It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USAF gives some hint about the future of the B-52

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
In addition to the seeming endless process to get new engines on the BUFF, it looks like the USAF is looking for alot of other improvements in its aging but oh so capable bomber.

The want the new engines to deliver 400 kilovolt-amps (kVA) to 500 kVA to power digital systems and future 'stuff"
Glass cockpit similar to the one being installed on Block 45 KC-135R's
Improved electronic warfare systems
Jam resistant equipment
A potential hard kill system for enemy missiles (could involve directed energy making use of the above power)
Relocation of its SNIPER pod and improvements in the pod and perhaps other targeting capabilities
Upgrade of some of the ejection seats

As always this is more of a wish list than anything else.

If I were a betting man this is what I think they will get as they are either easy to do, use existing systems etc

The increased electrical output
The glass cockpit
Ejection seat upgrade.
www.thedrive.com...
edit on 8/27/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Amazing life. My cousin who is in his eighties used to fly them when he was in his twenties.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You seem knowledgeable, do you think the Airforce has something so advanced that it would make the B-52 obsolete.
I am not saying the Airforce would make it known for like 30 years or something but it is just that they are still using jet engines right? Some scientists somewhere had to discover something in the last 50 years.

Either way your upgrades seem powerful.

I guess they must be thinking if people don't know then they won't search how to make it, for example nukes.

Sorry if it is off topic but you seem to know your stuff.
edit on 27-8-2018 by watchandwait410 because: Sorry if it is off topic but you seem to know your stuff.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The want the new engines to deliver 400 kilovolt-amps (kVA) to 500 kVA to power digital systems and future 'stuff"
a reply to: FredT

500 kva is over 2000 amps at 240 volts. That’s enough electricity to power about two dozen homes. I assume future stuff means airborne lasers? That would make a nice satellite killer system.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I worked on the Buff for a few years, almost 20 years ago, still a strong dependable airframe.

My own personal WAG is that they want to keep something that has a high dependability rating, both the B-1 and the B-2 had some issues depending on weather and some other issues.

I have no doubt something is in the pipe line that will be superior to the old girl, but its hard to beat the rain or shine or sandstorm and she keeps lumbering to the battle field and back.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Can't believe that plane is still in service. Amazing.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Lol. Retire two B-1's and have enough money to do all these upgrades from the maintenance savings alone.

Your welcome Air Force.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

My Uncle, who'd have been 100 next year was a tail gunner back when they first flew.

I have a friend, sort of, who's son flies 'em now. Three, or four generations, of AF pilots have flown the BUFF. Simply an amazing aircraft. It'll be six generations, perhaps more, by the time they hang the beast up for good?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: schuyler

My Uncle, who'd have been 100 next year was a tail gunner back when they first flew.

I have a friend, sort of, who's son flies 'em now. Three, or four generations, of AF pilots have flown the BUFF. Simply an amazing aircraft. It'll be six generations, perhaps more, by the time they hang the beast up for good?

A tail gunner on a BUFF (yes , I can say BUFF)
That would be history to pass down over the generations.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The flight line Expediter at my Sq at Barksdale AFB was one of the last gunners when they shut down the career path.

He told me the story one day, the clock was ticking down when they would officially no longer be gunners and they were sitting in the parking lot drinking beer. Almost the entire SF shift was sitting on the flight line telling them don't think about it. (for those that don't know if you break red without a line badge you get jacked by the cops) at the stroke of midnight the now former gunners made their break for the flight line, he said the cops were merciless beating people down and hog tying them and just tossing them in the back of a flat bed they brought for the occasion. All they were trying to do was slap a buff and get back across the red line without being forced to eat the black top.

He was an interesting guy, had a lot of great stories of the old SAC days.

edit on 27-8-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

My Dad, and that Uncle were both early days SAC, too.

Some of the stories they told were hair-raising. My Dad didn't fly, but was senior enlisted running the maintenance on those monsters.

One of those odd things that happens in the military (and totally off topic...so shoot me.) Was my Dad ran across all three of his future brother-in-laws at some point, before he had even met my Mom. Two of them were on Saipan, during the fighting there, and some years later, they put two and two together, and that was an interesting evening.

The third brother, my Uncle Tom, and my Dad were based at the same SAC base, shortly before the B52 came on line, my Dad was working on B47's, and I don't recall what my Uncle was doing at the time...he may have been on the B47, as well as flight crew, but I'm not sure.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I flew a couple of missions on D models out of Castle AFB to make 16mm films for the training squadrons and to use in the simulators. It was a quite an experience riding in the bunkie seat next to a flight engineer holding a Bolex. I wound up with the assignment as I was an aerial photographer during the SEA war. My best,

new topics

top topics

join