It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump issues statement on McCain's death

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

pay attention to the

Thanks for your service. I had it made and got way more out of it than I put in. Deployed, but not in the sense that we had to stay in bad motels or something, they were always nice. Khobar Towers was the least hospitable, and they were pretty damn nice.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I like presidents whose brains haven't been scrambled by Fake News and imprisoned by their own egomania.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Wow, CNN is really dumb for using McCain's death as a political tool. It's about as dumb as people using that girl's death last week as a political tool against illegal immigration. Sounds like both sides are hypocrites. The hypocrisy from both sides only seems to be elevating lately. I wonder when both will realize they're being played against each other by the media and government?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Much as the office of the President is bigger than just a guy, the Flag is a symbol, and the idea of it has reverence. If it's furled up on a pole and all I can see is some frilly tassels and a hint of read and white, I still salute it the same and never once, verified where it was made. Maybe that's a mistake on my part, but I'm just not seeing it.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

For his service in Vietnam and his actions as a POW, McCain was awarded the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, the Navy Commendation Medal and the Purple Heart.

Tran, now 75, said McCain reached Hanoi with the worst injuries he had seen in a downed pilot. But he denied torturing him, saying it was his mission to ensure that McCain survived. As the son of the US naval commander in Vietnam, he offered a potential valuable propaganda weapon.

personally taking that with a grain of salt

arizonadailyindependent.com...

audio that apparently caused an entire group of Vietnam Veteran's to form a group against him... and why they call him, "the song bird of hanoi"

www.vvof.org...

“Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship’s name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant.” Page 193-194, Faith of My Fathers by John McCain.

I get it, most people would do anything acting out of desperation but I don't know... sucks just weird

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I like presidents whose brains haven't been scrambled by Fake News and imprisoned by their own egomania.

that's great. I'd suggest you try to spread that message around your circles. Because screaming at the sky, won't feed the bulldog come election time. Bring a decent player, and maybe things can change. But if ya'll continue on this path, you will spend the next two years helping Trump lock in another 4.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

www.azcentral.com... arles-payne/602455002/

Fox News is severing its relationship with retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Tom McInerney, who inaccurately claimed during an appearance on Fox Business Network Thursday that torture “worked on” Sen. John McCain, who endured a brutal 5 ½ years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

ut oh... generals calling BS

I don't know, like i said I can't relate

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Well i am glad to see that potus made the right moves today in regards to the op.

As far as the flag goes it is called running a tight ship and we owe it to those who fought and died for our right to be here.

They did not die so some chineses can get rich by selling fabric and labor cheaply to us. Never at any point in the history of the country until the last few decades would this be accepted.

When we pledge our allegiance to something that means every fiber of that object and all the labor involved in creating it.

Banning such will result in great spiritual benefits for the country that could never be understood with words. at least not mine anyhow.

Again not a law directed at people or how they fly their flags but just a simple import ban. Not all flag related items but just any american flag that will be flown.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnholyBishop

originally posted by: JasonBillung

originally posted by: UnholyBishop

originally posted by: JasonBillung
a reply to: watchitburn

Certainly wasn't bone spurs.

Read up on some history of what John did in the Hanoi Hilton. Read up on why he could not raise his arms over his head. I think of myself as a bit of a tough guy, but I don't know of anyone who could have been as tough as John.

Hero. End run.

You don't get to be a hero for being captured. You are a hero for risking your life for your fellow squad members/team mates and taking the bullet or bomb for them.

Sitting in a foreign prison camp somehow elevates someone to heroic level? No attempts to kill their captors or escape. Yeah that is so heroic....

How do you know this?

McCain was there as prisoner for 5.5 years.. In all that time there was no supporting evidence to die trying to kill his captors or try escaping.

en.wikipedia.org...

I mean come on. Not even a hint of trying to rebel other than the orders he was given on not spilling intel supposedly. How is this heroic? Please tell me

I served in the Army as an enlisted man and later as an officer. During ROTC i took airborne and ranger training. I did the Survival, Evasion, Escape, and Resistance training. Yes, you should try to escape. However, as an officer you must also take your troops into account. John was physically broken, beaten, and could not leave his men, nor could he lead a resistance. He was an aviator, not an infantry man. He did what was right, from his point of view.

