It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Energy suing over the use of Monster in a name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So I am friends with a group here in AZ that host an event called Mad Monster Party

They are now being sued my Monster Energy Inc over the use of Monster in their name. Monster Energy is asserting that because they have Monster in their name people will show up assuming there will be Monster Energy at the event.

Sorry, there is no link because the media really doesn't care about crap like this.

The ower of the even published this photo to his FB Here is a link to the FB post and the story behind it

This will probably get thrown out in court but how much of a bully can you be that you are trying to own the word Monster.

I can understand suing over the use of Yahoo or Google because these are proper nouns and not in the dictionary. What does ATS think?

Looks like im not buying Monster anymore. I know this isnt the first time they have done this so Ill stick with Rockstar from now on.
edit on 23-8-2018 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2018 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Best yet, don't drink that poison at all. What a nonsense lawsuit though, obviously hoping he will back down.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It is pretty typical large corporate bullying by complicit intellectual property attorneys. In fairness, there are a lot of shady companies that attempt to leech off another company's brand equity. That doesn't appear to be the case in your example, but that is why big companies are fiercely protective of their names and anything remotely related.

A famous case of intellectually property bullying is Nissan Motors (Car Company) vs Nissan Computer. In summary, a guy (Uzi Nissan) had a small computer company called Nissan Computer long before Nissan as a car company even existed. However, Nissan Motors basically drove the guy broke in court over intellectual property lawsuits. However, he eventually won.

Uzi Nissan Vs Nissan Motors

You see this too in entertainment. Many artist eventually change their names because some other unknown artist may have a claim to that name officially. Rapper Common Sense only goes by Common now because he got sued by some unknown reggae group who also used Common Sense.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
ALL CAPS...F 2 THE U TO THE C TO THE K...monster.
I wouldn't drink that donkey piss if you paid me.
Now even more so.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Mad Monster Party?

Watch this noise:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You think that's bad?

I used to play the old MMORPG City of Heroes, and there was a player in that game who made a character they named Hannah Montana ... yeah, exactly the same spelling and everything.

Well, even though City of Heroes wasn't exactly a huge thing; somehow, Disney found out about this one, single player avatar running around and sued over it. Seriously!

Kicker is that Hannah Montana won because the player could prove that they had created the character *before* Disney had begun their show and technically all the created avatars were intellectual property of the game company who ran the game.

Disney quietly dropped their suit and Hannah Montana was allowed to survive and fight crime, but yes, my point is that these major companies can be a-holes over these things.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I wonder if they'll show up at my house if I tweet "I just took a Monster Sh!t"®

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Perhaps The Sharper Image should sue The Home Depot for having "The" in their name.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Perhaps The Sharper Image should sue The Home Depot for having "The" in their name.

And then Home Depot and Office Depot can square off in a no holds barred cage match.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Just point out that they are the one's by there own argument whom are in breach of copyright, not your friend's.

The use of the name monster is extremely common from stage to radio to product's, I vaguely recall a cleaning product by the name as well and all very long before some prick decided to call a drink which makes youth's antisocial around the world even got the idea to call there own product by that name.
For many decades over here in the UK and probably over there as well and indeed long before they used the name we had monster munch wheat snack's, like cheese puff's but shaped like animal paw's.
I seem to remember the word also used in the name of a defunct breakfast cereal.
And god only know's how many book's have included it in there title.

What they are essentially doing is attempting to copyright the English language and lay claim to ownership of something they did not create.

Now if you were making an energy drink and copying there logo then maybe.

Best practice publicize this threat and post the letter as you have here on as many sites as you can, you may even get them to fire the guy responsible for bringing bad reputation to there company by his spurious threats.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Warner Brothers tried suing the Marx brothers for their film, "A Night In Casablanca", after the Warner Brothers film, "Casablanca".

The Marx brothers counter-sued Warner Brothers for the term, "Brothers".

Warner Brothers dropped their suit.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Interesting to see monster do have a well funded legal department. Pity they cannot find any thing better to do with there time.

Nationalism gone too far don't look good, like Venezuela with its energy policy. Capitalism gone too far don't look good with issues like this. The US legal system does have some issues, his issue with Monsanto is one. It is bigger than one man getting the jackpot. But I am sure appeals are on their way and another ten years of bla, bla, bla.

join