It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., Mexico reach NAFTA deal, turn up pressure on Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I had no idea that there were just about one trillion dollars in yearly trade between Mexico, USA, and Canada. As the title says it would appear that Mexico and America have a deal worked out for the most part. Who would have thought ? The deal between the United States and Mexico has a 16-year lifespan, with a review every six years that can extend the pact for 16 years.. Sounds like a win win to me..

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States and Mexico agreed on Monday to overhaul the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), putting pressure on Canada to agree to new terms on auto trade and dispute settlement rules to remain part of the three-nation pact.

NEW AUTO RULES

The Mexico-U.S. discussions focused on crafting new rules for the automotive industry, which Trump has put at the heart of his drive to rework a pact he has repeatedly described as a “disaster” for American workers.

Some other news of the agreement is the workers in foreign countries will be required to make at least 16$ if I read the article correctly..

The Trump administration said the deal improves labor provisions, in part by requiring 40 percent to 45 percent of auto content to be made by workers earning at least $16 per hour.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Excellent.
2nd Line.

S&F

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Trudeau is screwing things up for Canada because he thinks it will help his voter base to be against the trade deals Trump has offered... and Trump offered fair trade deals early on.

Maxime Bernier has the right attitude about trade for Canada, and within Canada. Unfortunately he has split from the Conservative party due to some strong differences of opinion within the party, including trade with the US.

We need Trudeau gone, and a government that is willing to look after the interests of all Canadians, not just a few.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Some other news of the agreement is the workers in foreign countries will be required to make at least 16$ if I read the article correctly..

Hmmm, not sure if that's what it means. Making $16 per hour in Mexico would be awesome.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

President Trump said today that there is no more NAFTA. It's being renamed the U.S.-Mexico Trade Agreement. If Canada joins in, the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Hmmm, not sure if that's what it means. Making $16 per hour in Mexico would be awesome.

That is correct. The Mexican president loved this. Ford (for example) will have to pay employees in Mexico at least $16.00 @ hour.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

That is correct. The Mexican president loved this. Ford (for example) will have to pay employees in Mexico at least $16.00 @ hour.

My first thought about the $16 an hour was there would be those who would kill for such a job in Mexico. youtu.be...

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Trump is holding the auto industry literally hostage to gain the upper hand on other goods.

Some good is coming from this, but at the same time, it's immoral to be honest. Threatening to destroy Canada's auto industry just because of dairy and lumber tariffs? What good will this do for dairy coming from the US? I know for damn sure I won't be touching any dairy product coming from the states with a ten foot pole after a deal is done. There's a reason why these tariffs are in place, it's to protect Canadian farmers, not to just screw over American ones.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Negotiation is give and take.

It seems that Canada is relying on Trump hate to get them through.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Negotiation is give and take.

It seems that Canada is relying on Trump hate to get them through.

No. This is just Trump wanting to take, and take. The American dairy industry is already extremely over inflated and gluttonous, they over produce to the extreme and throw away millions and millions of pounds dairy product a year and the government needs to bail them out for waste. If a deal is done, this will just flood Canadian markets. All the while Trump will just sit down and say "25% of Automobiles coming from Canada, or else". That's all he needs to do to make a deal. It's twisted.
How will Canada come out of this deal with something good? Mexico had no-where but to go up since they were paying their employees like 5 dollars a day.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I dont know how canada negotiates a trade deal. But its in your best interest to figure it out

Trudeau seems more interested in pandering to anti trump sentiment.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

I dont know how canada negotiates a trade deal. But its in your best interest to figure it out

Maybe it's because he told him to his face that Canadian citizens will suffer? When you speak like that, how else are Canadians supposed to react?

"OH SORRY MR TRUMP, YESSIR. We'll just allow your hormone filled overly pasteurized milk to spill over into our grocery stores, here take as much lumber as you want!"

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Oh man ! Mexicans will love Trump now.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
So what happens when they catch Mexico cheating & not paying $16 ???

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Negotiations.

You can react, which is what Canada has done. Or you can respond, which is what Mexico did.

Which one seems more like a winning move?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Maybe it's because he told him to his face that Canadian citizens will suffer? When you speak like that, how else are Canadians supposed to react?

"OH SORRY MR TRUMP, YESSIR. We'll just allow your hormone filled overly pasteurized milk to spill over into our grocery stores, here take as much lumber as you want!"

I ahve a solution for that...its called NOT BUYING IT. Vote with your money. if its not profitable to sell milk or dairy in canada then it will solve itself.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This sounds like a great deal for Mexico but not so significant for the US ,atleast upfront without seeing more details.

1. The manufacturing plants are already in Mexico

2. The Mexican workforce is already experienced and knowledgeable on the manufacturing process.

So why would US car manufactures like ford want to spend hundreds of millions to move factories back to America to pay an equal or higher wage in America?

In addition:
1. The American work force needs to be educated and brought up to speed with the Mexican work force.

2. The American work force will likely require more than $16 bucks an hour and according to the doc its more like 58Hr

www.reuters.com...
American automakers pay Mexican workers $8 to $10 per hour, including benefits. Even among the Detroit Three, there is a gap, according to the CAR: GM’s labor costs average $58 per hour, while Ford is at $57 per hour and FCA workers average $48. That difference is partly because FCA has more workers earning the lower, entry-level wage.

3. The American work force has to comply with American rules and regulations such as workers comp,benefits, unions, and workers rights such as 40 hr work weeks and overtime, etc....

I would like to see more information , but while this sounds great for the US , I'm not sure that is nearly enough to make a significant difference.

One thing is for certain truck prices are likely to skyrocket depending on existing labor cost in mexico. So here is to the 150K F150. On a good note I will likely be able to sell my F350 for a profit in 10 years.

Also I would imagine $16/ hr in mexico is not a bad wage based on the existing cost of living in the area, I wouldn't be surprised an Influx of Americans migrating over to Mexico for the jobs.

While this is Interesting nonetheless and it appears to be a positive step in the right direction, I would like to see the details before declaring this as a positive or significant change vs a PR stunt.

edit on 23831America/ChicagoTue, 28 Aug 2018 11:23:54 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Trump started a trade war on something that wasnt an issue before. Maybe stop being greedy and meddling in everyone's business. Trueduea responded, it wasn't a reaction. And look at trump now, threatening tens of thousands of canadians because of greed.
edit on 28-8-2018 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

He responded poorly, you can sit and hammer out as good a deal as you can or you do a PR stunt and possibly end up with Table scraps.

He chose a PR stunt, Mexico despite all the public back and forth sat down and got to haggling, Ill be honest I fully expected the deal to be done with Canada and Mexico getting the short end of the stick.

So I am pleasantly surprised by this turn of events.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Trump started a trade war on something that wasnt an issue before. Maybe stop being greedy and meddling in everyone's business. Trueduea responded, it wasn't a reaction. And look at trump now, threatening tens of thousands of canadians because of greed.

Negotiating for a better position isn't greedy...its life.

You can't complain about people being greedy when there is trade involved. Thats just sour grapes.

I'd recommend you guys get with your leader and demand he negotiate. There is no "trade war" unless Trudeau participates.

It isn't greed when US citizens are currently hurting and need better trade arrangements. Saying that is ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join