It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Mass Shooting.More Anti-Gun Protests From The Media, Democrats and Hogg

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Hard to recognize mental illness when you let videogames, social media, and internet raise your kids

Hell the parents probably didn't even know him

Maybe they didn't want to know him. He strikes me as an almost look-a-like to Adam Lanza.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered
a reply to: Jubei42

The problem is in the head and the heart.

People dont value life anymore what so ever, everything in our culture now days is so cheap and shallow, and throw away.

We have totally gotten away from values, accountability, and teaching our kids the sanctity of life.

Instead parents and kids are staring into their phones all day, or into their game consoles or sometimes both, worrying about "likes" and "shares" on social media, and how many "friends" they have , or followers, from people they dont even know or matter.

Depsite that the objective is do "do better" then that person they dont even know, full of fake lives, fake smiles, and fake happiness.

And we wonder why nothing is valued or sacred anymore?

And people think its a GUN problem?

Sorry, no , not even close.

The most succinct answer to a legitimate problem I've seen on ATS in a long time.

I hope there is a mod to applaud your post.

Nice work.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

well thank you sir, im not always the most well spoken or well liked, but I try to be true, at least so far as my ability to reason can take me.

I try not to let my bias cloud it too much

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Again and again and again and again with the anti-gun rhetoric. It is a tired old non-solution deflecting from addressing the problem.

You understand that there are more guns in the US than there are people? If the problem was the existence of a gun=death, then there would not be a problem because everyone would be dead. Period. End of discussion.

The problem avoided is there are people that will kill other people. That is the problem to solve. And guess what? Eventually the anti-gun crap is going to be the focus that sets off one of these people that kill other people. Which means that your crap will have caused the senseless death of others. Force the issue and it will cause worse problems such as large scale “war” against the gun grabbers.

How you people live with yourselves for wishing to foster your beliefs on others against their will is beyond my comprehension. But maybe that is also part of the problem, alienation of those that don’t fit the collective ideology. Which is exactly one of the ways that sets these loner style killers off.

I don’t suspect anyone to realize that the problem isn’t the gun, that it is you. Nor do expect their conscience gives them the moment of clarity correct the problem (STFU before you make another killer). So I will just conclude that there are 195 countries in the world, 193 are members of the UN and only 3 Constitutionally protect the right to bear arms, (US, Mexico and Guatemala) yet you remain bitching about nothing when you could hit the road and find a happier place.

Seriously.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Hard to recognize mental illness when you let videogames, social media, and internet raise your kids

Hell the parents probably didn't even know him

Maybe they didn't want to know him. He strikes me as an almost look-a-like to Adam Lanza.

Pretty safe to assume Adam lanza wasnt a focal point in his childhood

Besides, children w issues need to be coached, raised right, and helped.

Your approach just breeds more of the same

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is where all blame should begin and end.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
After observing social media, and how it melds with politics in America, I think they should raise the voting age to 30.

The mainstream media has truly taken the souls and minds of young Americans.

Profiteering on tragedy and mental illness is what needs to be changed. Also calling this a mass shooting and it going world wide in the liberal corporate ran media outlets from here in the states to Australia indicates to me they will stop at nothing to push their agenda’s. WITH freedom comes a price.. with as many people in this country that their is bad things from selfish evil people will occur. Comparing the United States to country’s in Europe that are smaller than Florida is ignorant also.

I digress I am going off on a tangent. We live in a differant World now, we need to be more diligent as a society now folks when it comes to our safety it seems this latest generation of men, have some serious issues and do not know or care about right or wrong. THAT needs to be the focus. Not 5mins after a tragedy breaks the news cycle on msm social media loses their minds over guns. FUCUS PEOPLE.

RIP to the “2” victims prayers for the family’s.
edit on 26-8-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Shooters have the element of surprise on their side, so they will always kill at least one poor soul.

A bad guy determined to come here will come here and kill at least one poor soul.

THAT is reality.

All too often, yes it is. But it's only one part of reality... let me clue you in on a few more.

A person who wants to commit a crime is much more likely to commit that crime if they have little chance of being stopped before accomplishing their goal. I would say most have as part of that goal, staying alive. If shooting someone will likely cause both the victim and the shooter to die, there is less incentive for someone to become a shooter.

Most mass shooters are not expert shots. Someone who is not an expert shooter is easy to take down before they can get off a killing shot in most cases. A gun does not just kill whatever it's pointed at; one has to hit the target, and hit them in the right location(s), in order to kill the target. So the idea that a shooter who gets off one shot will kill one person is simply not realistic in itself. They might kill one person, but it is far, far from a guarantee.

In contrast, someone who regularly carries a gun for protection is typically a decent shot. In order to protect themselves, they understand that it is imperative that they be able to hit their target with the first shot, and they practice... most practice a LOT. So while a mentally unstable, opportunistic shooter might have a 50-50 chance of killing someone with their first shot, the armed citizen has more like an 80% chance of doing so.

Even if a shooter manages to kill one person before being gunned down themselves, is that not preferable to a shooter killing 5, 10, 20, more?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

There are actually several studies that show that video games, including first-person shooters, help aggressive kids to moderate their aggression rather than stoking it--that they act as a sort of pressure-release valve where, in kids and teenagers at least--they can vent their violent tendencies in a safe environment rather than in the real world. Hopefully those get pulled out when the game-shamers start screaming about how games breed violence.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Again and again and again and again with the anti-gun rhetoric. It is a tired old non-solution deflecting from addressing the problem.

