It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens Are Requesting Plastic Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If a born Male feels like a girl its acceptable today so is this really that big of a stretch?

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

LOL, what if aliens are just us from the future with plastic surgery that has gotten way out of hand.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

When you suggest that ''no one values actual real individuality of thought any more'' you over generalize, do you not?

Few of us do have individual thoughts. The things we think to a large degree were instilled within us before there was a ''me'' to decide what to think at all. That is the training we receive as babies and then toddlers etc. That thought training extends on from childhood into older versions of ourselves that are based on brain patterns established prior to any ability to discern for ourselves what is right or wrong or even what will be best for us to believe in the future.

As well, you suggest that if people don't keep to the preferred ''good think'' they get treated like conservatives do. Here I can agree that this happens, but, take a look here at ATS. Do you not see the very same patterns you mention above but in the opposite directions? Do not conservatives here treat liberals who do not toe the ''right think'' in the same manner. Surely you might have noticed this.

The individuality begins somewhere along the line. I think it is not something that just happens but rather is something that is brought about by concerted effort on the part of that emerging individual. This at least is how I think it happened in my own case.

In my case the world around me was conservative being that the 1950s were a very conservative era. The news papers were consevative, the churches the television programs all were inclined to portray the American Dream, Work hard, support the military industrial complex, root for your team and wear crew cuts and only use the missionary position if and only if you are already married. (government and religion in the bedrooms)

Seeking individuality was to first, find a sense of self apart from all of that. A natural course of action was to develop a life that was striving to be free of the restrictions and strict moral compass of those days. This life could be found, so many believed in the counter culture of the 60s. Who says we have to keep our hair cut in crew cuts, who says we have to shave everyday. Who says we have to wear ties to school and work. Hey world, don't tell me how to express my individuality.

I also think that after all of that ''counter culture'' freedom became the norm in society, the drive for individuality remained the same except for then the new '' counter culture'' became conservative and it became the thinking of younger ''individuals'' that the hive mind of liberalism was something to be fought against. Remember now that those who sought individuality in the 50s and 60s saw the conservative establishment as the hive mind.

So right now, the only way at all to show any individuality is to do it through extreme body modification.

You can look different and the more freakish, the better.

Indeed. Even to the stupid extent of wearing baseball caps backward. That is a statement, "I am different'' and that has turned into a fashon trend as well. Cock it to one side, I'm an individual. Fold up the brim so it sticks up in the air, I'm an individual. But even that was a common look back in the 40s if you watch any of the old Bowry Boys movies.

Tattoos, yes, I'm an individual. But now there is little individuality about it. And on into extreme body mods. Yes, it's all bull#. Individuality defined by how far from the norm of how most people look until most people thinking they are expressing their individuality look the same, just a different mod, piercing or hair style.

It's all fashion with little at all to do with individuality. Individuality takes and individual who has within themselves found the determination to develop that self. Not just adopt that self from one on the shelf of which ever era store sells the appearance of individuality.

Yes, I abhor all this stuff that children are fed. '' You are special'', ''you are unique'', ''you can be and do anything you want to be''. I think that in most cases, that's BS. In most cases all that does is prep one to become one of the marching throngs of the multi-sided conglomerates.

So good luck to you Ket, in being the individual you hope to be. I know this is paramount with you as it is one of your common themes here. And good luck to me too, straddling the the high wire to honest individuality

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So basically, because you might get disagreed with, the moderators come down you and either shadowban you or dox you or track you back to your employer and complain about your racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. opinions and then seek to get you fired all while the regular people here threaten you with death and all manner of other verbal abuse?

We are not talking about the microcosm of ATS, but reality.

You don't seem to be paying much attention to the average college campus or high school where these kids are at.
edit on 26-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

In a free society parents should be allowed to give permission for their kids to do this.

And I would say that the person who does this to themselves deserves the consequences.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I guess my other question here is ,as teens they can't just go get cosmetic surgery the parents would have to be consenting ti this, so what the hell kind of parents are these?

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Ordinarily, I might agree, but this is the kind of thing that lasts forever.

It's not like one of those stupid kid things that has temporary consequences. Teens have a hard time grasping the idea of "the rest of your life" at times.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I guess in the future it'll be against the law to make fun of them when they look like they've been attacked by a pack of wild dogs and it isn't cool anymore.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
IMO, it's not any different than the boob lifts/jobs, tummy tucks, butt lifts, face lifts, nose jobs, neck lifts, eye lifts, lip fillers, cheek sculpting, etc, etc, etc that folks in their 40s/50s/60s have been doing for decades to retain the youthful looks of their 20s/30s.

