It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Prescription Drugs Linked to Increased Dementia Risk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Same here.

I read about it and it seemed like one of those things with no real facts to back it up. I pierced mine anyway and no headaches

They say it doesn't work for everyone, but I figured worse case scenario was I ended up with cool piercings. I read as much as possible about the subject and learned that if the piercer doesn't know accupuncture points chances are it wouldn't work, so I made numerous calls and talked to several people who'd had success and could recommend someone who knew what they were doing- and was fortunate enough to find someone in my city who knew what she was doing and had a very high success rate with it. Best decision of my life!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I haven't had a major attack in very long time now. Last one was when I was pregnant and kiddo is going on 8.

I don't do needles well, so piercings are out. I don't even have my ears pierced.

The migraine regime is very stable and has been for a long, long time now.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I won't go into psychiatric drugs and how their exact effects on brain health are not even known, except to say learning to cope is better than pickling your brain with drugs that shrinks hand out like candy, drugs that have made many peoples' lives worse.

As to antihistamines and other anticholinergics, it's the First Generation, older drugs that are in question as to dementia. A primary list of those culprits:

diphenhydramine
xybutynin chloride
chlorpheniramine maleate
olanzapine
meclizine hydrochloride
doxepin hydrochloride

The antihistamines in the list are very common drug store preparations.

What, at this point, is recommended is that people move on to Second Generation antihistamines, at least until it's discovered peoples' heads or limbs start falling off, down the road:

loratadine (brand names include Alavert, Claritin)
cetirizine (brand names include Zyrtec)
fexofenadine (brand names include Allegra)

Kidding aside, thus far they have a good safety record, though, as I recall, fexofenadine seemed to have worse possible side effects. In defense of the FDC, they cannot make sure every drug is safe over very long periods of time and allow anything new to go to market, hence nobody benefited, perhaps in their lifetime. There is also that hazards have to be weighed against relief provided, despite the risks, giving people that choice.

As for using the First Generation occasionally for sinuses (people should stop using them for sleep aids!), one Alzheimer's Association doctor said, "If you are taking it for a week, I wouldn't think that's a huge risk. If you are taking it for 3 years, that would be more concerning to me."

In the study, taking, for instance, around 90 pills, over a ten year period, wasn't a hazard, but this also goes to show the First Generation should be out the door for people with any chronic need. Like the doctor said, using them for a few days, if you have a severe cold or such, a couple times or so a year, no big deal. Anything more? Start looking at the Second Generation antihistamines. Note the Second Generation are not much use as sleep aids, though cetirizine is reported as having some cognitive impairment, though not as strongly as the First Generation. I believe regular use of any synthetic sleep aid is a very bad idea, as, of course, they're doing something to brain chemistry, in my opinion not something to be mucking around with, until every other alternative on the planet is exhausted. After all, many people online seem to have little brains to spare, perhaps one pill, and you'll find yourself in a coma! Before even learning to be coherent and about spell checkers! (Sorry. It's hard to resist...)

A study on the First Generation pills: Cumulative Use of Strong Anticholinergic Medications and Incident Dementia

Anyway, you need to be thanked for posting an important article people need to see. Oh! Also, from long ago, there's a warning against cooking with aluminum pans and Alzheimer's, especially any acidic concoction, apparently your tin foil headgear alright, but eating it? Not so.
edit on 28-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Phrase change.

<< 1   >>

join