It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "deadlift" Montreal gym attack!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
And I thought Canadians were nice people!

Anyhow, I saw this clip and this dude (a kid really) is busy training, and doing dead-lifts.

Apparently the gym owners complained that his dead-lift drop was too loud, and he should put mats underneath it.

Apparently the next time he obeyed.

But then some enraged guy storms towards him, slams the weights out of his hands (which could have caused serious injuries), and evicts him out of the gym!

Allegedly it wasn't even a staff member.

Now the clip has been shared over 4 million times on YouTube, and the self-appointed "bouncer" is being sued for assault.
Furthermore, he might be sued by the gym for costing them membership, and the assaulted guy got a free membership somewhere else.

Is this roid-rage? Did the guy have a point?
Reminds me more of a bar fight.

What do the gym-rats (or others) on ATS think?

edit on 23-8-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Some responses:

Another:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
pretty disgusting way to behave.

Looking at the video the guy is pretty crap at the deadlift, his form is all off its quite obvious that he is lifting too much weight.

I know if that was happening at my local gym their probably would have been a friendly member of staff who would just flat out tell the guy that his form was off and he was risking serious injury.

The dude who attacks him is way out of line, never any excuse for that, why he acted the way he did I don't know, there is only a couple of minutes of footage so who knows what went on before hand but based on this that guy deserves to get sued for being such a jerk.

The gym should offer that poor guy some free PT sessions though, get his form right.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

If it was roid rage, dude was getting all of the mood swings, but none of the benefits.

That said, it was totally assault, if you have to drop the weights to complete the rep, you're already maxing. So putting your foot on the bar and kicking down is adding weight, which could really mess someone up.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I've seen this video, and the guy who attacked the lifter is way out of line. Even if there is a policy against deadlifting, like Planet Fitness has, who made him the enforcer, and why would deadlifting justify violence?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Hang on some gyms have banned deadlifting?

why?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

In the U.S., "Planet Fitness" is a franchise gym that goes by the motto of "Judgment Free Zone". They have pizza and donuts at the gym sometimes, and you are not allowed to make noises, "flex" or do heavy lifting because it can intimidate other members...

Planet Fitness is like the "safe space" for people going to the gym, but their philosophy seems to be based more on comfort than it does on health or fitness...

There are plenty of gym goers who complain about this and rag on Planet Fitness for it
example

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It doesn't even look like roid rage but who knows. The guy could just be a douche and it sounds like he's got it coming. After they started exchanging words it got heated but I don't think it was roid rage to begin with. Who knows.

This is assault and could have caused serious, life-long injury. The douche should build his own gym in his home if he does not like people.
edit on 23-8-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

No squat rack either, no ground work, no dead-lift, pizza and doughnuts outside.... sounds more like a "come hear to feel better fatty" kinda place not a gym.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Poor kid.
As soon as that clowns hand would of made contact with me, his wrist would be broken..right off.
POS loser.
I hope he stubs his right toe on a bar.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

saw the clips a few days back. Seems like some self righteous gym-buddy took it upon himself to be a jerk. The kid doing deadlifts wasn't hurting anyone.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

edit on 23-8-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Controlling the descent of weights is as much part of the exercise as lifting them in the first place.
edit on 23-8-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
And this is why I don’t use public gyms, they’res always gonna be one of these idiots that doesn’t know anything but 0-120 in no time flat. If someone kicked down a bar like that on me while I was lifting dude would have had a plate merge with his skull. I don’t care what a person is doing in a gym that offends your sensibilities but to get onto that bad and then do something that is very dangerous to try to make their point, that dude needs a serious attitude adjustment. I take it he hasn’t gotten a good ole fashioned down home arse whooping in too long. He’s the type that throws around his weight and intimidates with his size but I bet when it comes down to fighting the guy is all show. There’s absolutely no excuse for this, unless dude sexually assaulted your girl off camera dude was in the wrong all the way.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Funny that about Planet Fitness in the US.

Yeah they are all about no noises or "lunks" (a term they coined), and being a "judgement-free" gym.
No body fascism or making anyone feel less fit or less welcome than another member.

That is, until this dude took their "no judgement" zone message too literally, and he pitched for a yoga class naked.
I mean nude yoga has a distinguished tradition, and he may have been new in town, and seriously took the slogan literally.

But clearly they judged him, because he got arrested, and now faces prosecution!
abc7.com...

I mean if you say "judgement-free", at least include in parenthesis: "(except naked people outside the locker-room)".

I think Planet Fitness should pay his legal costs, because their slogan may have seriously led him to make an honest faux pas.

This could have happened to me in unintentional error, Planet Fitness!

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Pitiful technique on the D lift.
but not what I would call excessive dropping of the weight?
Any use of straps for less than 101% of your max is like wearing a belt below 80% of your max.(counter productive)
I spent 30 years in the gym , 25 years competitively 17 years as a top highland athlete, 3 years U.S representative to the WSM contest, I have never seen or heard of someone stomping the weights out of someone's hands...lol...wtf
I have been out of the loop long enough to of never been to a planet fitness...no ground work...wtf....no squat rack?
end time are nigh....lmao

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Knapperdude
Pitiful technique on the D lift.
but not what I would call excessive dropping of the weight?
Any use of straps for less than 101% of your max is like wearing a belt below 80% of your max.(counter productive)
I spent 30 years in the gym , 25 years competitively 17 years as a top highland athlete, 3 years U.S representative to the WSM contest, I have never seen or heard of someone stomping the weights out of someone's hands...lol...wtf
I have been out of the loop long enough to of never been to a planet fitness...no ground work...wtf....no squat rack?
end time are nigh....lmao

I don’t think it’s excessive dropping at all especially with having those mats down, the drops were mild.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

That...and he was only using low back with a smidge of legs every other rep....kudos to the kid for doing deads anyway...especially if it's a "banned" lift nowadays ?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Oh, brother. I grunt trying to lift our cat- because I've got a bad back. If I had to go to one of these places to try to get strengthened... it wouldn't be Planet Fitness. That's BS.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thank heavens, the only tiff I got in today was with my trainer over slippery wooden floors.
I know I mustn't complain or give lip already - he claims to think for everybody.

But doing push-ups on the floor (like a wooden circle in the center of the circuit machines).
That's the ending of the session - some old school stuff after all the weights.

I want to reposition my hands because my palms are sweaty doing push-ups.
He says no, stop looking for excuses, move!
I say the gym has a big sign in the dance/studio section (I usually warm up there when it's empty), and it says caution, the floors become slippery - we are working on the issue. Then he says yeah it's in the studio. So I says, yeah but the same floor as here. So he says have you seen what they do in that studio (yeah I did, and it ain't no push-ups). Then I say, well look if my hands slip and I fall on my face and I knock my teeth out, I know where to send the bill. Then he was quiet. And so was I, because I still had to do the push-ups, and got extra for my efforts.

Oh Lordy, when will I ever learn to keep my trap shut?

I mean not saying I don't make massive mistakes, but often when I do there's already an error in the system.
I don't go out of my way anymore to be rebellious or a smart-ass.
I respect my teachers.
Funny, in other circumstances I would be the "teacher" - but time for me to learn something completely new.
But when I have something to say, they should usually listen too.
I don't land myself in trouble for the fun of it.
It's not fun at all - it's great stress.
Not if it's serious, but it's OK with a bit of humor attached.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join