It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange lawyer wants Malcolm Turnbull to ‘stand up to Trump administration’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This from Australian media. It appears Assange fears extradition to the US and punishment from the Trump Administration:

the Australian WikiLeaks founder in exile at a London embassy — wants the Turnbull Government to urgently intervene in his case as he faces the imminent prospect of expulsion from his refuge.

Assange could be kicked out of the Ecuadorean Embassy in the coming weeks after that country’s new president indicated he wanted the 47-year-old to leave, and only intended to ensure he wouldn’t face the death penalty if extradited to the United States. The WikiLeaks boss has been at the embassy since 2012.

The development comes as new British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt claimed Assange was facing “serious charges” from local police. But there is confusion about what they are, as he is only facing a minor charge for breaching bail.

Source

I admit I'm not 100% on what exactly Assange can be charged with considering he's not a US citizen? Whether the charges in the UK are relevant as well? We know he released private and confidential information, top secret information, but then again he was only really a middle man? We know that there have been calls within the Trump Administration to have Assange charged... Sessions stated it was priority to bring him in and have him charged. There's also this little tid bit from 2016:

Trump priasing Wikileaks for releasing hacked info on his opponent during the 2016 elections. So it's questionable how he could justify charging them considering he's praised them? And on what? It's lala land I suppose. We'll have to wait and see what happens once Assange is expelled from the embassy.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Assange is days behind the news. Turnbull is no longer the PM of Australia.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Assange is days behind the news. Turnbull is no longer the PM of Australia.
Ouch, that's embarrassing for the OP...

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Ah whoever is PM then I suppose. Makes little difference, he's asking for the Australian government to step him and protect him from the Trump Administration.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

I love it how your main concern is the fact I didn't know they changed PMs in Australia two days ago.... apparently in the same party... their 4th one in 5 years from what I can see. It's irrelevant to what the lawyer is pleading. Desperate attempt at derailment Arnie.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The Chinese PLA Cyber warfare group have done far more damage to America than Julian Assange could ever dream of doing in one night.

Where is that being investigated? The DoD has proof of Chinese government hacking multiple US accounts containing sensitive information that undermines the capabilities of the USA to defend itself from an attack.

#Priorities.

edit on 28-8-2018 by UnholyBishop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Arnie123

......they changed PMs in Australia two days ago.... apparently in the same party... their 4th one in 5 years from what I can see.

Its like the thunderdome down here, survival of the fittest - mob rule.

The US was caught with their pants down thanks to Wikileaks and Bradley (Chelsea) Manning. Since Manning was pardoned by the US government, Assange, by default, should also be.

As to the Swedish rape allegations, and them previously being dismissed by the UN, the US has no jurisdiction with any of it.

As to George Soros wanting one of his Wikileaks lawyers to encourage the new fresh and crisp Aust PM to go in and bat for Assange, it'll be interesting development as Trump has never come across as anti-Assange from what I can recall.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Assange been dead bro. Pleading to Australia does not even make sense. They are one of our staunchest allies and frequently join in on our global escapades.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

C'mon, can't we just drone this guy?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There are a lot of myths around Assange. Many created out of the Assange camp.

1. If Assange leaves the Ecuadorean embassy he will be arrested on an existing UK warrant for skipping bail. Assange's lawyers recently tried to have the warrant overturned on account of his celebrity status, but the warrant was upheld. UK Crown Court judgements

2. There was examination of Assange's fear of extradition (and subsequent automatic electrocution) and this was found to be unfounded. For example, in the 13th February judgement the summary says...

62. Having weighed up the factors for and against and considered Mr Summers’ arguments I find arrest is a proportionate response even though Mr Assange has restricted his own freedom for a number of years. Defendants on bail up and down the country, and requested persons facing extradition, come to court to face the consequences of their own choices. He should have the courage to do so too.

3. In the UK politicians cannot simply intervene to stop the course of law. That includes the Australian PM.

4. Assange needs to man-up.
edit on 28/8/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As a fellow Australian I have 2 points to make:

1. Assange really hasn't been given much assistance at all from successive Aussie governments. They've effectively abandoned him for political reasons. He should be afforded the same assistance as any other of us Aussies can expect to be given if we get into trouble overseas. Regardless of whether people think he did the right or wrong thing, he should be afforded that basic assistance that all Australians are entitled to.

2. The leadership thing. Yeah. So.....umm......how to explain this......we don't have a Presidential system here, we are under the Westminster system that has the quirk of being that a voter votes for the party, not the leader. If the party gets sick of the leader they can have an internal party "spill" meeting and vote for another party leader. Most Aussies, for decades, never really realized this because parties usually stuck with their leader for the whole term.......until a decade ago Kevin Rudd got rolled by Julia Gillard and set in motion a chain of events that has resulted in 6 Prime Ministers in 10 years. Don't worry, us regular Aussies are sick to death of it and the joke our parliament has become. The current party is toast at the next election, they might even break apart.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Assange been dead bro. Pleading to Australia does not even make sense. They are one of our staunchest allies and frequently join in on our global escapades.

True that... Doesn't even matter who the prime minister currently is.

Fact is, if the US wants him, the Australian government will not make any attempt to oppose it.

Frankly, I think the guy must be becoming delusional & desperate, to think it was even worth the effort of asking the Australian government to criticise the US on his behalf.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I love it how your main concern is the fact I didn't know they changed PMs in Australia two days ago

The article you posted is a month old.

Yes, perhaps you should have known since it was a luke warm topic from two days ago.

Assange is an Australian citizen and therefore is NOT subject to US Laws and never has been. The US can go knot a rope!

Australian Politics has the same problem that the US has. Far too many Deep State Dingoes in positions of power.

Repairs to our system are in progress.

MAGA Mate!

Make Australia Great Again ... Mate!

P

edit on 29/8/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Maybe Trump is learning how to do this... bring him in and offer him either immunity or 100 years...

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Turncoat bull is not going to do anything anyway; he's been replaced as the PM by another unelected politicians.

Mind you, there is no provision for a prime minster in the commonwealth of Australia Constitution anyway.

All Australian govts will throw Assange to the wolves without even being asked. That's how much of a slave state they are to the US.

new topics

top topics

join