It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens Are Requesting Plastic Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I find this very amusing, but also sad. Not only have we raised the last few generations on unnecessary psychoactive medications that have most of them believing they are mentally ill, but now it has gone a step further and they are out to prove it at all costs it seems:

“A new phenomenon, dubbed ‘Snapchat dysmorphia,’ has patients seeking out cosmetic surgery to look like filtered versions of themselves…with fuller lips, bigger eyes, or a thinner nose,” she said.

As if teenagers and young adults don't have enough problems already just with the intricacies of navigating through school, their relationships with their parents and siblings, and most importantly (to them) their places among their peers- now they are becoming overly consumed by physical appearance and unrealistic expectations caused by "filter apps".

“With the advent of social media, the ability to alter one's appearance is literally at one's fingertips. Applications like Snapchat provide the opportunity for users to discover the ‘perfect’ image of themselves to share with their peers and the world.”

Teens and young adults have always been extremely concerned with their appearance. I believe this is something that goes back to the days of early man due to the biological need to find a mate- where appearance can "get a foot in the door". But with the arrival of "selfie filters" the unrealistic expectations of perfection are beginning to cross some sort of invisible boundary into the ludicrous.

Links:

Teens Are Requesting Plastic Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filter

People Are Requesting Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filters
edit on 26-8-2018 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: Fix Link

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have no words for that idiocracy anymore.

But a pic:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me WTF happened?
When I was a teenager, all I wanted was a dirt bike, a truck and a...er..affectionate girlfriend.

Anyone still think social media is a good idea?

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
All this kind of noise (including the bulk of the raging Planet SJW has been stormtroopering about [mostly unwittingly to this reality however:]) is the beginnings of the Transhumanist Movement going mainstream, spearheaded by the very likes of Stanford / University of California / Google / Facebook / etc / etc (the chief fountainheads of Transhumanism / Immortalism). An entire generation, the bulk of one of the "Two" political party's, countless other droves that think they think for themselves (while engaging in maximum level groupthink aka collectivism aka hive mind), all a bunch of unwitting tools of Transhumanism... the front that promises us it'll either extinct Homo sapiens via technological evolution that is if its technology run amok doesnt extinct us all via its own volition.

Do note in that statement, how Hollywierd (whom for a decade I've dubbed the "Fountain of Youth Society") is also the spearheads of Transhumanism ala plastic surgery obsessionism, and all of Planet SJW's noise no less. Hollywood, which is nestled over there right along side Silicon Valley (the capital of the Technocrat's hell bent on their Transhumanist "utopia" (which involves robotic autmoation taking all our jobs, obsession about over-population, elitism in general, etc type noise driving their religion).

edit on 26-8-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Can anyone tell me WTF happened?
When I was a teenager, all I wanted was a dirt bike, a truck and a...er..affectionate girlfriend.

Anyone still think social media is a good idea?

Social media can be a very useful tool. It allows instant communication with family and friends that I find particularly helpful, especially since moving halfway across the country a little over 4 years ago. Unfettered social media access to young people however is full of dangers of all kinds: cyber bullying, predators, etc. But with the advent of these photo filters our young people are getting bombarded with pressure to look perfect at levels that teens and young adults have never been subjected to before. It is becoming increasingly rare to find pictures of young people on social media that haven't been altered with one or even numerous filters, so much that the joke of "if we put that pic on a milk carton nobody would even recognize you" is becoming a sad reality!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
All this noise (including the bulk raging Planet SJW has been stormtroopering about [mostly unwittingly to this reality however...]) is the beginnings of the Transhumanist Movement going mainstream, spearheaded by the very likes of Stanford / University of California / Google / Facebook / etc / etc (the chief fountainheads of Transhumanism / Immortalism). An entire generation, the bulk of one of the "Two" political party's, countless other droves that think they think for themselves (while engaging in maximum level groupthink aka collectivism aka hive mind), all a bunch of unwitting tools of Transhumanism... the front that promises us it'll either extinct Homo sapiens via technological evolution that is if its technology run amok doesnt extinct us all via its own volition.

To me that is really sad. Humans are perfectly imperfect- if we weren't then we wouldn't be humans at all!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Think about it ...

No one values actual real individuality of thought anymore. If you don't think like everyone else and you don't keep to the preferred "good think," you get treated like conservatives do. The social media, social justice mobs will viciously and instantly purge their own of any perceived heresy and "wrong think."

So right now, the only way at all to show any individuality is to do it through extreme body modification.

You can look different and the more freakish, the better.

It is sad.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Welcome to the bottom of the slippery slope our grandparents warned us about

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm fairly certain I don't fit into this "new world". I don't give a rat's behind about being PC, I have no mental illness, I'm secure in my sexual identity and my pictures all look exactly like I look in person. I'm a dying breed, of this I am sure. Glad I will be gone before I'm made fun of in the history books!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This is the importance of teaching children how to think for themselves and critically of the world.

Anyone can be susceptible to perceived expectations of society, hence (for the most part) why plastic surgery is a thing to begin with (aside from reconstructive).

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So right now, the only way at all to show any individuality is to do it through extreme body modification.

