It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waking up in the future

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

I don't know mate, 1000 years is a long time to endure reality.

Our minds are not really designed for such longevity.

Need to go digital i suppose but even then one has to wonder what would be lost in translation?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Anyone figured out where the controls of this hollow deck are

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I don't know mate, 1000 years is a long time to endure reality.

Our minds are not really designed for such longevity.

Need to go digital i suppose but even then one has to wonder what would be lost in translation?

Personally I think I can endure it only because of the prospect of riding around the Galaxy in my spaceship listening to music is really appealing to me.

I am sure being in a computer doing that and anything I could imagine would be great too I guess.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Big Guardians of the Galaxy fan per-chance?

Space is vast and boring mate, never played Elite?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Big Guardians of the Galaxy fan per-chance?

Space is vast and boring mate, never played Elite?

I thought of the music in space years before gotg, but yea big fan, that being one of the reasons.

Never played Elite though, are there at least aliens or something?

Maybe I guess I would rather live in a computer doing anything I could imagine.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I think the Thargoids are about by now, after numerous updates.

To be honest i played it for a day and just got bored silly.

Back in the day through on the old C64 Elite was the bee's knees.

Simpler times lower expectations i suppose. LoL

Perfectly illustrates how big and boring space and travel through such would be all the same.
edit on 28-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I think the Thargoids are about by now, after numerous updates.

To be honest i played it for a day and just got bored silly.

Back in the day through on the old C64 Elite was the bee's knees.

Simpler times lower expectations i suppose. LoL

Perfectly illustrates how big and boring space and travel through such would be all the same.

The Thargoids sound like the insects from Starship Troopers, similar only because in the movie the bugs were the only other life besides humans.

I guess we should start looking inside instead of outside.

p.s. what the heck is a c64?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Ancient computer you used to have to chain merge modules and pass variables.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

Ancient computer you used to have to chain merge modules and pass variables.

Thanks

lol I got the ancient computer part.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The precursor to the old Amiga

en.wikipedia.org...

Believe it or not, she was a beast for her time.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Had very little memory but you could build an infinite program as long as you only did a little bit of processing at a time then chained a new module into memory with the results. could run programs like the IBM 360 if you had the time and enough floppy disks to feed the 1541 floppy drive.

edit on 28-8-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I had an old tape deck with mine to begin with.

Then they 5 1/4 inch floppy drive if memory serves.

Games from "The Barras" those were the days. LoL

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am glad I started this thread, I am glad I met you guys. Great discussion!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

The IBM 360 was introduced on April 7, 1964.
C64 was named for the tiny 64K memory size or was it a date thing the other way around?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I did not know that.

You're a pure fountain of knowledge about the thing this evening.

That's what i like about ATS, sometimes you learn something, cheers.

I had a Spectrum as well before the C64, rubber keys and everything. LoL

Loved that old thing as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Nice to meet you also.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

I get where you are coming from which is why I gave you a star but I have 4 points to explain.

1. Once we colonize space there will be plenty of resources and space.

Ah, so your path to the future would hold that before this expansion into the realms of reanimating the dead, we would first have had to develop advanced propulsion methods, in order to colonise at least this one solar system, if not the surrounding star systems?

2. I believe that eventually we as humans will figure out what souls are and use them for what ever we want. For example like in Halo when master chief gets respawned, something like that.

Looking at the way things are going now, I just do not believe that is the case. Every question we answer about the human brain, every chip we take off of the whole question as to the specifics of its function, draw us closer to the conclusion that the soul is something beyond scientific examination, that it cannot be quantified, measured, its position in space and time nailed down or even hinted at. EVERY question we answer takes us further from an answer to the question of the soul. We know it is not in heart muscle or any of the organs housed in the torso, because practically every organ can be replaced with a machine, at least for a time, without the soul abandoning the body. We also have no reason to suspect that the soul is contained within the brain, because all our studies of that organ, as previously mentioned, take us further away from an answer to the soul conundrum, not closer.

There is no reason, based on the direction of the sciences, with regard to their explorations of the human experience, which suggest any route to even approach the matter of the soul from. It is my understanding that the soul does not exist as a physical property of the universe, but is held outside it and of a nature that no tool could ever tweak, nor rule ever measure.

