It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator John McCain - dead at age 81 (1936-2018)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: KansasGirl

His diagnosis was terminal so discontinuing treatment (announced a few days ago) is not uncommon. People in that situation decide to stop the treatment and spend what time they have left with family and friends. No point in continuing a treatment that has no hope of making a difference. It does nothing but extend the time they have left but the conclusion is the same.

I would have no desire to drag things out if it were me in that situation. While its hard on the person with cancer its destructive to the family who has to watch the ending.

Yeah I get it. See my response to Phage.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
For those viewing this thru political eyes Arizona law allows the Governor to pick a replacement.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.vox.com...

So, Ducey would pick a replacement who would serve at least until 2020, the next general election. And the winner of that election would serve the rest of McCain’s six-year term, which ends after the 2022 election, so in January 2023. The replacement has to be a Republican, like McCain. Members of the GOP are likely breathing a sigh of relief that both of Arizona’s US Senate spots won’t be in limbo, since the contest to take Flake’s seat is expected to be a contentious one. It’s one of the few opportunities Democrats have to win a senate seat currently held by Republicans in November, with Democrat Kyrsten Sinema consistently polling in the lead ahead of every one of her Republican competitors.
the Governor gets to pick a replacement of the same party so one safe red seat in senate tell 2020

first off rest in peace and sending good vibes to his family in this hard time , his pain is now ended and the healing for his family can begin

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Weird. Just this morning he was front page in the newspaper as having "completed" his treatment.

Lets see how either side exploits it.

Quite an enigma you just whipped up with that, considering he handed Obama the POTUS seat then served as his "whip" in the Senate.
edit on 25-8-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Phage

I would assume the Left will miss him more than the right. He was a RINO in every sense of the word.

RIP

Uh, you'd be hard-pressed to find any left-leaning fans of his. The right practically groveled at his feet for decades.

Either way, it's a rotten cancer to die from. My sister-in-law's mother died from it, it's quick-killing, and churns out pretty damn painful headaches (aside from other brain-centered devastation it causes) Though, I wouldn't call them "headaches" so much as possibly the most torturous pain you can't even dent, just from observing her mother grapple with them.

The quick-killing part is about the only consolation people damned with it get, most die within a year or so, if not quicker. Once you see someone wither & die from gliobastoma, you hope you never see another person die from it. It's a nasty, nasty cancer.
edit on 8/25/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Just this morning he was front page int en newspaper as having "completed" his treatment.

No. He chose to end treatment.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Weird. Just this morning he was front page in the newspaper as having "completed" his treatment.

Quite an enigma you just whipped up with that, considering he handed Obama the POTUS seat then served as his "whip" in the Senate.

Uhm no... He discontinued his treatment. Not the same thing.

As for the rest I a not understanding what you are meaning so if you can clarify.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com... older nyt article on it

McCain is not just plotting the details of his own funeral, but living it. He’s lucky. Most of us don’t get the chance to tell friends and family members how much we love them, to put things in order — and in return, to hear from those people about what a difference a life made to them. “Then I’d like to go back to our valley and see the creek run after the rain and hear the cottonwoods whisper in the wind,” said McCain in an excerpt he read from his forthcoming book, “The Restless Wave.” You could hear Hemingway, the senator’s favorite author, in those words. McCain says he may not live long enough to see the book’s release date, May 22. He has glioblastoma, an aggressive brain cancer, though a recent visitor said he was full of fight and vigor.
hope he got to do everything he wanted to before the end

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I never thought that his whole run might have been a charade. But, dayumn, you deserve that star!!

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Let's hope for once both sides can put aside their differences to respect the man.

I was no fan of his actions as a politician, but I still can acknowledge and respect his service. RIP, John McCain. RIP.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Let's hope for once both sides can put aside their differences to respect the man.

I was no fan of his actions as a politician, but I still can acknowledge and respect his service. RIP, John McCain. RIP.

TheRedneck

Too late for that TR....honestly, with a couple of rare exceptions, you being one of them, this thread is sickening to me..

