It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Pay Farmers $4.7 Billion to Offset Trade-Conflict Losses--Update

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Willtell
Isn't this welfare?

Yes it is...

And my 180 acres in Texas should bring in a nice little chunk of change and I'm not even a farmer, just a land owner. Now we get free stuff from Trump.

Capitalism twisted into a most obscene shape eh? Thanks GOP!!!

Democrats started farm subsidies. This is intended as a short term stop-gap. So if you hate farm subsidies blame Democrats.

Where did you get the idea that I hate farm subsidies. I'm a beneficiary with my Texas 1/4 section; actually a little bigger 180acres. I don't care who started the subsidies; it's the GOP in control now and I'll take all the money they want to give me and so will the other 1k farmers in my county.

This farm has been in my family for 100+ years, and now it's mine, I'm familiar with subsides, soil banks, oil and gas leases,
ARC, PLC, conservation subsidies, Disaster aid, the government even pays for my crop insurance in case of hail, flood or drought, etc. And I'm just small fry, can you imagine what the Corporate farms rake in from the taxpayer.

Doin business the American way....MAGA MAGA and trump isn't about to change the SOP. He's basically bribing the farmers with this subsidy and I'm fine with it....I too read "Art of the Deal"
edit on 28-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: rickymouse

sometimes I think you and I are the only folks here that really consider just how destructive American farming practices have become.

I think there are more who can see it. But many look the other way so they can get cheap food. The money they save buying poor foods they can waste on things they do not really need....even though they think they need it.

We live in a society where deception runs wild.

(post by Willtell removed for political trolling and baiting)
(post by BlueJacket removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
That's crazy how is it they bitch about helping the poor but millionaire farmers get the vest handouts!

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You mean like actual welfare, which mostly goes to white people? Way to be racist and wrong at the same time.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I got the idea from you bashing the GOP for it. I guess you just can't help yourself from bashing them even when you like what they are doing. TDS in action.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is a tiny amount of the Federal budget, and is a down payment on initiatives which will pay off well over a thousand fold! But the folks who can't see this won't invest and will truly enjoy the scraps...

a reply to: howtonhawky

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

Maybe.

Can you give examples from the past of when subsidies have been a positive.

It would help many understand much.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Isn't this welfare?

Yes it is...

And my 180 acres in Texas should bring in a nice little chunk of change and I'm not even a farmer, just a land owner. Now we get free stuff from Trump.

Capitalism twisted into a most obscene shape eh? Thanks GOP!!!

Democrats started farm subsidies. This is intended as a short term stop-gap. So if you hate farm subsidies blame Democrats.

Where did you get the idea that I hate farm subsidies. I'm a beneficiary with my Texas 1/4 section; actually a little bigger 180acres. I don't care who started the subsidies; it's the GOP in control now and I'll take all the money they want to give me and so will the other 1k farmers in my county.

This farm has been in my family for 100+ years, and now it's mine, I'm familiar with subsides, soil banks, oil and gas leases,
ARC, PLC, conservation subsidies, Disaster aid, the government even pays for my crop insurance in case of hail, flood or drought, etc. And I'm just small fry, can you imagine what the Corporate farms rake in from the taxpayer.

Doin business the American way....MAGA MAGA and trump isn't about to change the SOP. He's basically bribing the farmers with this subsidy and I'm fine with it....I too read "Art of the Deal"

So in between posting on ats about your serious bank roll from your sag card and filming chupracabra films you also find the time to fail at farming and receive government handouts?

Do tell how a successful and wealthy person that you have portrayed on these boards should receive government subsidies.

This is not a digg at you but inquiring minds want to know how you justify such. Please do not take it personally.

edit on 29-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: m

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

So in between posting on ats about your serious bank roll from your sag card and filming chupracabra films you also find the time to fail at farming and receive government handouts? Do tell how a successful and wealthy person that you have portrayed on these boards should receive government subsidies.

I never said I was a farmer. I'm just the owner of the acreage that's been in my family for 100+ years, and lease it out to a farmer. Actually the farmer is quite successful on this piece of ground with bumper crops of onions, wheat, cotton and soybeans.... unless the weather doesn't cooperate.

