It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion and Veganism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

I think the main difference between east and west religions is in the definition of God. Eastern religions teach that the garden of Eden is within every single one of us. That before we can be one with God we need be one with that Garden, the atman (or soul) within.

What if the one within is a myth?
What if the Garden of Eden is right here and right now.........when the (imaginary) dividing line vanishes?

Hear now that which is here to hear.........is there a perceivable/detectable boundary or edge or line between the sound and the hearing?

Just something to consider..

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Babies learn to crawl before they can walk for good reason. Many say that when we realise the Atman (soul) is emptiness then we will see Brahman (God) in all. If the only way to the Father (Brahman) is through the son (Atman) then that path must be walked.

The Kabbalah tree of life and that of Hindu's Chakra's are one and the same. One does not have to realise the tree's existence to open the gates. They will open by their own accord when we turn to altruism (practising Bodhicitta or in Christianity "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself").

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

a reply to: Itisnowagain
The Kabbalah tree of life and that of Hindu's Chakra's are one and the same. One does not have to realise the tree's existence to open the gates. They will open by their own accord when we turn to altruism (practising Bodhicitta or in Christianity "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself").

So, where did these people go wrong?

COMPASSION AND BODHICITTA…the killing of Rohingyas…

There is right and wrong, right? A right way or a wrong way to treat and view other people, or to behave.

Proverbs 14:12

12 There is a way that seems right to a man,

But in the end it leads to death.

Guard Against a Treacherous Heart

How about our figurative heart? It may not be easy to know its real condition. Why? We read in the Bible: “The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?” (Jer. 17:9) So our heart can deceive us, leading us to believe that no real spiritual problem exists, while others may see warning signs and be concerned. Why might we be deceived? Well, our sinful inclinations may work against us, as Satan and this system of things mask our real situation. ...

edit on 14-9-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

Romans 14:

Welcome the man having weaknesses in his faith, but do not pass judgment on differing opinions.* [Or possibly, “inward questionings.”] 2 One man has faith to eat everything, but the man who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.
13 Therefore, let us not judge one another any longer but, rather, be determined not to put a stumbling block or an obstacle before a brother. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; only where a man considers something to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if your brother is being offended because of food, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not by your food ruin* [Or “destroy.”] that one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore, do not let the good you do be spoken of as bad. 17 For the Kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit.

Song 70: Make Sure of the More Important Things

So putting man and animal on equal footing (see entire comment on the previous page) can lead to this behaviour (because the heart is treacherous and one may not be aware of their own hatred for or dislike of particular people with different beliefs about and treatmant of animals, so then an animal ends up taking priority over those people):

Muslim man dies in India after attack by Hindu 'cow protectors' | World news | The Guardian

A Muslim man has died in western India after he was attacked by hundreds of Hindu cow protection vigilantes, the latest attack in a spate of mob killings in the name of the revered animal.
In September 2015 a Muslim man from a village near Delhi was lynched after being accused of storing beef in his freezer.

Modi rebuked the vigilantes last August after videos emerged showing young Dalits – India’s least socially dominant caste, tasked with disposing of dead cows – being flogged for handling the animals’ carcasses.

Romans 14:15

15 For if your brother is being offended because of food, you are no longer walking according to love.

So don't be so easily deceived by taking the first step, putting animals and humans on equal footing. They are not considered equals by the One who created them.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

"So, where did these people go wrong?"

Uneducated self righteous "good" killing what they assume to be "evil" is not new.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

"Muslim man dies in India after attack by Hindu 'cow protectors'"

Extremist Hindu groups are no different from extremist Christian groups. If you don't think extremist Christian Groups represents Christianity why are you promoting that extremist Hindu groups represent's Hinduism or Buddhism.

For example does the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda that have killed over 100,000 people represent Christianity?

Or the National Liberation Front of Tripura that have murdered 1000's Hindu's over demands for their own Christian state in India represent Christianity?

Or the Christian dominated US dropping 26,000 bombs in 7 Muslim countries in 2016.

I personally don't think any of these groups or governments represent Christian virtues. So I'd appreciate that you refrain from suggesting that the acts of extremist have anything to do with religion. All these criminal acts are from people that reject God.

Romans 14:15 15 For if your brother is being offended because of food, you are no longer walking according to love.

I understand that Christianity doesn't promote veganism. But Christianity had to conform to Roman social conventions else it would never had been accepted by Europeans. So Paul was sitting on a fence, on one side he had the original Aramaic Christians (Ebionites were vegetarian), on the other side, the meat eating Romans. So he took the only course available to him. Modifying the teachings to help facilitate and expedite the conversion of the Romans.

But religion aside, what if the earth was invaded by highly intelligent aliens. Would we be upset if they decided to use us as a food source. Is that not what we do. Eat lower life forms.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

"So, where did these people go wrong?"

Uneducated self righteous "good" killing what they assume to be "evil" is not new.

Not an answer to my question. Oh wait, maybe it is, a bit short though; and that's more like the endresult. I was alluding to discussing something about where it starts to go wrong in their thinking, what makes them self-righteous in the first place and feeling better than others who are doing something wrong/bad or evil in their eyes. Surely there's a bit more to it, such as why they feel they're better than those who eat meat in the case you later responded to, beef in particular in that case. Even though they may never admit it to themselves or notice it in themselves (that feeling including the disdain for others), like some other people who promote vegetarianism and veganism with a certain disdain hidden* in their hearts for those who eat meat or kill animals for other reasons.

