It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Can the USA be Repossessed?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
oh well, thanks anyways.....got a feelling it's hebrew...
as far as the solar cells go, anything that deals with alternative energies would be great if we could be the ones to come up with some viable alternatives....unfortunately, I don't expect to get much help from our gov't in that area.....they seem to be too concerned with protecting their oil interests.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
heh, if we collected our debts it would nullify the debt, and be considered and act of war.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
heh, if we collected our debts it would nullify the debt, and be considered and act of war.

It's all on paper and already factored in - the US national debt is now over $7.7 trillion dollars and interest is over $2.2 billion every day.

So it's going up, fast. Plus, the interest rates rise every time the debt is re-negotiated. Plus, the value of the US dollar is falling fast.

Sorry. No way to pretend this problem isn't real. It's real, it's big, and it's not going away.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Lazarus
I think that's an excellent idea, but I predict failure for two reasons.
1. If it was important enough to keep those running on your platform out of power, electronic voting machines will ride to the rescue.
2. If the powers that be think they can work with ambitious upstart, they'll get elected, make a couple of fiery speeches to small crowds, then get real pale and go quiet for the rest of their 40 year term.

I really like the base idea though, of using solar cells and fuel cells to remake our country. It's very strong, and could easily be the future of not only terrestrial energy, but space based energy collection systems. The ability to harvest clean, renewable energy straight from the sun would be incredible. It would change mankind forever.

Imagine a giant solar refractor, or dozens of them as you please, floating in between earth and the sun in geosychronous high orbit. They can take the heat and light from the sun, and transmit the energy in the form of lasers down to earth based thermal solar panels. You would have to make a special solar panel to receive the laser if it was high powered, but the amount of energy would be signifigant, and largely dependable.

There are dozens of other ideas that could be applied. It really is amazing what human ingenuity is capable of. I think the future is only possible with some form of cooperation, but I sometimes fear mankind is incapable of true cooperation.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am serious about getting the solar export business rolling... and fast...

our devalued dollar makes us the best manufacturing country.

My friend who is trying to go solar said the backorders are past three months...
the salesperson said they are all going to europe...
why should they get all the advantages of clean energy... when we are the ones making them...

a unique opportunity... i am going to research the next elections coming up and see if we don't have a potential politician that wants to "make a difference" (translated= get elected)

all we need is one state to take it on... the others will follow as soon as the economic viability is assured...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hmmm.

So Laz - you're saying we can pull a comeback with a new industry, specifically fuel cells and hydrogen power?

WyrdeOne - you say it won't work, we need to get creative, stretch and look to the star.

...Seems like these ideas could come together... The beginnings of a plan.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Filed this earlier, forgot about it. Interesting commentary.

It is quite ironic: only a decade or so after the idea of the United States as an imperial power came to be accepted by both right and left, and people were actually able to talk openly about an American empire, it is showing multiple signs of its inability to continue. And indeed it is now possible to contemplate, and openly speculate about, its collapse.

The neocons in power in Washington these days, those who were delighted to talk about America as the sole empire in the world following the Soviet disintegration, will of course refuse to believe in any such collapse, just as they ignore the realities of the imperial war in Iraq. But I think it behooves us to examine seriously the ways in which the U.S. system is so drastically imperiling itself that it will cause not only the collapse of its worldwide empire but drastically alter the nation itself on the domestic front.

Collapse of the American Empire

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Another forgotten tidbit.

Among those still interested in fiscal sanity, and that includes quite a few Republicans, I bring your attention to two tax cuts that should be repealed right now for the sound reason that they are perfectly nuts.

A whopping 54 percent of the two cuts goes to the two-tenths of one percent of Americans who make more than $1 million a year. And 97 percent of the cuts goes to the 4 percent of the population with incomes over $200,000. (All figures from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Joint Committee on Taxation.)

The Joint Committee estimates that these two cut tax cuts will reduce the government's income by $9 billion in 2010 and $16 billion in 2015. The center points out that the cost of cuts is significantly understated because the estimates do not assume relief from the alternative minimum tax, a measure popular on Capitol Hill this year.

The center's report says, "If these two tax cuts were to be cancelled ... Congress and the president could avert cuts in areas like health care, child care, housing assistance and food stamp assistance for low-income working families."

It is a rather clear choice of moral values.

The $200 Million Disinformation Campaign

....It's by Molly Ivins. She's a hoot.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Am new here so dont know how well this will be viewed, but anyhow.

The world as a whole is in a huge amount of debt, so how can money even be worth anything if it is basically valueless?

Who did america borrow all the money off? if it is countries that owe it money why not just cancell out debts to relieve the problem?

just some pontificating,

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rowingcrazy

Who did america borrow all the money off? if it is countries that owe it money why not just cancell out debts to relieve the problem?

The way accounting works, payables already cancel out receivables.

IMO - Carlyle, the Bank of International Settlements and a few other top players are hangin out waiting for the dollar to fall on the floor and they'll pick up all the paper for a song - and then, they'll own America, full and clear.

Sucks to be popular.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join