It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Falsify My Claim: Humans Built “Basalt Columns” on Earth and on Mars?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FossilLin

Ok we shall play along then , if they are man made how were they made , where were they quarried and where are the tools they used to make them

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

The OP has some more interesting beliefs. If you have not yet done so, there are gems like this on his/her blogspot to check out:

Jesus Born on Mars

Not much point discussing basalt etc with the OP when he/she is full of this sort of woo-woo. Totally deranged.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Oh , that explains a lot , now stones have blood vessels , who would have known !

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Amazing the things you learn from the interweb!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Badams
Cracks cannot produce these:
cdn-files.apstatic.com...
www.flickr.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

What? Is that man made? Is that really what you are saying? If so, and it isn't, why would anyone want to make them?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

So you are saying that given the ability of minerals elements to form into lattice structures , forming near perfect geometric shapes , that its impossible for the same lattice to crack and give rise to further geometric shapes?

please explain to me then if you think pyrite cubes are man made ?
when there is clearly enough geological evidence to prove that they form perfect cubes naturally without any interaction from humans!

I would suggest you study some geology , and learn about how mineral rocks actually form , how minerals interact
I think you will be quite surprised by the geometric patterns and shapes , that nature already makes without humans !

I think you will need to try to provide proof that cracks cant give rise to geometric shapes in bedrock !

given that the bedrock already forms in geometric shapes and layers

Look at the various types of bedrock, then look at the straiations in the rock , and how these form due to fault movement in the tectonic plates.

Then look at stratification which is due to lava flow and various other geological processes , these are all made by nature
no humans involved.

I think you need to look at how many geometric patterns and shapes already exist in nature , then you will realise , that is where humans got the ideas of geometry from !

Nature informed us , we didnt make these no humans made these !
its all nature .

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You are not expecting a rational discussion about any of that, are you?

Ah, the triumph of hope over experience. Bless!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Spoilsport.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I dont expect much as having expectations can often lead to disappointment.

here is a popular mechanics article on exactly how this happens in basalt rock

Popular mechanics geometry in basalt rock

the source of this article

basaltic formations
edit on 31-8-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

and the source of the study where the findings were published showing exactly how these columns form and the geometric patterns
disclosing the temperature of columnar joining in lavas

there is also a really cool image of the process ! lots of good stuff in that study !

now given that to melt basalt rock it needs to be in the region of 1000 degrees celcius
how do you propose man done this, how did they melt large volumes of basalt rock and then control it to form these columns?

can you at least attempt to explain how it was done if that is what your theory proposes ?
(sorry carpy this it to the OP)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

You are preaching to the converted. Oh - I see. Carry on and good luck with getting any sense out of the OP!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The UPI story is propaganda fake news, a click bait.
Quoted from UPI news story (www.upi.com...):
" As it contracts, cracks and forms columns, scientists can watch and measure the changes in temperature."
However, the experiments DID NOT form any columns. The experiments formed six cracks on six samples (see wretchfossil.blogspot.com... ). Those six cracks are not "horizontal fractures". They are ordinary, irregularly shaped cracks. Those six cracks cannot form horizontal cracks in real basalt columns, let alone forming the long flat sides of the columns in
cdn-files.apstatic.com...
wretchfossil.blogspot.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Geologists tend to think geological processes can result in nearly all kinds of shapes. For example, for many years geologists think ooids, a kind of tiny spherical sand grains, can be formed without life. The thinking is falsified: billions of tons of the "sand grains" are formed today by bacteria on Earth and ON MARS. Evidence: wretchfossil.blogspot.com...
So, rock guys, shape up.
Now back to the shape up of the basalt columns. Like big rocks, each basalt column contains millions of rock-forming minerals. Millions of afore-said rock-forming minerals form IRREGULARLY shaped rocks. The minerals themselves do not have one chance in a trillion to form the columns mentioned in wretchfossil.blogspot.com...
I studied fossil cells, so I paid attention to shapes. There is a reason for a shape. Geologists pay attention to chemistry, not shape. So, shape up or lose big.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FossilLin

Geologists tend to think geological processes can result in nearly all kinds of shapes.

Got a link for that?

For example, for many years geologists think ooids, a kind of tiny spherical sand grains, can be formed without life. The thinking is falsified: billions of tons of the "sand grains" are formed today by bacteria on Earth and ON MARS. Evidence: wretchfossil.blogspot.com...

Linking to your own unsupported opinion is not evidence. Ooids form around a small particulate core, which may or may not be organic. You have not falsified the theory of how ooids form, you have just decided on a whim that it is false.

So, rock guys, shape up.
Now back to the shape up of the basalt columns. Like big rocks, each basalt column contains millions of rock-forming minerals. Millions of afore-said rock-forming minerals form IRREGULARLY shaped rocks. The minerals themselves do not have one chance in a trillion to form the columns mentioned in wretchfossil.blogspot.com...

Again, unsupported opinion. Basalt rocks do not contain millions of rock forming minerals. They contain a small number of minerals in large quantities. There is a difference. Your 1 in a trillion chance is firstly a figure plucked out of thin air and secondly not the same as impossible. The columns themselves are also not regular - they have a superficial regularity but in real life no two are the same.

I studied fossil cells, so I paid attention to shapes. There is a reason for a shape.

Correct, in this case the physics of cooling of a particular material.

Geologists pay attention to chemistry, not shape. So, shape up or lose big.

You have absolutely no idea what geologists do. Chemistry is one part of the picture. Structure is another. Structure and shape are key factors that make up the landscape that geologists analyse. Physical, as much as chemical processes are key to producing those structures.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Guys, really. Let this thread die. I can't believe that it's actually still going.

The OP's ideas have been firmly debunked by all of you. Let the thing die! 😂

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

you failed to comprehend the significance of the above structure last time

care to try again ?

hint :

contraction >> stress >> ............................

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1

I do not know cause the op has some points not fully addressed yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Stress well ok but seems that contraction based on moisture content describes it better.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Geology textbook says cooling, not drying, produced the cracks of basalt columns. However, many geologists speculate about drying or even sedimentary rocks, or underground formation of "basalt columns". In a word, debates go on among geologists. Whatever the debates are about, they are not about man-made processes. The bottom line: many basalt columns are over 20 meters high. They possess vertical flat sides that cannot be explained by any cracks. Do not dream that experiments could produce vertical cracks that produced the vertical flat surfaces on "basalt columns". Lastly, your photo shows no flat surfaces on the vertical sides.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join