It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Centuries-Old Carvings Emerge From River – And Their Message Is Depressing

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yeah, depressing to say the least, much like the the political bull crap on this site.........

The carved “hunger stones” can be found in the Elbe River near the northern Czech Republic town of Decin, not far from the German border. Of course, their ominous foreshadowing is not magical hocus-pocus, it’s just simple science. At times when the river's water levels drop, namely as a result of drought, the forbidding stones steadily emerge from the water. A long time ago, this would prompt people to start stockpiling food and praying for rain. As reported by The Associated Press, an unprecedented number of the stones have re-emerged once again in light of the scorching drought that has hit Europe this summer. One of the stones is chiseled with an ominous German inscription that reads: “When you see me, cry.” A later Czech inscription reads: “Don't cry, girl, don't fret. When it's dry, just spray your field wet.” Others stones feature watermarks detailing the dates of previous droughts, the earliest of which occurred in 1417. "It expressed that drought had brought a bad harvest, lack of food, high prices and hunger for poor people. Before 1900, the following droughts are commemorated on the stone: 1417, 1616, 1707, 1746, 1790, 1800, 1811, 1830, 1842, 1868, 1892, and 1893," researchers wrote in a 2013 study about droughts throughout Czech history.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Its happening in Spain too.
Also in parts of Japan no rain now for 3 weeks. Watermelon are becoming to cottonie to eat.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

A link would be nice.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Here's one.

It adds a little wrinkle:

That particular stone is now a bit of a tourist attraction; it's one of the oldest hydrological landmarks in central Europe. Also, because of a dam on a tributary of the Elbe, it's seen more often now than it used to be, according to a Decin tourist site — although the current river levels are still exceptional.

So maybe a little less depressing.

It's a pretty fantastic idea, actually. Like a reverse flood gauge for the ages. Fascinating story.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Also in parts of Japan no rain now for 3 weeks. Watermelon are becoming to cottonie to eat.

Its pretty much the worst drought on record here in NSW, Australia.
Whenever there are El Nino conditions its guaranteed to be pretty dry here but nothing like this though, all available fodder to feed stock has run out in NSW and farmers are having to pay huge transport costs to truck in feed from as far as South Australia.
Now many grain growers are having to forego their winter crop for the FIRST TIME EVER.
Ironically as I type this its raining outside.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

Agree, my block is dry, dams are low. I'm buying water but thank goodness for this little bit of rain in the Northern Rivers.

Helped dampen the bushfire near my lot.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
So considering the dates, does this show that drought and high temperatures are cyclical climate change and not due to man made co2?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos
So considering the dates, does this show that drought and high temperatures are cyclical climate change and not due to man made co2?

Drought has been documented since the Ancient Egyptians started recording their resources. Let's not derail a thread into political points about climate change.

@ - Groot...that's very interesting and it's a period of time in Europe (14th-16th C) that always seems to touch a nerve in my imagination. I love how people use their intelligence to mark the stones for future reference. At the same time, those carved letters represent suffering of the local communities. They show limits to what they could store over the coming winter and hardships that might extend for the next six months till new spring. It's also evidence of a literate population. Very cool.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

This is a "rain in spain" musical joke, or you are being serious?
edit on 25-8-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I'm near Lithgow, NSW and its bad even here. We rent on a farm and the only green grass on the entire property is in our yard - primarily because I've been keeping it alive with dam water. We have a big 50000 gallon water tank that has less than a foot of water left in it, we've been trying not to buy water because we can't afford it and just surviving on the odd few millimetres of rain we've been getting infrequently but if we don't get decent rain in the next few days we'll have to.

The owner has destocked down to his core stock and is having to feed them with hay and grain which is rapidly running out. Farmers plan for droughts, but nobody could have predicted how long this would go on. If NSW and QLD don't get the September spring rains then we're all in deep trouble.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos

Drought has been documented since the Ancient Egyptians started recording their resources. Let's not derail a thread into political points about climate change.

@ - Groot...that's very interesting and it's a period of time in Europe (14th-16th C) that always seems to touch a nerve in my imagination. I love how people use their intelligence to mark the stones for future reference. At the same time, those carved letters represent suffering of the local communities. They show limits to what they could store over the coming winter and hardships that might extend for the next six months till new spring. It's also evidence of a literate population. Very cool.

It was, and is not my intention to derail this thread, that is something I would never intentionally do. However, due to the age and nature of these markings, it is important evidence that shows devastating droughts are a natural cycle and cannot be blamed on AGW, the narrative of which is constantly being pushed these days. Historical finds like these are very important, as they give another perspective of real life in a time where only the privelaged few had the capability to record events, which could be skewed to their perception or indeed agenda.

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
People have short memories these days..Australia is renown for drought as 85% of the continent is marked as semi arid desert..Last drought was just over 10 years ago.Its El Nio returning..
www.theguardian.com...

top topics

join