*: hidden in the sense that they are unaware of it and are often unwilling to consider the connection between their behaviour and the things they were taught about the relationship between animals and humans, that they should be treated and viewed as the same, that there's nothing special about humans that puts humans above animals, no notion of humans being created in the image of God with special attributes that animals don't have, man being told to have the animals in subjection and that "every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for" humans; Genesis 1:26; 9:3.

Eating meat or refraining from it does not make one a better person. (Romans 14:1-17)

Romans 14:15

15 For if your brother is being offended because of food, you are no longer walking according to love.

There's a first step in the way of viewing life before someone becomes offended because of what other people eat (regarding the eating of animals as explained in the context I quoted earlier). If one doesn't believe animals and humans are at least equals, there's a lot less incentive for someone to become offended with those who eat animals. The teaching that humans and animals are equals in everything, or that humans are animals, is a trapdoor that leads to other traps. Go through one, and if there is any disdain to play on, one can fall into the other trap Satan has prepared for mankind, where people start treating other humans they don't like as less than (certain) animals, just because they're suspected of transporting some beef for example.
edit on 15-9-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Extremist Hindu groups are no different from extremist Christian groups. If you don't think extremist Christian Groups represents Christianity why are you promoting that extremist Hindu groups represent's Hinduism or Buddhism.

I didn't. Why do some people feel the need to defend the notion of putting animals on equal footing with humans and the behaviour it may lead to?

I understand that Christianity doesn't promote veganism.

You seem to have been arguing something else as well in the OP concerning "Christianity". Allthough it wasn't completely clear what it was that you were arguing there. You certainly left out some important parts from the bible that true Christianity (not Christendom) is based on, important parts concerning this topic of eating meat (under "Christianity" in the OP, where you were talking about vegetarianism primarily rather than veganism). No worries, cause I'm around to make sure nobody can play the ignorance-card as they promote their ideas here, leaving out any inconvenient facts or bible scriptures that don't fit with their ideas, ideologies and beliefs (or interpretations of Scripture).

I hope that didn't come out the wrong way or leaves the wrong impression.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

as an idiom it may mean "bye."

in word "catch" though there is another meaning. like hunting, running after a thing that is willing to go away from you.

thus i said: call me sincerely. i will respond better. dont try to catch me. i will not try again to explain this.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

i think more people are offended by vegetarians. eventually everyone is.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

your claim falls flat @ judaism

" gwad " alledgedly likes the smell of burning animals

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

i think more people are offended by vegetarians. eventually everyone is.

Maybe, but it was harder for me to find an example of someone being burned alive or beaten to death for being (suspected of being) a vegetarian. Anyway, Romans 14:15 addresses anyone being offended because of food (or what others eat). It reminds anyone that as soon as they get offended because of the eating pattern of others (regardless if that includes eating meat or being a vegetarian), they are "no longer walking according to love".

Do you think that teaching, warning or reminder might have helped some people in India and surrounding areas to gain some perspective on the matter if they would take the bible in its entirety a bit more seriously, rather than just the parts that they can use for their beliefs, ideas and ideologies (such as only bringing up Genesis 1:29 when one wants to discuss this subject, but not Genesis 9:3 or any of the other scriptures dicsussed in the article "Is It Wrong to Eat Meat?" on the previous page)?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I dont know. I am not a vegeterian in usual sense of the word neither i enjoy eating meat and i remember eating dust.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I was alluding to discussing something about where it starts to go wrong in their thinking, what makes them self-righteous in the first place and feeling better than others

My goodmess whereislogic, Its got absolutely nothing to do about others at all. Its about personal empathy for the animals killed. That their life ended prematurely because of our actions.

every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for" humans; Genesis 1:26; 9:3

Genesis 1:29 "Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." was replaced with Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.".

Its seems God changed his mind. But why?

From style and words used its clear that many different authors wrote Genesis. Some may have been spiritual and some not. For me, the first chapter of Genesis seems very spiritual (symbolism etc) whereas many of the succeeding chapters, don't. There is also a 1,000 year period when Torah went missing so we don't even know if today's Torah is faithful to the original.

But I agree, as the Torah stands today, it doesn't favour vegetarians.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

to defend the notion of putting animals on equal footing with humans

I don't think that's really their primary reason. They just use it as an excuse to themselves to kindle hatred of others.

I hope that didn't come out the wrong way or leaves the wrong impression.

My mistake, I did not fully realise your point of view, so now see why you emphasized murders etc. My apologies.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

as an idiom it may mean "bye."

in word "catch" though there is another meaning. like hunting, running after a thing that is willing to go away from you.

thus i said: call me sincerely. i will respond better. dont try to catch me. i will not try again to explain this.

There is also "lets catch up" that means to meet. So I don't think its anything to do with what you are inferring. If anything "catch you latter" means to capture your attention.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

so you didnt type my name wrong intentionally. is this what you are saying?

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yes agree, it does seem Gwad loves cooked meat except bacon.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Damla

No, of cause not.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

i ll take your word for it. unlike you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join