It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I warned trump haters; trump now may take action against social media companies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

To be fair, AFAIK, Trump twice tweeted a few lines about challenging media's Licenses. One can hardly characterize that as a temper tantrum.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

His threat to remove licenses werent something he was making a serious plan for.

In fact, he has been quite clear that he would rather have fake news than censorship.

But by that token, were the lefts calls to ensure russians trolls couldnt post on facebook indicative of their tacit acceptance of obama actually wiretapping journalists that ran mean stories about him?

I love people that dislike trump getting all in a tizzy over his stupid twitter rants that do nothing to hurt the press, but said nothing when Obama was actually spying on journalists critical of him.

The point of the thread is that the very hyperbolic that dmeocrats used in cpmplaining about the massive power of russian trolls on facebook will be used as a reason for the government to make sure facebook doesnt censor conservatoves.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

So a tweet from a year ago is to you a 'threat' to remove their license?

“Fake @NBCNews made up a story that I wanted a ‘tenfold’ increase in our U.S. nuclear arsenal. Pure fiction, made up to demean. NBC = CNN!” Trump wrote on Twitter, equating the two TV news outlets he has most often lashed out against. “With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!”

He is stating that with all of the fake news when do you challenge whether they are a real news agency. I see nothing wrong with this statement.

No no no!

Cant you see how that tweet is such a huge danger to the free press, and shows what a dictator trump is?

Now if he would have just wiretapped people at NBC like Obama did to rosen, then that would have been perfectly fine!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I spent months ridiculing the idea that 12 Russian trolls posting on facebook had a significant effect on the election.

and you repeat the same again here:

We were told how 12 russian trolls spending a few thousand bucks on facebook could swing or greatly influence an election.

and here:

If a dozen russian trolls using social media could have such an impact for one side

That's not factually accurate. Not even close. Internet Research Agency reportedly employed as many as 1,000 people out of that one St. Petersburg building as of 2015 (and according to Russian reports, there are other operations in other cities). The monthly budget for the interference campaign was put at about $1.25 million a month.

They didn't indict the grunts.

Myself and others keep telling the people that dislike trump; be careful cheering for corruption or ridiculous arguments, because these same tactics may be used by trump against people you like.

So... basically it will be everyone else's fault but Trump's if Trump tries to pull some #? I say "tries" because despite how he often seems to believe, American presidents aren't all powerful and while he can blabber all he wants about what he's going to "look into" there's really not anything he can do that wouldn't be unconstitutional, a gross abuse of power or likely some combination of the two.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If it was anyone but Trump talking about censoring social media and the internet I feel like there would be a 20 page thread with some very angry people talking about what is coming and us all being censored. When I googled Trump News this morning, the first box that popped up was Fox News. There were 2 others boxes, one linked to NBC, one linked to the BBC. The first 3 actual links went to Fox News. Then the rest were spread out over the majority of major news publications. I have a feeling what he's really saying here is that anything outside of Fox News and right wing news sites, all other media is just "left wing trash" and not fit for consumption, which is as scary as anyone else saying it. Of course just googling "Trump News" isnt the most effective way to actually tell what the news will be.

The algorithyms Google and other sites use will always have the major traffic and major ad revenue sites as one of the first links, algorithyms themselves are very faulty. We've seen that across Youtube and Facebook even when it comes to things that have nothing to do with politics, I do think there is probably a higher incidence of right wing sites being blocked, and I believe its in many cases because those are the sites that get flagged and reported more than others. I feel like a lot of people wont be happy until they can put in a google search and the first 4 results are Fox News, Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, and True Pundit.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Im starting to think Trump has a plan to have the democrats create their own instances or presidence to use against them when these sealed indictments start getting opened. Just take the Cohen case and could be able to use the attacks against him against some of these high rollers.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

His threat to remove licenses werent something he was making a serious plan for.

He was lying.

Well that's a relief.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

So lemme just say this, and maybe im the only one but...

Im voting Trump again NO MATTER WHAT at this point.

Social Media and all other media tricks will be disregarded.

I'll vote for him multiple times if i can.

Anyone else?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

He was lying.

Well that's a relief.

No, he was just being extremely careless without intent. Apparently, there's a difference.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Oh ok.

Thousands of Facebook trolls!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they also had Pokemon on their side as well!

Dear god, how did we ever survive!!!!

As for your constitutional argument, democrats were literally trying to get facebook to stop people from allowing foriegn people to post ads or comments on facebook.

How is that constitutional?

And we will see, it will be argued that facebook and google are public utilities, just like net neutrality argued, which again dems argued for.