To be fair, most of these threads have very little anti gun rhetoric. Almost nil. There are pages and pages of pro-gun rhetoric, usually people saying stuff like.. stop the anti-gun rhetoric. The thread was started by a pro-gun poster, and most all responses but 1 in the first couple of pages were.. pro gun folks.

Not seeing a lot of anti gun anything on this site honestly, those posts by far, are the minority.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I've finally come to the conclusion, the USA does NOT have a gun problem, it has a people problem. There's a reason America is home to 33% of the worlds mass shooters in 5% of the worlds overall population. Gun control isn't going to fix your problems. Society need to change, and bloody hell, people on here are talking about "civil war" over a elected political leader - Call me a pessimist, but I can't see anything improving anytime soon. Americans need to realize "left" and "right" is just choosing which foot you want to be shot in - just like politics the world over. Dividing yourselves is only going to breed more horror - it seems to me you have enough of that already.

To the OP; Comparing a gun to a car? Ridiculous. Guns are literally designed to kill people, animals and destroy things. They're as much a "tool" as a sword is, lets not pretend they're the same as a hammer or a saw.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

There are actually several studies that show that video games, including first-person shooters, help aggressive kids to moderate their aggression rather than stoking it--that they act as a sort of pressure-release valve where, in kids and teenagers at least--they can vent their violent tendencies in a safe environment rather than in the real world. Hopefully those get pulled out when the game-shamers start screaming about how games breed violence.

I don't doubt it. I grew up with lots of violent TV shows, played cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians as a kid and used real cap guns to boot! Shooting other people is ingrained in our psyche. But, when it comes to actually hurting someone, most people don't have the muster.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Shooting other people is ingrained in our psyche. But, when it comes to actually hurting someone, most people don't have the muster.

I have to disagree... it's not that they don't have the "muster," but rather that they simply realize murder is a heinous act against society. I have been a split-second from creating a big hole through a would-be mugger's head, and there was no hesitation in me at all. None. I have plenty of "muster." What I lack is the desire to commit an act such as murder.

Personally, I think a lot of the issue comes from a sense of helplessness... people are helpless to protect themselves, against the criminals that roam our streets, against the police that are rapidly getting the reputation as not much better, against a government that seems more interested in its own self-interest rather than governing, and against an economic system that no longer seems to have room for anyone to pursue their dreams. Add in the demonization coming from all sides of the news since 2016, and we have a lot of people living on the brink of "screw it, I'm gonna go out and kill something."

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

There are actually several studies that show that video games, including first-person shooters, help aggressive kids to moderate their aggression rather than stoking it--that they act as a sort of pressure-release valve where, in kids and teenagers at least--they can vent their violent tendencies in a safe environment rather than in the real world.

That actually makes sense. I tend to play a few games from time to time, even at times getting heavily into them. I literally become my character in my mind, living a different life in a different reality. I do this to relieve stress... the actions I take inside that screen are not able to be taken outside it... at least not without extremely unpleasant consequences.

I'm sure, if someone wanted to search long enough and hard enough, one could find individuals who were unable to pull themselves out of the fantasy and realize they are back in reality. It actually wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of these shooters expected a button to pop up to let them respawn. But that is the exception, not the rule. I believe the vast, vast majority of gamers are quite capable of distinguishing between fantasy and reality. Indeed, it seems to me like gamers are much more capable of making that distinction that anti-gamers.

Those few who cannot distinguish fantasy from reality would go off whether or not they were playing video games. That ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality is the key to identifying problems early... if we can figure out a way to test for it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Add in the demonization coming from all sides of the news since 2016, and we have a lot of people living on the brink of "screw it, I'm gonna go out and kill something."

This is true, but call me an optimist, I still think more people are appalled by the actual street violence they see than not. More people will find other avenues to vent than resorting to murder, imho.

Personally, I remember the first I time caused someone pain. I kicked my dad in balls. I was like two, mad and squirming. It was an accident, but when I saw his pain I was horrified that I was responsible for it! I don't know, but I think most people feel this way. Sure, there are lots that are fascinated by other people's pain. The mentally healthy ones become paramedics, doctors, dentists, police officers, join the military, or otherwise find somewhat healthy ways of expressing their curiosity. But, murderers are a whole different breed, and rare. At least I hope they are.

edit on 27-8-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Odds are he was on anti-depressants or some form of psychotropics in his lifetime.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Ingrained in our psyche?

No.

If they've not got the mustard, then it's not very deeply ingrained, if at all.

Most, I dare say, know that murder is not a socially acceptable thing to do.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

This is true, but call me an optimist, I still think more people are appalled by the actual street violence they see than not. More people will find other avenues to vent than resorting to murder, imho.

OK, you're an optimist.

Seriously, I doubt not that you are correct in that assessment; what worries me is not the small percentage of mentally unstable individuals, but the growing numbers of this small, once minuscule group. That is not a trend I am happy to see.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Ingrained in our psyche?

Sure. Not just gun shaped Pop Tarts, finger and rubber band guns and slingshots though. Especially with the advent of TV and movies, we learn all kind of ways to blow minds and other things up. Weaponry isn't new.

Most, I dare say, know that murder is not a socially acceptable thing to do.

I think a lot of people faint when they see blood.
edit on 27-8-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
Oh, it was a white guy...now it makes sense...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

From what I hear he was Jewish.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join