It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Report Says; Pakistani Troops Ordered to Shoot Intruding US Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
According to a report from former CIA officer Philip Giraldi, Islamabad has ordered the Pakistani army to fire at US Troops who intrude the Pakistan border from Afghanistan without authorization and coordination with the Pakistani military.

www.eians.com
"Pakistan has issued new rules of engagement permitting its army to fire at US forces that cross the border from Afghanistan without coordinating first," the Daily Times newspaper said Tuesday in a report from Washington.

The report is based on a "deep background" column in the magazine 'American Conservative' by former CIA officer Philip Giraldi, who is now an international security consultant and writer on intelligence matters.

"President Musharraf has been receiving angry reports from his military that US forces have been engaging in hot pursuit across the border in violation of bilateral agreements," the article said.

The Pakistan president is also said to be unhappy about the recent abrupt withdrawal of Predators and other surveillance resources from Pakistan for transfer to Iraq for use against Iran, the report said.

Quoting high-level Pakistani sources, it said Musharraf and his army chiefs "expended a great deal of political capital" in their support of the Al Qaeda hunt, clashing frequently with hostile tribesmen along the border.

"The US Central Command's January announcement that the drones and other supporting surveillance technologies that were being used against Al Qaeda would be withdrawn to support 'elections in Iraq' was an unpleasant surprise, particularly when 'in Iraq' turned out to be a euphemism for 'against Iran'," it added.

The drones have not yet been returned and many operations in the border areas are reported to be on hold, the report said.

"Musharraf has had a difficult time explaining to his own supporters in the military, and to the Pakistani public, why he continues to be so supportive of US policies in the region," it said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the report suggests, this is probably being done to regain some attention by Musharraf, however I don't find it that illogical that Pakistan or any other country would not take the same stance and fire shots (hopefully in warning) to any foreign troops who enter without their knowledge. Hopefully confusion and communications will not cost anyone their lives or start another conflict.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well he joined us because he didn't have a choice.......its not public but it is what happened....

He needs to distance himself publicly, hopefully in the background he doesn't.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I agree. Musharrif has to show he's no puppet, and frankly, from the Pakistani point of view, I believe they have every right to maintain their territorial integrity and not cede it to outside powers, no matter how friendly or powerful.

The US should darned well ask for permission and cooperation, and not take it for granted. Bear in mind I say this while hoping that the Pakistani government will indeed show every cooperation in the good cause of rooting out the Taliban and finding Osama and his henchmen.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well if something does happen, you can't say the US wasn't warned. When reports first came out a few months ago that US troops had allegedly crossed into Pakistan, Musharrif issued a veiled that his country would defend his borders. Now hes come right out and said that us troops crossing the border will be fired upon. Hope the troops have a good idea exactly where the boder lies.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
People you have to understand that either he was with the US or he would have faced retaliation from the US also.

But most are forgetting that Pakistan is still and will remaind a breeding ground for terrorist activities.

Since Sept. 11, the Bush administration has portrayed Pakistan as a frontline ally in the war on terrorism, but critics say that the Pakistani government's cooperation has been spotty at best. Thousands of members of al-Qaida -- including Osama bin Laden -- are believed to have taken refuge in Pakistan under a political and military regime with strong ties to fundamentalist Islamic terrorist groups. Elements within the Pakistani military and intelligence agencies have connections with al-Qaida and the Taliban, and longstanding ties with numerous other terrorist groups.

Then lets not forget that Pakistan also has nuclear power.

members.lycos.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Interesting, But Is It True?

I'm not ready to buy this just yet.

I don't care who you are, everyone in the world knows what happens when you start shooting at U.S. troops, and I have a hard time believing Pakistan wants things to go in that direction.

If the story is true, then I don't give Musharraf much time left. And not necessarily because that would be a dumb thing to do, but because someone making decisions like that is not going to last long in the hot seat from which the military dictator of Pakistan must rule.

Any despot supported by the U.S. would be ill-advised to start shooting at us.

In fact, I don't recommend that anyone in the world shoot at our troops.

Statistics show overwhelmingly that such behavior is decidedly unhealthy.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
IMHO, I'm seeing this as for internal (for those within Pakistan)consumption.

Besides being among one of the largest nuclear proliferators in the world, they are also one of the most anti-American.
Pakistan world's most anti-US country: Report
Pakistan most anti-American country

Musharraf is working to appease those within his country, thus hopefully securing his position a bit more. The biggest game in town is anything counter to the U.S. Perception is different from diplomatics. Please bear in mind that virtually all of Musharraf's military ruling class is and has been Western trained. Pakistan is currently recieving 3 billion plus in military aid from the U.S., among other things. Musharraf is going through the motion of anti-American defiance semantics.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Domestic Diplomacy

Originally posted by Seekerof
Musharraf is going through the motion of anti-American defiance semantics.

This is the only theory that makes sense to me.

I sincerely doubt that such orders were ever actually given, or would be taken seriously even if they were.

Would you want to be the guy forced to carry out such orders? I know I sure wouldn't!

new topics

top topics

join