It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 98 Main Battle Tank

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The "dazzler systems" is a high intensity laser meant to momentarily blind people who directly see it, however Laser screening goggles can block out most the laser beam there for causing its effect to be nothing more than nuisance. And as for the dazzler jamming or blinding night vision optical sensor and laser guided weapons, it has some capability but again if operators in tanks use their infrared sights the system in not affected , and the laser only disrupt the night vision if its a direct hit on the sensor. The pentagon is currently working to develop a system for its laser guided munitions to only follow a specific laser varying on its intensity and source.

The dazzler system can be affective against countries in Chinas region but the U.S. has ways on combating its affects, and if we wanted to we could use such a laser system but it is banned by international treaty's, so you know.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
What international treaty may that be?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think he is talking about the Geneva Convention?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm talking aboutthis which clearly explains why such weapons should not be used in combat warfare.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The laser dazzler is not a blinding weapon, its supposed to be made to fry optics and sights not to blind people.

Blinding is only its secondary purpose.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by COWlan]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ok first of all it doesn't :fry optics" it merely makes them unable to read when it is shined on them.

Blinding is only its secondary purpose.

Well that makes everything better

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Laser is a transmission of energy so yes, it does fry optics.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Not this type of laser genius this is not the solid state laser which burn holes into metal. these are over bright lasers with a function of blinding troops and confusing night vision cameras.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hmm why make such a treaty if the blinded troops are gonna be killed anyway?

You're allowed to kill them but you're not allowed to hurt them

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What do you mean they are “all” going to be killed? Blinding is seen as a cruel and primitive way of fighting a war. IF you can kill some of the soldiers that's part of war but blinding everyone in sight is messed up.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well... if they can spot a group of enemy soldiers, point a strong laser at them, I'm guessing the next thing they do would probably be to shoot them. If they're going to capture them instead for interrogation, being blinded by a laser isn't really much worse than the torture the CIA uses for their interrogation.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
^^^ Indeed...Well said...
I nevre really understand these UNHCR/REd Cross type treaties on abns for such weapons..
In a war no one is going to pay attention to all this.. unless one side up sthe ant by going NBC..

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Of course no one understands these treaties when they apply to countries other than the U.S. However if the U.S. were to field such a weapon, you two would be shouting bloody murder. Yet when it applies to another country the support for these treaties vanishes,... Simply Amazing

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The US had the same kind of laser device for over 10 years now. They tested a few on Bradleys during the first Gulf War.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Optics are complex lenses and a receiver which transmits light received into electrons and transmit them to a monitor and or computer.

The optics act similar to how human eyes act. Ask yourself why people go blind after seeing a strong enough laser.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Of course no one understands these treaties when they apply to countries other than the U.S. However if the U.S. were to field such a weapon, you two would be shouting bloody murder. Yet when it applies to another country the support for these treaties vanishes,... Simply Amazing

Are you kidding me? The US had laser weapons long before any other country had them, apply to other countries? You mean Iraq and other third world countries or China?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
if the U.S. were to field such a weapon, you two would be shouting bloody murder.

No, I wouldn't care actually. Designing weapons for hurting or killing others is not a very nice thing in the first place, the laser is no special. I'd love to shout bloody murder everytime somebody designs a weapon but then I'd just be wasting my voice

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
War is to kill, weapons are made to hurt and being shot in the leg or being blinded by the laser technically is all the same. They are all after-effects of war on the military personell and population.

Would you rather be blinded and surrender or go to Iraq with an AK-47 and yell "ALLAH" and "...akbar" (the words my friend told me was God is great)?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The US had the same kind of laser device for over 10 years now. They tested a few on Bradleys during the first Gulf War.

Go a link? I know they had laser range finders and PGM’s guided by lasers but I don't think they had lasers to blind people.

Are you kidding me? The US had laser weapons long before any other country had them, apply to other countries? You mean Iraq and other third world countries or China?

U.S. has laser weapons yes but they are not for blinding people, they are either for shooting down missiles, or for guiding bombs. 3rd world countries don't have the tech to develop lasers systems.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius

The procedure of the laser weapon would first use a low-powered beam to locate the optics of the enemy weapon. Once the enemy weapon was located, the power level of the laser would be immediately and dramatically increased. Such an attack would disable the guidance optics of the enemy weapon and/or damage the eyesight of the enemy gunner.

Now correct me if I'm wrong ( I'm speaking off the top of my head ), but isn't there a provision in the Genevea convention banning such weapons as they cause permanent disability to the enemy. I know the Chinese are developing hand held lasers specifically designed to blind an oppsoing force.

Aha, here we are :

Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons (Protocol IV to the 1980 Convention), 13 October 1995

Article 1
It is prohibited to employ laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

Article 2
In the employment of laser systems, the High Contracting Parties shall take all feasible precautions to avoid the incidence of permanent blindness to unenhanced vision. Such precautions shall include training of their armed forces and other practical measures.

Article 3
Blinding as an incidental or collateral effect of the legitimate military employment of laser systems, including laser systems used against optical equipment, is not covered by the prohibition of this Protocol.

Article 4
For the purpose of this protocol "permanent blindness" means irreversible and uncorrectable loss of vision which is seriously disabling with no prospect of recovery. Serious disability is equivalent to visual acuity of less than 20/200 Snellen measured using both eyes.

www.icrc.org...

[edit on 2-4-2005 by rogue1]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join