Liberal hearts start "bleeding," then it's time to put on some black clothing, face masks, body armor, grab some crude weapons and become radical nitwits.

edit on 8/28/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Being a liberal is easy. All you have to do is to turn a blind eye to everything that is important!

And you also have to believe everything the MSN tells you.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If conservative means being a war monger, than Hillary is a conservative. Check her stats as Secretary of State, as per wiki leaks.

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

"Conservative" means being a war monger.

The latter are so caught up in that that also being a war monger isn't to much be cared about.

Or so thats whats become of "America" many decades after conservatives and liberals decided to relegate the direction of their political philosophies by the "Democrat" and "Republican" party's.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This response seems to be contrary to the spirit of this post.

Simpletons need not respond.

originally posted by: Diisenchanted

Being a liberal is easy. All you have to do is to turn a blind eye to everything that is important!

And you also have to believe everything the MSN tells you.

edit on 29-8-2018 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Easy a conservative is constructive group in mind,a liberal only has his best interest in mind,one acts like a citizen,liberals act like mindless children

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
conservative == republic: states rights = senate

liberal == democratic: individual rights = house of representatives

note: i super hate when people make the claim that we "have a republic form of government". that statement is only half true; liberalism is hard-boiled into the constitution.

be smart, friends.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Constitutional conservative = closest thing to true libertarian that still maintains some sembelence of law (order/ stability)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Taking in international history for the last couple of centuries, the rule-of-thumb difference has been that a liberal wants to change things (claiming to bring improvements), and a conservative wants to keep things as they are, or were recently (claiming to preserve what is best).

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I was thinking that this was more a question of our own self identity.
I am conservative in many ways. I believe in marriage and family. I believe in God though not what mosts idea of that is. I believe in religious freedom.
I too am pro choice, pro second amendment, pro legalizing marijuana but not all drugs.
I believe in helping the down trodden, protecting and nurturing children, equal pay for equal work, freedom to love whomever ever I choose, freedom of the press and free speech. I believe in making your own wealth and I think public education should go way beyond twelfth grade. I believe we need taxes to ensure these things. For ourselves and our posterity. Lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join