And seeing as how the dems already showed us how thousands of dollars in russian troll ads on facebook could jeopardize an election, no doubt that logic will apply exponentially more to the people that control facebook censoring comments for one side and pushing for the other.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

A rare moment of disagreement.

Now I am no leftist.

But I think any government regulation into speech and platforms for speech is wrong.

Are the sites like Facebook, Google etc just havens of leftist douche-baggery?

yes.

As a society we are free to be as douche-baggery as we desire, as seen by leftist media and social media platforms.

I hate censorship.

But it is legal censorship. And if leftist douche-bag sites want to censor, then they have that legal right. It just paints themselves as douche-bag sites catering to leftist douche-bags.

They want an echo chamber.

The point is, free speech enables us to point out the douche-bag sites.

God forbid we get a ####ing commie like Warren or Sanders in charge of the internet.

The web should remain free, even if it is currently run by douche-tard leftist assholes.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Some of this might have to do with a MediaMatters, Soros-funded, pressure campaign. As intimated in one of their donor pitches:

Over the next four years, Media Matters will focus on achieving the following outcomes:

Serial misinformers and right-wing propagandists inhabiting everything from social media to the highest levels of government will be exposed.

Internet and social media platforms, like Google and Facebook, will no longer uncritically and without consequence host and enrich fake news sites and propagandists.

Toxic alt-right social media-fueled harassment campaigns that silence dissent and poison our national discourse will be punished and halted

After Facebook responded to our campaign by acknowledging the problem of fake news and agreeing to do something about it, we began a dialogue. It became clear from these conversations that Facebook needed our help in fully understanding the problem and identifying concrete solutions. Further, it also became clear that we had information and insight that they didn't have that was helpful in educating them on the full scope of the problem. For example, Media Matters had a detailed map of the constellation of right-wing Facebook pages t hat had been the biggest purveyors of fake news- as well as insight into the food chain of fake news and how it was moving through the Facebook ecosystem.

Similarly, after Google revised their terms of service in order to prohibit so-called fake news sites from using their advertising network, it was Media Matters that had the information necessary to identify 40 of the worst fake news sites to which this policy applied .

Mediamatters is not only the problem, but claim to be the solution. This is an obvious racket. Soros donated to MediaMatters because he believes the "rhetoric" of Fox news and the right will incite violence. Media matters admitted to helping google combat "fake news" and "educated" facebook on the topic. These are our censors.

freebeacon.com...
edit on 28-8-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The web should remain free, even if it is currently run by douche-tard leftist assholes

Said douche-tard leftist assholes currently running twitter, google etc don't want what you consider 'free', that's why they shadow ban and/or outright ban.

Your 'free' is hate speech, because brainwashed feelz, therefore, no more soup for you.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

BINGO....

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I am conflicted on the issue.

The libertarian in me says that there should be no government intervention.

However, I also know that government input has been involved in these social medias decisions of who to censor, so in a way the cats out of the bag.

In addition, these services are almost so universal that in order to have some basic functions such as information gathering, you almost have to use some of these programs.

A court has already ruled that it is illegal for trump to block people on twitter. Seems to show me they feel that this is a public good. And net neutrality pushed by the democrats seemed to argue that internet is a right or utility. Well it would seem google and the others mentioned are almost inexorably tied to that.

At one point phone lines were not considered a utility to be regulated. Imagine if bell atlantic said only republicans were allowed to have phones? Sort of the smae argument here.

The counter argument from my libertarian side is so what, then make your own facebook.

So I am conflicted.

On a side note, think how much more popular conservative ideas could be if the main stream media, universities, and all of these tech companies werent doing everything they cane to censor those viewpoints.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: trb71

Two things here:

1) Trump never said he was going to censor social media. Here are the tweets:

"Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake News Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of...."

AND

"....results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!"

2) Google makes claims of neutrality while manipulating the search results. 90% of the internet searches are performed using Google.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If the internet is "currently run by douche-tard leftist assholes", it won't be free for long.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

To be fair, Obama was fairly negative about press that is considered right leaning and regularly told people not to listen to it.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

To be fair, Obama was fairly negative about press that is considered right leaning and regularly told people not to listen to it.

And literally spied in journalists he didn’t like.

And prosecuted more whistle blowers going to the media than any president in history.

But ummmm......

Trump tweeted some things and that is so much worse!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Government regulation, but only the kind with which we agree because "Conservatives are being treated so unfair!" or some other nonsense of the sort.

Love the acceptance of neo-authoritarianism when it fits one's particular brand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join