It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just got VR WOW! just WOW get one!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well I finally took the plunge on a Oculus Rift with out ever trying it before. I was on the fence with whether or not it was worth it. Well it was totally worth it and then some!

I built a budget gaming computer ($900) and only running a 1060 and it works flawlessly, I would say it almost changed my perception of reality.

I have only played the demo called first contact and I am just in awe. it was worth the $350 bucks just for that experience. I love how you can pick objects up and examine them by holding close to your face and feel of picking up a gun and aiming down the sights. Not a twinge of motion sickness yet but in flying games I could see it being a issue.

It is by far the best piece of hardware I have ever owned.

Get one! Get one now, sell a kidney if you have to, sell something you never use., THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I wish the oculus rift could be hooked up to a normal computer seeing how I just got a pretty good 2 months ago one for 500 bucks.

VR does sound intriguing though.

Are there a lot of different games or is it just a trickle for now?

VR and augmented reality is just going to get more and more popular.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

There are a lot of games but they are pretty short, I am sure its only gonna get better.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Another half decade and the market will be where I want it.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I wonder if the next xbox and playstation consoles will have VR features, that would be good. I could imagine a VR MMORPG, I would invest in that.
edit on 25-8-2018 by watchandwait410 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have VR (Oculus Rift) don't use it much, too much real world stuff to do. I'm into MMORPG's so bought into OrbusVR when it was crowd sourced, its coming along pretty good. Lots of free content, Spacewalks are pretty cool especially when You screw up and blow up the space station.
edit on 25-8-2018 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What it needs is a killer app, maybe a decent MMORPG that is set up for it. Until then it will remain very cool, but a novelty.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I have the Oculus Rift as well as the Samsung Gear VR. I suggest Lone Echo, EVE: Valkyrie, and Elite Dangerous (space games). Another fun VR game is Robo Recall on the Oculus Rift.
edit on 8/25/2018 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I would say it almost changed my perception of reality.

Is that a good thing? Sounds a bit worrying, to be honest.

As someone who struggles with controlling the usage of 2D screens, VR sounds like the devil to me.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

aren't all games in a sense, novelty's?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I've been on the fence as well for buying a VR set... apparently Oculus doesn't like my video card

I wrote this a while back

Your experiences with VR

Trying to gauge if its worth the price... $600 plus in canada... but i haven't even tried VR until recently

I have an iphone 8 and a headset from last Xmas that i've never even used... so i've been fiddling with that in the past few weeks... its not bad so far

Im sure eventually i'll end up getting a set... probably the Mixed reality set

IF you wanna see something really neat.... look into Microsoft Hololens...

its an Augmented reality set.... and its only $4000

LMAO!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I have been playing Marvel Powers United. I also like the Game Viral EX. My wife likes Perfect which is a rest and relax thingy. Yeah, it is awesome. You can play online with others. I still have both kidneys!!

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I agree. My buddy picked up the PS4 VR Bundle and the Batman Arkham game was killer....but way too short.

I have the Samsung VR Gear and its incredible. Don't have a lot of time to mess with it though.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've played some of the short games: Smash, Dreadhalls and Ocean Rift.

Smash is a breakout games that runs you through various different abstract environments. Dreadhalls is a simple RPG that lets you explore a horror theme gothic environments. Ocean Rift lets you visit the ocean in various environments (virtual shark cage, swimming with blue whales, mammattees and other critters). There are virtual shooting ranges

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Maybe when Mechwarrior 5 comes out.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Yup!

Love the stuff meself.

I didn't find the performance difference between WMR and the rift to be enough to justify cost, but the tech is really neat.

Especially once you get something like VorpX. A lot of the software is essentially a tech demo, but there are some real winners even there.

Absolutely can't wait to see where its at in 5-10 years!

top topics

join