It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women in the Military? Combat?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
In our society, males are viewed as the stronger sex and they have more positions of power, like head of companies, management jobs, heads of households, etc. Women usually don't have the type of power and control over people that men have. Some of these women, if suddenly put into a position of authority, might abuse the power they have over people. For example, many holocost survivors claim that the female SS officers were harsher than the male officers were, and that they acted more authorative than some of the males did. I'm not saying ALL women would do this, I'm saying that some would.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slayer
In our society, males are viewed as the stronger sex and they have more positions of power, like head of companies, management jobs, heads of households, etc. Women usually don't have the type of power and control over people that men have. Some of these women, if suddenly put into a position of authority, might abuse the power they have over people. For example, many holocost survivors claim that the female SS officers were harsher than the male officers were, and that they acted more authorative than some of the males did. I'm not saying ALL women would do this, I'm saying that some would.

So what's your point?
Given the chance some women may abuse power, therefore they should not be in such positions?
I'm not sure what you're saying.

Though, I think bringing up what you did is kind of pointless, given that many men, regardless of their being viewed as the 'stronger' sex, will also abuse power. It's a human thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I guess we would need to get a vote in here to see just how many are actually in favor of women in combat.

I would be interested in the results.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
As a women in the military I have found the only thing that stops women from succeeding in the military and being allowed in combat units are the male soldiers. Women can do any job a man can do to the standard in which it is needed. A women who passes her APFT with a pefect score is within the minimun standards of the men. This should be the requirement, for women to enter the combat units.
We know that women are "generally" weaker then men but we have our exceptions, within both sexes. This being said why should a substandard man have more of an oppurtunity to be placed in these rolls. But as for the differances in the male an female APFT's I think they should stay the same to allow women who dont want to take on combat roles to stay in the military.

As for the draft, if it is ever used again both sexes should be called upon. The lives of our nations sons and fathers are no less then the lives of our daughters and mothers.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Free will. If the woman wants it then let her go. They're smaller and more agile vs bigger and stronger, both have advantages.

The role of the man bringing home the bacon with the wife sitting at home cleaning and cooking waiting for her dear husband get home are long gone.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Why should the criteria of who doesnt 'belong' in the armed forces be sexual orientation or gender?
Can't a gay man or woman fight as effectively as a hetro male?

because it busts the balls of the men

I dont have a problem with it as long as the men dont have watch their mouths and refrain from swearing,

If women are willing and able to get down and dirty, let them.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
6.5 billion people on this planet tells me that the reproductive value of women means little or nothing. I think the reason you people don't want Women in combat roles is because you're a male protecting the tribe, which also could be why your wife disagrees. I think if a women signs up to the Army specificaly for combat then they sure as hell should be abled to.

[edit on 6/9/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
And any Women in a combat role in an army excluding the IDF is probably to butch be distracting.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have no problem with women in combat, as long as they are fighting for a just cause. A woman who is able and trained should be allowed in combat. How did that Jessica Lynch girl end up that situation, supposedly cowering in fear. Solider before Sex should be the creed if we ever need to engage in real combat again like WW2. Honestly, I can't see why anyone, man or woman should fight in profit wars. I'm so anti-war at this point that it's hard for me to even think about this.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
my bad this is actually Gallopinghordes who forgot to sign Seagull out now I'll repost under my own name.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ok now that the identity confusion is over.............

Ed and Regan I hate to be the one to break this to you but women have been fighting and dieing for this country since before the Revolutionary War. My Great Grandmother fought when attacked on the family ranch in Wyoming (wish we still had that). Women have fought in every war we've ever been in: now it's just official.

My brother is soon to depart again for Iraq; he is a gun truck commander; he has two soldiers on his truck one male and one female. He believes wholeheartedly that the young lady is the better soldier. Trust me it's tough for him to say that since he used to be the worst type of male chauvinist but he wishes they had more soldiers like her.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
With the change in the nature of war in the late twentieth and early twenty first centuries I don't see how women in combat can be avoided save by removing them from the military completely. That being clearly impossible, it's obvious to me that they will, whether we like it or not, see combat, and should be trained for it. There are no more "front lines"...combat can and will erupt most any where.

As for it causing problems in the barracks, that's a matter of discipline in the ranks, enforced with an iron hand. That is the job of the officers and non commissioned officers.

Women in combat is here to stay, like it or not. Since the US military is all volunteer, who are we to deny them the oppourtunity, such as it is, to serve where they choose.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If they can meet the same exact physical standards as a male soldier then I am all for it.

Ill admit im not a super expert on females in combat but I recall reading somewhere that everywhere it has been tried (Russia and the Israelis) that integrated units with both male and female soldiers suffered high casualty rates then all male combat units.

Do the Israelis and the Russians still have females in combat units?

[edit on 16-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
If they can meet the same exact physical standards as a male soldier then I am all for it.

Ill admit im not a super expert on females in combat but I recall reading somewhere that everywhere it has been tried (Russia and the Israelis) that integrated units with both male and female soldiers suffered high casualty rates then all male combat units.

Do the Israelis and the Russians still have females in combat units?

[edit on 16-9-2007 by ChrisF231]

I didn't know Israel ever allowed women to serve combat roles? Unless it was during the 6 day period. I read from Israeli news website that they are considering allowing women to serve in all military positions, including combat. I personally don't think women or homosexuals should serve in combat roles... It's going to create alot of problems, morale will be bad, every guy will be trying to get some, they'll be alot of jealously among the men. etc. I am no sexist, but thats just I feel on the subject.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I am pretty sure that Israel allows females into all military specialties including special forces ... I could be wrong though.

I will have to do some research and I will get a definite answer.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea, from the enemies perspective that is. I'm sure it'd liven up the parties at the POW camps. Now, how to convince our enemies that this is a good idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join