It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I warned trump haters; trump now may take action against social media companies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
a reply to: TinySickTears

Google got caught and "adjusted" their "filters" on the results returned.

is this a serious comment?

i really dont know if you mean that.
i mean i guess but within the time he posted till the time i took a shot they corrected this?

come on man

it all sounds very unlikely.
at least less likely than the fake news criers are crying fake news

thats my stance as of now

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Grambler

When has government intervention ever benefitted the people the intervention was supposed to protect?

In general I agree.

However, I would say government intervention to stop rapists has helped rape victims or potential victims.

The point is this is a very serious issue that is very complicated.

The tech companies have so much power that if they all decided to act in concert to try to change public opinion, they would have a very good chance of doing so.

Especially considering there ideology is also dominating main stream journbalism, academics, and culture.

And given that these companies are already taking influence from government on who and what to censor, it seems like there may need to be a conversation of at what point does a company like google become a utility.

I dont know the asnwer, but the conversation needs to happen.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i saw a fridge in lowes the other day that was like 6 grand with a big ass led monitor as the front face of the door.

gotta get on insta while you nuke some # for the kid you neglect so you can post a selfie of some duck lipped bull# and then catch up on current events by way of your contacts tweets

It's far more nefarious than just that. These "smart appliances" are also monitoring everything. They are eerily akin to the Telescreens in 1984 through which the government monitored everyone's lives in their own homes. The difference is, it's corporations doing the monitoring in 2018. Conversations listened to, consumables recorded, advertising directed, habits logged, information sold. While the junkies and tech tweakers are getting their fixes, the tech corps are making bank off of peoples' deepest secrets and tendencies.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

people are too far gone i think.
cant real a lot of them back in

i agree with you but i am still blown away by the wifi fridge.

i think it had like 20 cameras in it.
dude said you can hit the screen and see what is inside the fridge without opening the door.
i guess

but wtf

6 grand for that.

ill pocket 55 hundo, hit the scratch and dent for the old # where i have to open the door to see what i dont have and party dude

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I don't trust the leftists and their censorship.

But right now, they are governed largely by public opinion and their shareholders.

Government has no such oversight and are beholding to none. Giving government control to "manage" free speech is the death knell for free speech.

In my opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I am not taking a stance on this one way or the other.

However, it is possible that if there was enough people noticing this, they rapidly switched it.

Norm McDonald is one of my favorite comedians.

He had a show on comedy central called Sports show.

They had a segment called "OH Google"

where he would do just this.

Wow I actually found a clip!

Now this is a little different, but on the next episode they google corrected it. However, he then typed in things about womens sports and hilarious results would come up on the auto fill in this time, and then google would switch it after the episode.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I don't trust the leftists and their censorship.

But right now, they are governed largely by public opinion and their shareholders.

Government has no such oversight and are beholding to none. Giving government control to "manage" free speech is the death knell for free speech.

In my opinion.

It a fair point.

But the government saying "you cant censor these viewpoints" seems to be different than the government saying "you have to censor these viewpoints"

Although no legislation has been put forth enforcing the latter, left leaning congress people have pressured facebook, twitter etc., to eliminate hate speech and fake news, which they define as largely conservative.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I am not taking a stance on this one way or the other.

However, it is possible that if there was enough people noticing this, they rapidly switched it.

i guess. i know # about how it works

i just dont trust people that trust super liars. i dont trust people that lie to defend super liars.

i would like to be able to trust this but i dont.

not saying it is not possible cause i just dont know anything about. if i had to guess i would say it is possible. sure.

i think it is far more likely to me at this point they are just lying.

i reserve the right to change my mind.

i need to know for sure but i dont know how i can know for sure seeing as google controls everything

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Did you see this arrogance personified?

James Woods - twitter

Fox

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

The Google part hasn't been proven yet. Not saying it isn't true,

Which part, that they were a CIA/NSF/NASA/NSA startup?

Or the part they were in the bag for Obama, were de facto part of his cabinet the entire 8 years??

Or the part where they target in various ways to marginalize (censor) anyone who disagrees with Obama / the Ruling Establishment / SJWhatever insanity / Hillary / MIC / CIA / Google / etc???

Or the part how their search engine manipulation is scientifically demonastrated to be able to swing a poll / election by several points????

I mean if you havent been paying attention the past couple years, well all the threads laying it all out they've been on here.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Although no legislation has been put forth enforcing the latter, left leaning congress people have pressured facebook, twitter etc., to eliminate hate speech and fake news, which they define as largely conservative.

See?

Government is already managing speech.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hey hey hey hey now!

Goo Goo Gah Gah Google, the ones that were core in triggering the Arab Spring, for Obama, no way we should worry about them being The Gatekeepers of the Internet.

I mean only like half a million people have died over it. NO BIG DEAL!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Right this is another reason I am leaning toward there needs to be an official government position in this matter.

Seeing as how the dmeocrats already exert an incredible amount of power over these companies, including telling them what they have to censor, it seems although its complicated that having the government officially act is better than allowing one side of the government to act behind the scenes and use this as their personal tool.

Or put another way;

If these social media companies were intentionally helping democrats who were in contact with them during elections, doesnt that constitute a campaign contribution?

And assumeing neither the democrats or these companies filed paperwork on that donation, shouldn't we be starting a criminal investigation?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Anti Trust Laws have been Broken by Big Tech , the President is Working on Correcting this . Stay Tuned....

