It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for you older folks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I have NO problem with someone visiting and having a projectile. But for him to leave it and forget about it becomes a problem.

A projectile....

I thought you said it was a Ruger.

Is that not a projectile?

A pistol is not a projectile. The bullets are though and some of those projectiles can blow a big hole in someone if they aren't careful.

Was the gun loaded? With projectiles?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

My grandfather left his Ruger at my house last night. He is retired Air Force and is not stupid by any means. I let him use my house if needed over the weekend while I was gone. He stopped by one time and left it here. Which is fine if he had realized it.... He didn’t and that is what concerns me.

How do I bring this up to him? I don’t want to say he shouldn’t carry anymore but also I don’t want to say your too old to be doing this. I really don’t know what to do or say

If he is anything like my grand father you should tell him he forgot the gun and he will know what to do, don't think because he may be old he is not aware of a mistake like that and what it could cost

My grand father was a soldier too, he always had a gun next to him and one day he fired by mistake, my uncle came by and said dad you can't have that gun here you are going to hit one of the kids if this happens again. He gave them all up and never had another one, he teached my cousin how to clean and keep the guns and he never ever fired one again or asked for it

They may be old, they also were soldiers and know what a mistake can cost, a life for example. They have training and are not stupid, just be direct and clear on why things have to change for the better, he will be aware already but if you say it directly he will act

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

People misplace and forget things all the time, no big deal. Just give it to him next time you see him then again, you could wait and see if he brings it up.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

My grandfather left his Ruger at my house last night. He is retired Air Force and is not stupid by any means. I let him use my house if needed over the weekend while I was gone. He stopped by one time and left it here. Which is fine if he had realized it.... He didn’t and that is what concerns me.

How do I bring this up to him? I don’t want to say he shouldn’t carry anymore but also I don’t want to say your too old to be doing this. I really don’t know what to do or say

You might like to consider saying something like; Hi; I found this at my place today. Then just give it back to him and let him ponder on his mental health situation. You do not need to say anything further.

If you chide him, or embarrass, instruct him etc then he might find that humiliating and embarrassing. I've heard it said many years ago, that a person will walk to the ends of the earth for you if you allow them to keep their pride.

The opposite is also true. take away a persons pride and you take away their soul.

besta luck

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

My thoughts only. Grandpa may have thought, through his love for you that you may need it. Depending on what year/model he may wanted you to say 'thank you', protect yourself and family as I have no need for it anymore.

Sounds like a fine man to me for a grandpa.

But, in saying that, by all means, contact him, ask him about the Ruger and what he wants done with it. If he says "it's for you;" Say thanks.

If he says "Oh I forgot." (Then you know). But say, "Is alright Grandpa, I'll take care of it and will bring it back directly." You seem to have great respect for your grandad. Maintain that regards.

Kind regards and respect for grandad,

bally

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Take it to a gunsmith, have it cleaned up, and acquire some new scales with some nice engravings and "Best Dad Ever", then present it to him gift wrapped.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
You should...
. .
... what were we talking about?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Geeze what's the big deal,obviously being in military has an idea of gun handling,and people forget young and old,why not tell him

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I don’t want to offend him by saying maybe he is of the age and mentality to not be holding. If he forgot he left it then he shouldn’t have it.

It’s simple as that bro. Kinda like knowing ones limitations. I just really don’t want to bring this up in a fashion that will offend him. Advice is what I asked for not criticizing thoughts.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
He probably does not realize he left it there. He has probably been searching his car over and over and looking all over the house. You should call him right away. You do not have to be old to have that happen. Some days everyone gets brain farts. I used to hate searching for keys for hours, I now always keep them in my pocket, learning over the years not to put them on the counters.

My wife still has not learned to put the keys into her purse instead of sticking them on the table or counter. You would think that she would know better already being sixty five years old. She has improved with not losing her keys a little over the thirty three years we have been married. My daughters are in their thirties and are lousy about that kind of stuff.

edit on 23-8-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
My dad was in law enforcement, and one day I borrowed the car, and after driving for 20 minutes, i looked down, and his .25 cal was stuck down between the seats. I honestly think people that carry guns get too comfortable with them sometimes. Seriously, If I had gotten pulled over...
edit on 23-8-2018 by acackohfcc because: synatx

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Should I bring this up as a hey you forgot this or hey shouldn’t have left this? Sorry for bringing this up to you guys but my grandparents and parents never gave much advice as I got older. This kinda thing is new to me.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

I always drive with mine strapped to my seat. Also no one ever drives my car...period. The last thing I need is a call from a friend asking about my gun.

Funny though that you say that. I stole my dads truck to go to a party and when I arrived we found the .22 and spent all the ammo, then I was grounded........

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: WeRpeons

Half of us "old folk" grew up with guns all over the place. We were taught to respect them at a very early age, and how to use them.

And we're still here? Yes, indeed we made it.[/quote

Tell that to the 13 year old girl, who was shot and killed by her 9 year old brother, over a video game controller, because his parents taught him to "respect" guns at an early age

A 13-year-old girl has died after authorities say she was shot Saturday by her 9-year-old brother, local media reported.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Say " Hey Gramps? How many rounds does this Ruger hold anyway?!??"

He prob will grab his waistband and go "Oh Crap!!!"
edit on 23-8-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

He may have forgotten it but once he snapped and remembered figured it was safe at your house so he will just pick it up next time he comes around, or he could have left it on purpose since you live nearby a gun range. Either way just ask him next time you speak. Just because he's older doesn't mean he has dementia. It could have been more trouble than it was worth to turn around to come back and get it.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I called him and told him about it. He honestly just forgot he even brought it. I told him I’ll clean it and asked if he minded if I took it to the range. He happily said yes, and now I have a day to chill with my pops. Seems like a win to me.

Thank you everyone for your input

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I called him and told him about it. He honestly just forgot he even brought it. I told him I’ll clean it and asked if he minded if I took it to the range. He happily said yes, and now I have a day to chill with my pops. Seems like a win to me.

Thank you everyone for your input

Well, I'm glad it resolved.

I was going to say that you ought to have an inkling if there are other signs that there might be a real mental health problem going on beyond just having forgotten something.

I mean, I carry my car keys and bank card together all the time, and I still occasionally have been known to absent-mindedly leave them lying somewhere (like in the car with doors locked). They're very important so it's very rare, but just because I've done so a handful of times over the years doesn't mean I'm suffering sudden early-onset Alzheimer's.

So you needed to ask yourself if you really think he's having that issue or if you're just worried because of his age.

Honestly, every time my dad calls me by my sister's name, I wonder the same thing, but he's been doing it all our lives.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You're making a bunch out of nothing...I'll bet your grandfather doesn't carry his gun with him much...And he knows subconsciously where it sets in his home...More than likely if you called him right now and ask where his gun is, he'd go right to where he normally keeps it...

Apparently he brought the gun to your house for safety's sake and set it somewhere...You don't have to be an old guy to forget something at someone's house...No different than leaving a set of keys to the shed...

If he was a concealed carry type of guy, I'd guess he'd miss it right away...

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Should I bring this up as a hey you forgot this or hey shouldn’t have left this? Sorry for bringing this up to you guys but my grandparents and parents never gave much advice as I got older. This kinda thing is new to me.

Just give him a call and say you left your gun here. He'll either come back to get it or you will bring it to him. Either way he gets to visit with you another time. Are you sure he purposely did not leave it there so he would have an excuse to come visit again?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join