It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "deadlift" Montreal gym attack!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
What is interesting though is that contrary to popular opinion the weight-lifting scene is actually very against violence.

And that's quite strange to some people.

Because a lot of people ask, why do you even want to be bigger? Almost expecting something aggro ...

No I actually just wanted to be healthier, and I found this, and really enjoyed it.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I have had uncomfortable instances though.

So the one afternoon doing the circuit (only two others in the gym, nobody to be seen for miles). Even the staff probably went to smoke.
I sit in the lateral-row machine and start my first set.
Here comes the only old geezer in the gym, stands about a meter away from me, and starts swearing like a sailor.
I pretend to finish my set, and get up, and he sneers in my face, sideways like a crocodile: "Before you use a machine, you must first make sure nobody else is using it".

I'm like, Mister, you should have told me.
I mean there was nobody at the machine when I got there, no sign of life.
Then he says: "But I'm telling you now"!
And he flicks his tongue around, like a triumphant reptile.

I thought, don't even get in a fight, he's your elder, and I'm already post-elder, so he's an elder-elder.
Sometimes old people just want to be right.
But I knew he was ex-army with a glance.
I thought just move on - don't say anything.
And that worked fine.
edit on 23-8-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm not qualified to talk about his form because I generally don't dead lift when preparing for races.

However there's a good school of thought from Canada's Firas Zahabi who helped train famous UFC fight George Saint Pierre that all training should be done at 70% so you can actually train everyday vs going max lift and having to rest. He references Cuban boxers and Russian wrestlers who are very accomplished internationally because they train in that way. Then go 100% for short terms before a competition.

Perhaps this young guy should be doing that.

And yes that guy is a douche bag of the highest order. Gym elitists are douche bags in general.

Anyone in the gym should have respect for everyone in the gym because they are trying to improve themselves. If they aren't doing something correctly help them out!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: FamCore

No squat rack either, no ground work, no dead-lift, pizza and doughnuts outside.... sounds more like a "come hear to feel better fatty" kinda place not a gym.

This is one time I totally agree with one of your posts.
I looked for a rebuttal , and I have nuthin

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic

I was predominantly a thrower (highland games) and we trained similarly ...85 plus percent is a slow movement and generally done off season, during season we would lift in the 65 to 70 percent range focusing on technic and moving the weight fast, the other consideration is max lifts reduce flexibility. would fit with the mma requirements also....and our focus was Olympic lifts, then power movements.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

The volume is the key, Russian lifters will max daily on squat, clean and jerk, and snatch but they will do the bulk "warm ups" at 135 ...3 to 4 sets, not high reps, but stretching at the bottom position and holding bottom position.. 700 lbs max would be something like this : 135 x 4 sets 10 ish reps slow stretching from leg to leg in bottom position, 315 x 1 rep, 500x 1 rep, 600x1 rep, 700x1 rep.....done with squat.
compared to a basic pyramid 225 for major reps, 315 major reps, increasing 90 lbs per set until the target 700 max ...by which time you've over trained.
But as I said I trained for performance, so Olympic movements are best as they are compound movements using the entire body.

edit on 24-8-2018 by Knapperdude because: trying to figure out how to post pics

edit on 24-8-2018 by Knapperdude because: none

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Since it is a gym and training focused thread.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Tonight I just wanted a pic of my new blanket, and for a joke I flexed.

Oh my hat, is that me?
Not much to some, but for me that is astounding.

Well I put a lot of work into it (no steroids or funny business).
What did you think would happen?
I just thought I was hanging out with the guys and we did some weights.

Wow - that's really me.
Not everybody might call it pretty.
But it sure was fun.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
My trainer, I must say, there's a method to his dictatorship.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
How to survive a plague.

I must say, getting bigger is always a good sign.
edit on 24-8-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Knapperdude

I was predominantly a thrower (highland games) and we trained similarly ...85 plus percent is a slow movement and generally done off season, during season we would lift in the 65 to 70 percent range focusing on technic and moving the weight fast, the other consideration is max lifts reduce flexibility. would fit with the mma requirements also....and our focus was Olympic lifts, then power movements.

You in Cali? I know a guy that would compete in Highland games around the Bay Area and your name is familiar, PM me if you don’t feel like posting your personal info.).