It's the Dept. of Agriculture that offers the subsides to all land owners with land under cultivation. Why should I turn down money to help in the conservation and development of MY farm? The oil companies get government subsidies to develop oil and gas wells on my farm. Also an added benefit for Texas land owners. Do I detect a hint of jealousy? Do you think if trump wants to give us money; we should turn it down?

Educate yourself and research what kind of govt. subsidies the corporate farms receive. Like Monsanto.

www.cfra.org...

edit on 29-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Why should I turn down money to help in the conservation and development of MY farm? The oil companies get government subsidies to develop oil and gas wells on my farm.

So you do not blame people for abusing the welfare system then?

The reason you should turn down such is because unless you can show due cause of effect from tariffs then you or your farm have not been effected.

How has your operation been effected by tariffs? If there is a valid answer then you have the right to them beyond your illogical reasoning that if it is available then you should take. That mentality is one big problem with America.

No i am not jealous but confused cause you have posted against welfare in the pastas far as i can remember. I could be confusing that though. Do not think of me as a jealous hater but as a fan.

What about pride?
edit on 29-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

No i am not jealous but confused cause you have posted against welfare in the pastas far as i can remember. What about pride?

Now you are getting personal. But I cop to the accusation, I'm just a redneck trying to get by....

Don't blame me, it's the GOP giving away taxpayer dollars this time. Usually they favor the oil companies and war profiteers, that make obscene profits and now with my oil and gas leases, I'll get a little of that as well.

I thank the good Lord every night for being blessed with good fortune. It wasn't always that way...when I lived on the farm it was just backbreaking toil and fear of drought and hail.
edit on 29-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

So I don't see how doesn't count as welfare. Can someone explain that to me? We are basically paying farmers to not farm. How is that not welfare?

Its mostly white people that’s why they don’t call it welfare

When most of the farmers are black, or Hispanic, then it will be welfare

And what percentage of the workers that work for farmers are dark skinned that also benefit?

I swear you guys on the left are starting to sound more and more racist with every passing year trump is in office, getting back to your roots are we?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob420
That's crazy how is it they bitch about helping the poor but millionaire farmers get the vest handouts!

Most farmers are in now way millionaires

You should probably educate yourself more on where your food comes from, and how.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

No i am not jealous but confused cause you have posted against welfare in the pastas far as i can remember. What about pride?

Now you are getting personal. But I cop to the accusation, I'm just a redneck trying to get by....

Don't blame me, it's the GOP giving away taxpayer dollars this time. Usually they favor the oil companies and war profiteers, that make obscene profits and now with my oil and gas leases, I'll get a little of that as well.

I thank the good Lord every night for being blessed with good fortune.

I am not trying to get too personal. So srry if i crossed your line of comfort.

What are some of the recent examples of hardship out of your control that the farming operation you are involved in have suffered or any suffering you feel may come in the future due to the tariffs.

Do not feel obligated to answer but i can imagine the question would be coming from the county extension office if you sought aid.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

So I don't see how doesn't count as welfare. Can someone explain that to me? We are basically paying farmers to not farm. How is that not welfare?

Its mostly white people that’s why they don’t call it welfare

When most of the farmers are black, or Hispanic, then it will be welfare

And what percentage of the workers that work for farmers are dark skinned that also benefit?

I swear you guys on the left are starting to sound more and more racist with every passing year trump is in office, getting back to your roots are we?

When you look at the crops targeted by these subsidies it is not the types of crops that require hands on labor since most of these crops are harvested with machinery so the amount of brown skinned workers that will benefit from this is much lower than a crop like tomatoes or oranges.

That does not mean though that many will not benefit.

Also back sometime around 2013 the former potus did indeed address the black farming issue with subsidies.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Most farmers are in now way millionaires

That is a loaded statement since you did not make a distinction between workers and owners.

Many call themselves farmers and do not own a farm but simply work at one and you are correct they are not millionaires however the amount of millionaire farm owners is high due to the cost of equipment. So it is really just a hard thing to track logically.

Depending on how one looks at the situation cause just owning much farm equipment does not make you a millionaire unless one is being audited by the irs...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join