It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bluebird resurrected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
On January 4th, 1967 at an estimated speed of 310MPH, the jet powered speed boat, Bluebird, flipped, disintegrated and sank, killing it's pilot, the dual world speed record holder, Donald Campbell.

The wreckage was found and raised in 2001, then over the next 17 years, bluebird was restored until in the last week, it once more ripped along the top of the water at speeds of around 130MPH.

I have to say, I would love a go in that, even though the current pilot described her as a bit of a b1tch

main site

sky news video

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
I used to own a Bluebird.
Dinky toy version.
Now, alas, gone the way of all such things.

No, come to think of it, I had the car. There was a land-based Bluebird as well.

edit on 27-8-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

As an addendum, I noticed that the current water speed record (set in 1978) is 318MPH.

Not much higher than Bluebird managed...Makes one think, doesn't it? Hell, I would certainly give it a go...Probably looking at a couple of hundred horse power extra to bridge that gap at that speed though. Bung in one of those lightning engines and you might get there.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You must have a death wish

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Going fast is a bit of a drug, I admit, but come on, seriously, if you got the chance to sit in that cockpit, you seriously telling me there wouldn't be a little devil on your shoulder saying "Go on, boy, crank it up" ?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I used to own a Bluebird.
Dinky toy version.
Now, alas, gone the way of all such things.

No, come to think of it, I had the car. There was a land-based Bluebird as well.

Yes! He was (I think) the only person to have held the land and water speed records at the same time with his Bluebirds.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I want to water-ski behind it.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I like your style.

new topics

top topics

join