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   
And to add, thank heavens I never had that sex change back when I was 24.

I would have been so unhappy now.

No really, I think different genes get switched on during different phases of our lives.
Therefore, in my experience, don't mess with your natural body.

I like my male body now, it took a long time to be comfortable.
But thank you Lord that I kept it.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
And to add, thank heavens I never had that sex change back when I was 24.

I would have been so unhappy now.

No really, I think different genes get switched on during different phases of our lives.
Therefore, in my experience, don't mess with your natural body.

I like my male body now, it took a long time to be comfortable.
But thank you Lord that I kept it.

Yeah messing with your “meat and veg” is not something to be done lightly or with haste that’s for sure, thankfully never had any sexual identity issues but I make up for it with other issues lol. As a side bar my English Bulldog (RIP after 10.5yrs) was bred in South Africa!

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Yeah, I mean obviously not speaking for everyone.

But life continues after 40, I didn't foresee that even when I was 24.

Just saying, for me, I'm glad.

Happy being male, it took a long time for my mind to fit this body.

But now so happy being male, like a pig in dung.

I must realize when there's a war I have to go.
I guess it goes with the territory.

Pete Seeger - Michael Row the Boat Ashore.
www.youtube.com...

I mean, masculinity, is it an attractive thing to be?
No brother, but I take my chances.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The question is, why did I want this, why did I start bodybuilding?

Well, the older people, just like they took care of me once, so now I take care of them.

And I've done Karate, martial arts whatever.
But sorry, the truth is - bigger is better.

And the secret is not to fight - you want to look like somebody they don't even want to fight with.

Yeah, and it works.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Along the way, I lost some people, but I also gained some real pride.

When it became clear that I wasn't going to be anyone's floor-mat no more, the rats jumped off the ship pretty quickly.

Although I mourned, but those fake people I lost, the Lord is returning them to me as gym brothers.
Dudes with a similar passion!

This ain't Kuwait - it's lift weight bro.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
The question is, why did I want this, why did I start bodybuilding?

Well, the older people, just like they took care of me once, so now I take care of them.

And I've done Karate, martial arts whatever.
But sorry, the truth is - bigger is better.

And the secret is not to fight - you want to look like somebody they don't even want to fight with.

Yeah, and it works.

Ehh hiding behind your size and being complacent on losing all your fighting skills or someone’s going to call you on the size bluff and they might ring your bell, not saying that will happen with you but deterrence only goes so far before you have to back it up. I’m guilty of not staying as up on my real world fighting and I got “taught a lesson” when a dude attacked me with a 2-1/2” Thick walled 3’ steel pipe and I landed the first blow but I was just trying to warn the guy off and when for his cheek and I didn’t give it my all so I landed some blows while I was containing his right arm and the weapon but he got lose and got 3 strikes I took the hits and finally connected good enough that he decided it wasn’t worth trying again. I walked away and luckily I was wearing a heavy fatigue type cap the soften the blows to my head some so I came away with a laceration and a mild concussion, never lost consciousness (never have from a fight). Moral of the story is now I’m back trying for real world fights because that could have gone very wrong and I might have got really hurt or ended up going to my pocket knife, never a good thing.

So not knocking you just trying to share the lesson I learned the hard way brother.

As per your previous comment I didn’t think you meant everyone just was throwing in my .02 and as far as attractiveness that’s all sudjected and we’ve all got ugly bits both externally and internally so I’m pretty happy with my masculinity personally but to each their own, whatever floats your boat.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This ain't the States. Litigation like this wouldn't get far. A waste of the court's time. We're too busy with human rights tribunals. Now if the lifter was a minority it might fly.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
This ain't the States. Litigation like this wouldn't get far. A waste of the court's time. We're too busy with human rights tribunals. Now if the lifter was a minority it might fly.

Watch again the dude lifting looks Asian-American or perhaps Latino.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
To quote the governator, many gyms are nice.
But something about zis gym is cool.
No aches, no pains.

Uff - tomorrow again.
Relaxation is so sweet.
Flip after lifting bro - the best, deepest sleep ever.

Yeah and it hurts, real bodybuilding hurts.
That's a testament to your pain-threshold.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join