It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Marijuana-like compound fights Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A synthetic compound designed to mimic the active component of Marijuana has been found to reduce inflammation and prevent mental deterioration in an animal model of Alzheimer's disease. This study also seemingly suggests that similiar compounds, maybe even Marijuana itself could do the same in Humans. The paper focuses on cannabinoids only.

www.betterhumans.com
They found that in the brain tissue of people who died from Alzheimer's, there was dramatically reduced functioning of cannabinoid receptors compared to people of the same age who died without the condition, meaning sufferers had lost the ability to benefit from cannabinoids' protective effects.

Supporting this finding, the researchers showed in rats that cannabinoids prevent cognitive decline.
The research is reported in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. My grandfather had this disease and he got so bad he started to try to go back to work(He was a Streetcar driver from 1930-1970ish), and driving and getting lost. They require tons of supervision. I find this find a hopeful sign that someday soon this horrible affliction can be a thing of the past.

On a more positive note, this is yet another nail in the coffin for the medical marijuana sceptics, soon the grave will be dug and we will forget a sorry period of prohibition history.

Related News Links:
www.betterhumans.com
www.betterhumans.com

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%. Marijuana is not as evil of a drug as they would have us believe. The only unique thing about this drug is that it makes for good job security within the goverment and for law enforcement.

I personally am not afraid to say "I have used Marijuana" I feel that it works better for candidates suffering with chemical imbalances than anywhere else in the medical field. I have been on everything from Zoloft to Effexor for PTSD and Bi Polar, I have noticed that if I am not taking any meds and just smoke little amounts of weed 2 to 3 times a day, It actually helps me think better at 1 single level rather than bouncing from High to Low all the time, Thier are also no bad side effex like erectel dysfunction, dizziness etc, like what comes along with taking Effexor. I can actually focus and function like a real human being while using marijuana then being "zombietized" by chemical made medications.

By the way I say.............. Legalize Weed, it does help, mind what other people who have never suffered say about weed.... They are just ignorant!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Good find sardion!

But woe is me.

I'm allergic to a mold in marijuana. ...Do you think something can be done about that mold?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I actually react the opposite to marijuana, I become introverted, ani-social, I start doing something, turn around begin doing something else, forget what I was doing in the first place etc., and then after I come down, for about 24 hours I feel tired, unmotivated and cranky. I know that not everyone reacts this way to it, I too know people who suffer from depression, and are aided in it by a few tokes a day, but on the other hand I know people who suffer from depression in whom smoking it can bring on an axiety attack. It's amazing how a simple plant can effect so many people differently.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hey you guys! I don't speak up very often but this time I had to say something. I have anxiety and all that other stuff too. Pot just makes it worse and I can't stand all the drugs either so I just deal with it. On the other hand my husband has Crohn's Disease. After 20 some odd pills a day for 8 years and dropping down to 136 from 210 kinda figured we'd give it a shot. It is the only thing that works to give him an appetite, deal with the pain, and along with surgery he's back up to 190. Luckily we live in a state where you can get a prescription. It should be legal in all states. Hopefully some day. Until then everybody should just move HERE!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I feel I should point out again that they were testing a synthetic compound on animals. Opinions aside corrolation does not equal causation. It's all maybe, mights and could be's nothing solid yet, but it is heartening that positive results seem to be outnumbering negative results at least 3-1 and hopefully will spur more research efforts in this field.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is an amazing find in Scientific and biological discovery! How come the mainstream media NEVER publishes strong good point's about weed? There are loads of good points to weed ie. It help MS sufferers, Cancer patients (either to cure the cancer or help recovery using chemo.), people who suffer from arthritis, to help relieve stress and THOUSANDS of other uses but STILL to this day people deny it as a good thing this could be a very good thing just imagine a world a without alchohol now REALLY think about what I just said. Then imagine a world without Cannabis again think about it. Lets not forget about the many MILLIONS of people who do smoke it but never tells a soul because they believe they will be locked up. Well lets look at facts, FACT: LEGAL drugs prescribed and signed by your GP kills around about 100,000 people in 2002 put another 10,000 on top and thats alchohol deaths. FACT #2: Only approx. 19,000 die because of illegal drugs BUT how many of those drugs taken had been mixed/cut with something else. FINAL FACT: How many deaths cause directly or indirectly to Cannabis = 0 YES that's right zero, nil, NOTHING so why do people keep putting this beautiful plant and all of its benefits down???? And another good point it makes my mind very creative this very plant is the one that helped me find the ATS site in which is a decision I shall never regret. I also believe that a world filled with cannabis users will be a peaceful and warless world (Not in a hippie way).

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, It is the courage to continue that counts. - Sir Winston Churchill

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hunting Veritas
(Not in a hippie way).

*puts hands on hips* "and what, pray tell is wrong with hippies?"

Actually everything Veritas said is seriously solid IMO. I just happen to BE a hippie chick perusing the boards........

PEACE MAN!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kastinyque
I actually react the opposite to marijuana, I become introverted, ani-social, I start doing something, turn around begin doing something else, forget what I was doing in the first place etc., and then after I come down, for about 24 hours I feel tired, unmotivated and cranky. I know that not everyone reacts this way to it, I too know people who suffer from depression, and are aided in it by a few tokes a day, but on the other hand I know people who suffer from depression in whom smoking it can bring on an axiety attack. It's amazing how a simple plant can effect so many people differently.

Most likely it's not the plant kastinyque - but a mold. There is one mold common to marijuana that creates the exact symptoms you describe.

PS sardion - I have several studies that show nicotine slows or prevents Alzheimer's... I hide them, but they look solid.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Greeeeat...

I for one am all for the legalization of the tasty plant, but it seems like this is a double-edged sword. Anyone who has been a habitual smoker of God's Gift to Herbs can agree that there are some serious side effects on the short-term memory. Namely that it... ...it...

...um... What were we talking about?

Anyway, I suppose it would largely depend on what one wants to do with their memories. One can either opt to go with Alz and lose their long-term memories, but be fully aware of the short-term memories, or they can live life a' la Momento and remember their youth quite well, but forget why they wandered to the lobby of their nursing home just now.

I guess it all depends on how happy one's life has been up till now. Perhaps some would prefer to lose the long term memories.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
PS sardion - I have several studies that show nicotine slows or prevents Alzheimer's...

Yeah I know that already. Nicotine has alot of uses, that is NOT in cigarette form
I was extremely surprised when scientists learned that Caffiene can reverse stroke damage as well
I know not on the same subject but still.... Everyone knows that these two substances are neural-stimulants, just ask any smoker or coffie drinker how easy it is to fall asleep after a nice coffie or a satifiying smoke?

top topics

join