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
if the democrats have so much power over these companies and these companies are filtering # why did trump win then?

please dont put this off on but russia or but hillary

if their reach is that vast then trump should have never made it

he made it

so whats the deal?

we know some polls said hillary was a lock and they were wrong

but google and these companies control it all

facebook and google and insta and twitter would know who you are talking to and what about.
these companies would have known how people were going to vote.

it does not make sense

edit on 28-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

they would know if people were on pro trump or pro hillary sites.
they would have known and hillary would have won.

so i must be missing something major yet right in the open that i cant see or its not true.

edit on 28-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

As for your constitutional argument, democrats were literally trying to get facebook to stop people from allowing foriegn people to post ads or comments on facebook.

How is that constitutional?

Trump insinuated that he would order the DOJ to investigate Google for something that isn't a crime and with no actual evidence of the non-crime to boot.

If you're referring to what I think you are, you're talking about some members of Congress writing a letter to the FEC and asking them to come up with suggestions on how to crack down on foreign political ad buys, which is already prohibited under federal law.

I don't see how these two things are comparable.

And we will see, it will be argued that facebook and google are public utilities, just like net neutrality argued, which again dems argued for.

And seeing as how the dems already showed us how thousands of dollars in russian troll ads on facebook could jeopardize an election, no doubt that logic will apply exponentially more to the people that control facebook censoring comments for one side and pushing for the other.

It was more than Democrats arguing in favor of net neutrality. I do however see the point you're making which is basically "be careful what you wish for because you might just get it" in terms of regulation of social media (and apparently search engines).

A few things:

1. Right-wing claims of censorship on the Internet predate any knowledge of the Russian social media campaign. It's not strictly a response to the revelation of Russian trolls operating on social media though it is often used as counterpoint in those discussions.

Which is how when Mark Zuckerberg was called to testify in front of Congress, we also got Diamond and Silk and their bogus claims.

2. There are already laws against foreign spending on election-related advertising. There's no need to regulate these sites like utilities for this purpose. Now, blocking trolls from posting is a whole different thing.

3. We probably really do need to figure out some way of regulating social media. I've looked at the various claims of censorship as they've cropped up and none of them have been particularly compelling. Alex Jones wasn't kicked off YouTube for being a conservative. Milo wasn't banned from Twitter for being a conservative. Facebook didn't actually do what Diamond and Silk claimed.

That said, a few sites do have an oligopoly on social media. While I think the recent claims are bunk, the threat itself is very real and we should take it very seriously. Like it or not, social media has become the most significant public marketplace for ideas and a few companies are both landlords and gatekeepers. It is entirely possible for them to influence public discourse unduly.

I don't have any answers. All I can say is there's a real risk there and I'm hoping we can innovate past it but if we can't, we might need to do something to protect speech.

None of that has anything to do with what Trump insinuated though. It's beyond his power to do anything except maybe encourage some legislation to pass Congress so he can sign it into law.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

if the democrats have so much power over these companies and these companies are filtering # why did trump win then?

he made it

so whats the deal?

Most of the filtering, I believe, has taken place after the election, in the form of the “resistance “

Maybe it was happening beforehand, but I’ve only been on Twitter since the election.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

he made it

so whats the deal?

we know some polls said hillary was a lock and they were wrong

but google and these companies control it all

facebook and google and insta and twitter would know who you are talking to and what about.
these companies would have known how people were going to vote.

it does not make sense

I think the idea is that these companies and the politicians they own are trying to ensure that type of "oopsie" doesn't happen again. I think hubris put Trump in the White House. The establishment(Dems and RINOs) and the media didn't believe Trump would win in 2016 or they'd have gone about their assaults much differently. Their arrogance knew no bounds.

ETA: There were also clear missteps that happened which they obviously didn't expect or, if they did, they grossly underestimated their impact. Issues such as "basket of deplorables," the rage-quit many of Bernie's supporters hit the actual election with following his concession, the number of working and middle class American voters who really did feel disenfranchised by the politics of the nation post-2008, and the number of American voters who still remember what this country used to be and want to experience it again over the happy horses#_t "think globally, act locally" nonsense.
edit on 28-8-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

he made it

so whats the deal?

Yes, he won i spite of that, its incredible isnt it?

Regardless on rather or not you believe the democrats have been in contact with these groups discussing what they should censor (they have)

the evidence speaks for itself that these outlets have censored conservatives and show clear liberal bias.

Here is an article that links to a report that shows all of these companies aiding dmeocrats and censoring republicans.

www.newsbusters.org...

Everything from twitter messing with hashtags to try and diminish the wikileaks story and shadow banning conservatives, to google searches favoring hillary during the election and having 96% of searches about trump come from liberal sites, to youtube shutting down conservative channels, to all of them using liberal groups like politifact, abc, and snopes as fact checkers to remove or bury what they consider fake news.

Despite all of this; trump still won, and still has over 40% approval.

Imagine what the results would be if the MSM and tech companies werent dominated by left left leaning coices that censor right leaning ones.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

he made it

so whats the deal?

Most of the filtering, I believe, has taken place after the election, in the form of the “resistance “

Maybe it was happening beforehand, but I’ve only been on Twitter since the election.

again, this is quite possible.

it sounds like some terminator # though.
i try to keep an open mind but its hard with what i am reading

google is filtering things
the deep state
fake news media
russia
china
antifa
leftists
the gays

but trump still won

all this started happening after the election???

it went from hillary is a lock to and these companies dont know # to they control the world and it only happened in the last 2 years.

the resistance???

it sounds more and more far fetched every day

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join