I remember a time when I captured a downed airman. I broke his back capturing him. This was a training exercise. So I felt bad. Imagine if it was for real, and you had to live in an enemy camp for 5 years.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

We all got more out of it then we put in. And then as we matured, we gave back more to the new troops. Like I said, thanks for the help. I can disagree on policy in government, but not on sharing dirt/mud/sand. Or even worse, a swamp. I hate swamps. \

See, we might have more in common then we thought.

But let's keep arguing. It is fun. And it is so American, for us to argue.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

but why are you trying to compare him to Trump? they are nothing alike. And the fact that everyone seems surprised that Trump acted petty, I'm sorry, but that's just ignorant. (use Michael Jackson voice there) It's who Trump is, you people have been saying it for two years now.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Look trump looks dumb here, now lowering the flag.

But honestly, he was damned no matter what he did

Had he lowered the flag for a week even and came out with this statement immediately, the media would have jumped on him as being insincere and just playing politics

They would have brought up things trump said about maccain in the past, and even brought up McCain’s statement before his death where he takes veiled swipes at trump and said trumps words for McCain were fake

As it is, trump foolishly plays into both arguments now, they say he wa a petty jerk for his original stance, and now insincere with the correction
edit on 27-8-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Although the situation was not in his favor he deserves recognition for surviving and serving his time. Nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to Grambler

The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.

www.law.cornell.edu...
edit on 27-8-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I don't know who you tough guys are, but EVERYONE will give it up under torture. EVERYONE!

You think you can be so tough? US Army are now trained to try to hold out for 24 hours. After that your information is old, and worthless. How many of you can take a 24 hour beating?

Right. Thought so.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: UnholyBishop

I mean how can you judge someone in captivity but the details just don't all line up

the thing I don't like about him is the fact that he killed a bunch of guys on top of an Aircraft carrier and he cover's up for the neo-con establishment and was a strong advocate for war

www.history.com...

During the Vietnam War, the USS Forrestal was often stationed off the coast of North Vietnam, conducting combat operations. On the morning of July 29, the ship was preparing to attack when a rocket from one of its own F-4 Phantom jet fighters was accidentally launched. The rocket streaked across the deck and hit a parked A-4 Skyhawk jet. The Skyhawk, which was waiting to take off, was piloted by John McCain, the future senator from Arizona.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

oh christ, offer a different perspective and the amygdala swells up and we get all emotional, whatever just putting the truth out there

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

here's the thing, the more the focus is on Trump, the more that folks will never hear what the Dems have to offer come November.

I hear Jimmy Dore talking about Unions forming a 3rd party. (MPP - movement for a peoples party)

IMO the democratic party is dead, their best couldn't beat Trump, even when the deck was stacked in her favour. Even well before the election the dems split and it became two camps - the Hillarites and the Bernie Bros.

Russians didn't influence the election, the democrats did, they just didn't realise everyone was watching their conduct from behind the 2-way mirror.

This is a very poignant video from one of my favourite commentators, whether folks watch it or not is of little consequence to the larger eventuality - there will be a 3rd party thrown into the 2020 election.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Jimmy is on point like 90% of the time I totally agree with him just not in unison with his solutions

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

but why are you trying to compare him to Trump? they are nothing alike. And the fact that everyone seems surprised that Trump acted petty, I'm sorry, but that's just ignorant. (use Michael Jackson voice there) It's who Trump is, you people have been saying it for two years now.

I would never compare Trump to John. John was a hero who served his country, and paid a price. Trump is (in my view) a grifter who should never be compared to any of our service members, be it the lowest private to the highest general. There is no comparison. People who serve serve. People who grift, grift.

I have no respect for Trump. Looks like we have a difference of belief here. That is fine with me. You want me to have faith in Trump, and I think he is scummy, and not in keeping with the principles that make our country great. However, we both served, and I assume now you are a good person because of that. So, maybe I will listen to your perspective a little closer, and try and find a way that we can discuss things without automatically thinking you are one of "them".

See, at one time maybe you hauled me out of some crap, or maybe I did the same for you. Nice to share crap brother.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join