It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FBI Says Its Name Being Used to Spread Computer Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The FBI is warning that a virus is being circulated in unsolicited emails, which claims to be coming from the Bureau. The FBI recently had to close it's website due to security breaches. A spokesperson says the two incidents seemed unrelated.

ap.tbo.com
The e-mails appear to come from an fbi.gov address. They tell recipients that they have accessed illegal Web sites and that their Internet use has been monitored by the FBI's "Internet Fraud Complaint Center," the FBI said.

The messages then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions. The computer virus is in the attachment.

"Recipients of this or similar solicitations should know that the FBI does not engage in the practice of sending unsolicited e-mails to the public in this manner," the FBI said in a statement.

The bureau is investigating the phony e-mails.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As a conspiracy board filled with a few paranoid internet users, emails from the FBI should and would be of concern. Hopefully none of our ATS members have recieved this virus. As with all unsolicited emails, it's best to delete rather than be curious.

[edit on 2-22-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wouldnt this be the easiest way to spread a virus? What if it actually IS coming from the FBI and they want us to think it truly isnt?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Wouldnt this be the easiest way to spread a virus? What if it actually IS coming from the FBI and they want us to think it truly isnt?

Huh? Why would the FBI want you to have a virus? They would prefer to monitor your activities, not decimate your system.
It's a common spoof, just like the bank emails saying "Please verify your account information"
The writers of the viri are hoping you will go "Oh my" "Why did the FBI send me an email"

Regardless if it was from the FBI or not, I personally never open an attachment from someone I do not know....and even then, you do not know what you are getting. Update your virus definitions...remain calm

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am free from viruses. Hell I dont even get a spam period. It isnt blocked I just dont get it. Im safe

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The agency earlier this month shut down fbi.gov accounts, used to communicate with the public, because of a security breach. A spokeswoman said the two incidents appear to be unrelated.

Well, if they have to shut down because of a"security breach",who can feel safe???

Wait a minute...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As a follow up to the FBI email, here are two others, that you need to be aware of.

"Three sets of e-mails which promise either nude pictures of Paris Hilton, a scary offical-looking warning from the FBI, or a secret admirer who says "I love you" have appeared in the last two days. They all deliver a package that could grind networks to a halt. "

news.zdnet.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You Think THAT's Scary?

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
What if it actually IS coming from the FBI and they want us to think it truly isnt?

Or even worse: How do we even know this is the real FBI putting out this warning?

What if this is actually the Virus FBI, and this announcement is one of the ways they are fighting the Real FBI?

But then, if this is the Virus FBI, then what happened to the Real FBI?

Oh my God. What if, what if... what if the Virus FBI has already taken over the Real FBI?

What if hackers are running the FBI?

Aiieeeee! Condition Red! Head for the hills! Trust no one, suspect everyone!

Quick, PANIC!

top topics

join