3. I agree with you that people don't experience the true afterlife until one actually dies.

4. I think also that the human race (if we don't get extinct) will "walk" into the afterlife w/o actually ever dying... but that is prolly in like 1 or 2 thousand years is my guess.

I assume that at the point you are speaking of, the human race will no longer be possessed of bodies, that they will have somehow transformed themselves into beings constructed of just energy, with little to no actual matter? I think a couple of thousand years is perhaps a little ambitious though, if I am honest. Given the current rate of expansion in the fields of bio technology, I think we probably have closer to ten thousand years before that sort of essentially magic trick, is even considered as a possibility, and it is perfectly possible that we will still only be colonising the outer reaches of this solar system by then, especially since there has been nothing like a paradigm shift in propulsion technology for a VERY long time. I think its getting a bit ahead of ourselves, since even the most advanced systems being devised now, for getting us from A to B, rely on sitting atop a heap of explosives, and praying the boom never reaches the capsule.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Waking up in the future..
I do that every night.
I go to bed today and when I wake up its tomorrow.
Or is it today and last night yesterday?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

originally posted by: watchandwait410

I get where you are coming from which is why I gave you a star but I have 4 points to explain.

1. Once we colonize space there will be plenty of resources and space.

Ah, so your path to the future would hold that before this expansion into the realms of reanimating the dead, we would first have had to develop advanced propulsion methods, in order to colonise at least this one solar system, if not the surrounding star systems?

2. I believe that eventually we as humans will figure out what souls are and use them for what ever we want. For example like in Halo when master chief gets respawned, something like that.

Looking at the way things are going now, I just do not believe that is the case. Every question we answer about the human brain, every chip we take off of the whole question as to the specifics of its function, draw us closer to the conclusion that the soul is something beyond scientific examination, that it cannot be quantified, measured, its position in space and time nailed down or even hinted at. EVERY question we answer takes us further from an answer to the question of the soul. We know it is not in heart muscle or any of the organs housed in the torso, because practically every organ can be replaced with a machine, at least for a time, without the soul abandoning the body. We also have no reason to suspect that the soul is contained within the brain, because all our studies of that organ, as previously mentioned, take us further away from an answer to the soul conundrum, not closer.

There is no reason, based on the direction of the sciences, with regard to their explorations of the human experience, which suggest any route to even approach the matter of the soul from. It is my understanding that the soul does not exist as a physical property of the universe, but is held outside it and of a nature that no tool could ever tweak, nor rule ever measure.

3. I agree with you that people don't experience the true afterlife until one actually dies.

4. I think also that the human race (if we don't get extinct) will "walk" into the afterlife w/o actually ever dying... but that is prolly in like 1 or 2 thousand years is my guess.

I assume that at the point you are speaking of, the human race will no longer be possessed of bodies, that they will have somehow transformed themselves into beings constructed of just energy, with little to no actual matter? I think a couple of thousand years is perhaps a little ambitious though, if I am honest. Given the current rate of expansion in the fields of bio technology, I think we probably have closer to ten thousand years before that sort of essentially magic trick, is even considered as a possibility, and it is perfectly possible that we will still only be colonising the outer reaches of this solar system by then, especially since there has been nothing like a paradigm shift in propulsion technology for a VERY long time. I think its getting a bit ahead of ourselves, since even the most advanced systems being devised now, for getting us from A to B, rely on sitting atop a heap of explosives, and praying the boom never reaches the capsule.

1. I think that someone will pop out of no where and discover a way to open up the Universe, like Einstein smart. If not a human then definitely a AI, AI are going to make the current technology seem like stone age tools. I give the timeline for that 100 years, I am very optimistic.

2.I think everything can be explained because I believe everything is information not energy, energy is information.
I know people want to think that they are special and can't be explained but I think everything can be explained with enough time. If we could figure out what is outside or the purpose of the Universe/life the we can do anything.

3. I believe we will be pure information relatively soon, once AI think for themselves ad learn at an exponentially fast rate then we are currently living in the stone age compared to as little as 500 years in the future.

You have to open your eyes to stuff not invented or dreamt of yet. The United States of America was not even around 500 years ago. and there life span was like 40. Some people (me included) won't be able to grasp the craziness that is that is the distant future.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Waking up in the future..
I do that every night.
I go to bed today and when I wake up its tomorrow.
Or is it today and last night yesterday?

!!! you have invented a time machine!
You can make trillions!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join