IMHO, it's not necessarily SM setting a bad example. Ultimately, it's mom and grandma.
The kids and grandkids are just getting their face work done a little earlier. It stands to reason that it's much more substantially linked to a mindset of "If mom can surgically remove 25 years, I can surgically prevent them before they hit!" SM photo filters aren't giving them the ideas, the ideas already exist. They seem to be -- at most -- giving them incentive to get on it sooner.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

In a free society parents should be allowed to give permission for their kids to do this.

And I would say that the person who does this to themselves deserves the consequences.

I agree with a policy of "live and let live", however sometimes the govt has it right. For example: a child who is severely neglected and/or abused and the govt. steps in in an attempt to protect the child. If a parent wants to allow a child to permanently alter their physical being (whether through hormone blocking or therapy, plastic surgery, whatever) at what point does it cross the line into neglect/abuse? What sort of trauma might the child have to endure when they grow into adulthood and maybe don't share the same perspective they had as when a child or adolescent? Does the child in question deserve the consequences when an adult should have taken the long term repercussions into consideration and failed?

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

I guess my other question here is ,as teens they can't just go get cosmetic surgery the parents would have to be consenting ti this, so what the hell kind of parents are these?

The kind of parents who jump on the PC band wagon for "likes" on social media without considering the long term repercussions to their childrens mental and physical health. The kind who are more concerned with being the "cool" mom or dad instead of making the hard choices.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I agree to a certain amount with what you said, but these "filters" are adding even more pressure on our young people to strive for a level of perceived "perfection" that was already getting out of control with photoshop previously. The new standards are completely ridiculous and totally unachievable even with plastic surgery in most cases.

Rather than encouraging permanent physical alterations (which by the way still carry the same risks as they ever did) maybe parents should go back to teaching self love and being comfortable in your own skin. Too many parents want to be their child's "best friend" instead of their parents. My mama always said if your teenagers dont tell you that they hate your guts at least once or twice then you aren't doing your job as a parent!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
IMO, it's not any different than the boob lifts/jobs, tummy tucks, butt lifts, face lifts, nose jobs, neck lifts, eye lifts, lip fillers, cheek sculpting, etc, etc, etc that folks in their 40s/50s/60s have been doing for decades to retain the youthful looks of their 20s/30s.

Transhumanism v1.0

The kids and grandkids are just getting their face work done a little earlier. It stands to reason that it's much more substantially linked to a mindset of "If mom can surgically remove 25 years, I can surgically prevent them before they hit!"

How many mommies actually end up getting plastic surgery done versus what percent of these snapcha kids are them versus what percent of the snapchat kids here are even female?

Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
I have no words for that idiocracy anymore.

But a pic:

Macaulay Culkin not looking so good these days

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Yes, I abhor all this stuff that children are fed. '' You are special'', ''you are unique'', ''you can be and do anything you want to be''

Terry McGuire meet *Snowflake*

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

at what point does it cross the line into neglect/abuse? What sort of trauma might the child have to endure when they grow into adulthood and maybe don't share the same perspective they had as when a child or adolescent?

That's the question. Not all of us have the same line.

Some of us don't even trust the government to be capable of helping.

So who gets to answer this question for everyone?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

at what point does it cross the line into neglect/abuse? What sort of trauma might the child have to endure when they grow into adulthood and maybe don't share the same perspective they had as when a child or adolescent?

That's the question. Not all of us have the same line.

Some of us don't even trust the government to be capable of helping.

So who gets to answer this question for everyone?

That's a hard question. I'd be interested in what the WHO has to say about it, though they have bigger fish to fry.

I believe it is within parent's rights if they want to let their child dress and act like the opposite sex- I don't agree with it but hey- not my kid! But I do think there should be some kind of restrictions on at what age children should be introduced to hormone blockers/hormone therapy and that there should be some kind of psychological evaluation process involved. As no one knows the long term effects any of this might have- as it is a relatively new thing- I look at psychological evaluation as a precautionary measure. Back in the early days of sexual reassignment surgery a prospective patient had to go through stringent physical and psychological evaluations, live as desired gender on their own for a certain amount of time and endure hormone therapy sometimes for a few years before qualifying for the surgery itself- and even with all of those safeguards in place there are many who deeply regretted it and some who eventually went through the entire process again to regain their former gender (to be fair many also have been completely thrilled with their new genders as well). So my question is: Why play Russian Roulette by letting a child make seriously life changing decisions like this when many adults can't even handle it?

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

That's a good point. But most people who are going to do it don't even wait until they hit their 40s. I've seen a zillion perfectly good looking women ruin their looks with hideous fake boobs and obvious cosmetic surgery that makes them look like a blow up sex doll.

It isn't any different. It's very obvious and it looks horrible. And it skews the public perception of what looks attractive. Most women want to look like a freakshow. And a lot of them are very attractive to start with and don't even know it.

"Oh dear! If I just had duck lips I'd be perfect!"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join