And it's not "Breaking political news" its just "Breaking news"

R.I.P. John McCain
edit on 25-8-2018 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Well as a man he was a ok guy,BUT as a senator he was a scum bag traitor.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

*sigh* I know.

Call me a dreamer...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

In Neocon Wars I have footage of him from the 90's, regarding the Balkan's War, going off the hook on the House floor power ranting about 'we dont support nation building, etc, etc, etc', then he turns around and becomes as big a Neocon Warhawk (Imperialist) as Bush, competed with Giuliani to be the most insane Neocon ever during the 2008 campaign, where the GOP+MSM+DNC railroaded Ron Paul every which way to annhilate him from viability, all to pull that looney tunes neocon noise everyone was sick of hearing, and that whole Sarah Palin mockery, they hand it all to Obama (who Ron Paul could have beaten if the "Conservative" Republican Party + MSM etc had handed it all to him like they did Insane McCain and thus Obama... then he comes out as Obama's de facto Senate "whip", like the main guy next to Hillary in all that blowing up the Middle East nightmare that unfolded, nurturing and protecting Obama & Hillary along the way right up until what 3 days ago...

edit on 25-8-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It’s important to remember that every one of us will be in the exact same spot that McCain is right now, one way or the other. Leave the politics on this planet. Whatever mysteries await us out there he is now experiencing.

R.I.P.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

For once, I agree with you 100%.

Feels good.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I wish him peace and his family as well.

He was imperfect, as we all are.
He would be the first to acknowledge that, I think.

When someone is dying, I prefer to try to look on them with compassion, regardless of imperfection or fragile, impermanent things like politics. There are few exceptions to that general rule of mine, but McCain isn’t one of them.

I hope when it is my time, people will do the same for my imperfect life, overlooking my faults and remembering the better self I strive to be.

Rest In Peace, Senator McCain

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

He was a mass murderer.

F him.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
www.stripes.com...

“The McCain name and its impact goes back decades and decades and decades before John McCain III was even on the scene,” said former McCain adviser Richard Fontaine, who is now president of the Washington think tank Center for New American Security. “It’s a legendary name through generations of the military. You can read history books on Adm. McCain, you can sail on the USS John S. McCain and there is the annual McCain conference [at the Naval Institute]. It’s almost very rare to meet somebody in the military who doesn’t know John McCain or the McCain name.” By April 1968, more than five months into John McCain’s captivity as a POW, his father was elevated to commander in chief of Pacific Command, which oversaw U.S. forces in the Vietnam. The elder McCain would hold the post until 1972, the year that he retired from a 41-year career in the service and a year before his son would be released from captivity. Even now at 106, Roberta McCain looks back on those days without regret. “I married into the military and I loved it,” she said. “I loved it every day.” The first McCain joins the Navy When John Sidney “Slew” McCain of Mississippi took a U.S. Naval Academy entrance exam on a whim, it launched a new military trajectory for his family. The McCains had always followed a path into the Army, and even the senior McCain had planned to attend the U.S. Military Academy at West Point until he took the Navy test. His son, grandsons and great-grandsons would follow in his footsteps. “When you join a service, it immediately starts to have an impact on you – its ethics, ethos, its systems,” said Navy veteran Joe McCain, younger brother to Sen. John McCain. But “I don’t think we impacted the Navy anywhere near as much as the Navy has impacted us.” Slew McCain was a slender man dubbed “Popeye the Sailor Man” for his jocular humor, disheveled look and trademark cigar. He came to be known as the pioneer of Navy carrier attacks during his 39-year career. By the end of World War II, Slew appeared weary as the stress of combat had taken its toll. He died at home during a homecoming party four days after the Japanese surrendered in 1945. He was posthumously awarded a fourth star, the Navy’s highest rank. His son, John Sidney “Jack” McCain, who also attended the Naval Academy, became a World War II submarine commander who quickly rose the ranks. In Sen. John McCain’s 2018 book “The Restless Wave,” the Arizona Republican recalls an early memory of his father as he dashed away to the war.
seems the bulk of eligible family members served in the armed forces of the usa, and his mother (106) now has to bury her son

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I am sure his ex-shipmates on the Forrestal are going to arrange a 'warm' welcome for him where he is going.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join