It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Big Thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This may be a little outside the usual predictions on the board, but I'm going to do something showbusiness related. my prediction is the Indian/Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai is going to be the nex t big thing in Hollywood!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Very HOT! I've seen her photo a lot lately.

Roper

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
she isnt bad, sure the next big thing in hollywood huh? ill be expecting to see her in some good movies then.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Then look for her in the upcoming "Bride & Prejudice', from the producer of "Bend it Like Beckham". If it clicks,then she's in like Flynn!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wus up guys. Since I am Indian, I happen to know a bit about how Bollywood works. Bollywood doesn't really have substantive movies or movies with real stories like Hollywood movies. Bollywood has the tendecy to copy Hollywood movies. Also, the storyline usually is a love story, with Four 10-15 minutes sometimes even longer sensless dancing and singing. There are very few Bollywood movies about the "real issues." Having said that, the actors/actresses in Bollywood movies, in my opinion can dance and jump around really well but when it comes to acting there are very few good actors and actresses in Bollywood. Especially these days, I am sorry to say but Bollywood is putting out trash. However, I always thought that Aishwariya was a very classy actress who really has acting ability. If anyone wants to see a beautiful bollywood musical kind of movie, you should definitely rent "Taal." Aishwariya is in it. Taal is certainly an exception. Aishwariya gave an amazing performance in Taal and she truly is a classic beauty. If she stays true to her self and doesn't accept anything that comes her way just to break into Hollywood then I think she will go very far. Bride & Prejudice, now that movie didn't do justice to Aishwariya in terms of showing what a great actress she is. After watching Taal, even if you don't understand it, you will most likely agreet with me!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by robina
Wus up guys. Since I am Indian, I happen to know a bit about how Bollywood works. Bollywood doesn't really have substantive movies or movies with real stories like Hollywood movies. Bollywood has the tendecy to copy Hollywood movies. Also, the storyline usually is a love story, with Four 10-15 minutes sometimes even longer sensless dancing and singing. There are very few Bollywood movies about the "real issues." Having said that, the actors/actresses in Bollywood movies, in my opinion can dance and jump around really well but when it comes to acting there are very few good actors and actresses in Bollywood. Especially these days, I am sorry to say but Bollywood is putting out trash. However, I always thought that Aishwariya was a very classy actress who really has acting ability. If anyone wants to see a beautiful bollywood musical kind of movie, you should definitely rent "Taal." Aishwariya is in it. Taal is certainly an exception. Aishwariya gave an amazing performance in Taal and she truly is a classic beauty. If she stays true to her self and doesn't accept anything that comes her way just to break into Hollywood then I think she will go very far. Bride & Prejudice, now that movie didn't do justice to Aishwariya in terms of showing what a great actress she is. After watching Taal, even if you don't understand it, you will most likely agreet with me!

Your comment about Bollywood reminds me of the quipe on "The Simpsons", 'it made every indian critics top 100 list!'. Still there have been some serious movies out of India, and Aishwarya is a 'contender', who could got to the top in Hollywood. Julia Roberts called her 'the most beautiful woman in the world', but we won't hold that against her, will we?

P.S. Aishwarya reminds me of an Asian Catherine Zeta Jones.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Agent Orange]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yes, there have been serious movies produced in Bollywood but very few. Usually, serious movies in bollywood are about Independence of India, the ongoing conflict between India and Pakistan etc. Bollywood isn't really known for "content" in it's movies. Bollywood doesn't like to tackle the serious issues which some argue is due to the reserves nature of Indian culture which is reflected in Bollywood movies. But then what about all the sexual content that has become the hallmark of Bollywood movies these days. Doesn't that go against what the Indian culture is all about? My problem with Bollywood has always been it's failure to address issues that matter to us all. Bollywood is mostly about the fantasy world. But as I said before, Aishwariya Rai is a talented actress and in my view is the only Bollywood actress these days, who can be a success and considered a serious contender in Hollywood!!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think the reason for Bollywood's flights of fantasy is probably the living conditions in India. I'm only guessing, but a 3rd World country would probably welcome fantasy. Only in North America can spoiled westerners afford to indulge in existential discontent. As Jazzman Murphy told Lisa Simpson, "You sing the blues pretty good for some one with no real problems". Of course Lisa secretly wishes for real problems, so that she can have something to complain about. "Then they'll have to listen to me!" Imagine how bad off she feels without even real problems!

The closest america came was during the Depression. Then it was all Shirley Temple. It was the heyday of the American Musical. There was also the now lost tradition of Vausville to shore such movies up. After World War 2 America had about as much of a dose of reality as it could take, and was ready to escape into sugary sweet movies. It took the Baby Boomers, raised in the hot house enviroment of 1950's suburbia to bring grit and 'realism' back to films.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Julia Roberts called her 'the most beautiful woman in the world', but we won't hold that against her, will we?

No kidding, we're talking about someone who fell for Lyle Lovitt for godsakes!

She looks a lot like Catherine Zeta Jones to me...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Ayesha Dharker is way hotter than Rai anyways. I don't know what she gets that much more attention. Perhaps she's done more movies?

From what I have heard, bollywood viewers look to the movies for more entertainment than hollywood viewers, and, most interstingly, I've heard that the musical dance routines are there to 'break up the monotony' (paraphrase) or to keep the people's attention during a 'long' movie, which is the complete opposite of hollywood movies.

Actually, sex scenes probably serve the same prupose in hollywood movies, come to think of it!

top topics

join