That's been my impression of how its come to their being "over" 84 "genders" now, as the individual inside everyone in this rabidly deluded groupthink mindset that has taken hold, well the latent individual still screams to get out, but the groupthink is so in control they outlet for many of them has been to become Bronies, Furries, Pansexuals, and all the rest of that list that I imagine is up to well over 100 "genders" by now.

In the "Century of the Self", up round the 1980's a similar sort of thing happened with basic consumerism products, where the assembly line technologies had progressed far enough to make 'endless' versions of the same products, so that 'any product' could be crafted to appeal to 'anybody' sort of thing, in fact I believe the narrative was specific to how this turn of events had taken the 60's Hippy influenced liberal (anti-corporate anti-consumer types) and retooled them into being establishment consumer types. All people really ought to watch that series again at least once per year.

link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
Welcome to the bottom of the slippery slope our grandparents warned us about

If more of us had listened to our grandparents the world wouldn't be in such a fix as it is now!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

This is the importance of teaching children how to think for themselves and critically of the world.

Anyone can be susceptible to perceived expectations of society, hence (for the most part) why plastic surgery is a thing to begin with (aside from reconstructive).

At this point how we raise our children doesn't seem to matter much anymore. I raised both of my children exactly the same. The elder (about to be 30) has fully embraced the whackadoodle ways of the uber progressive PC snowflake while the younger (nearly 28) is a traditional religious conservative... and I'm proud to say "Conspiracy Theorist".

Kids have always been influenced by their peers but with the widespread and instant access to social media and the pressures they get from their interactions there that influence has trumped everything parents have worked so hard to instill in them.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

At this point how we raise our children doesn't seem to matter much anymore. I raised both of my children exactly the same. The elder (about to be 30) has fully embraced the whackadoodle ways of the uber progressive PC snowflake while the younger (nearly 28) is a traditional religious conservative... and I'm proud to say "Conspiracy Theorist".

I'm a staunch independent, my sister would be described as a pc progressive snowflake.

Her and I are very independent, resilient, and convicted individuals both hovering around 30. Neither of us use ideology to define our character. People can have any ideology and not be susceptible to perceived societal pressure to alter appearance via plastic surgery.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
I find this very amusing, but also sad. Not only have we raised the last few generations on unnecessary psychoactive medications that have most of them believing they are mentally ill, but now it has gone a step further and they are out to prove it at all costs it seems:

“A new phenomenon, dubbed ‘Snapchat dysmorphia,’ has patients seeking out cosmetic surgery to look like filtered versions of themselves…with fuller lips, bigger eyes, or a thinner nose,” she said.

As if teenagers and young adults don't have enough problems already just with the intricacies of navigating through school, their relationships with their parents and siblings, and most importantly (to them) their places among their peers- now they are becoming overly consumed by physical appearance and unrealistic expectations caused by "filter apps".

“With the advent of social media, the ability to alter one's appearance is literally at one's fingertips. Applications like Snapchat provide the opportunity for users to discover the ‘perfect’ image of themselves to share with their peers and the world.”

Teens and young adults have always been extremely concerned with their appearance. I believe this is something that goes back to the days of early man due to the biological need to find a mate- where appearance can "get a foot in the door". But with the arrival of "selfie filters" the unrealistic expectations of perfection are beginning to cross some sort of invisible boundary into the ludicrous.

Links:

Teens Are Requesting Plastic Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filter

People Are Requesting Surgery to Look Like Snapchat Filters

But they are adult enough for gender re-assignment surgical procedures...........

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm a staunch independent, my sister would be described as a pc progressive snowflake.

Her and I are very independent, resilient, and convicted individuals both hovering around 30. Neither of us use ideology to define our character. People can have any ideology and not be susceptible to perceived societal pressure to alter appearance via plastic surgery.

You would be surprised (or maybe not) at how many actually DO. I see it especially among the "20 something" and teen bunches who I interact with a lot due to numerous nieces, nephews and their friends. It isn't quite as prevalent among the "30ish" crowd, but I witness more and more signs of it every day.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"PC progressive snowflake" is as extreme an antithesis of individuality as there ever has been in the history of the known universe.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

She's a liberal, I was using the rest of the jargon to stay with the conversation.

Either way I know her well, she'll be fine.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

But they are adult enough for gender re-assignment surgical procedures...........

THAT is another subject, but very related in many ways.
Call me old fashioned but I believe those sorts of choices should only be available to legal adults. People (especially children) change their perceptions and opinions many times over the years, and while they aren't likely to admit it most question their sexuality at some time or another. That is why in order to receive hormone therapy and sometimes eventually sexual reassignment surgery people used to have to go through very lengthy psychological evaluations to even be considered for this. Nowdays parents are allowing toddlers to call the shots, and possibly ruining their lives by giving them drugs to suppress their bodies natural growth and maturity, for something that is likely to change (maybe even numerous times) over their growth into adulthood.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Think about it ...

No one values actual real individuality of thought anymore. If you don't think like everyone else and you don't keep to the preferred "good think," you get treated like conservatives do. The social media, social justice mobs will viciously and instantly purge their own of any perceived heresy and "wrong think."

You can look different and the more freakish, the better.

It is sad.

I remember the good ole days. Want to see some freaks? Get tickets to the local carnival freak show, or check out a Grateful Dead concert.

Now adays just go to your local Walmart or local college campus. They don't even charge admission!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join