It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for you older folks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
My grandfather left his Ruger at my house last night. He is retired Air Force and is not stupid by any means. I let him use my house if needed over the weekend while I was gone. He stopped by one time and left it here. Which is fine if he had realized it.... He didn’t and that is what concerns me.

How do I bring this up to him? I don’t want to say he shouldn’t carry anymore but also I don’t want to say your too old to be doing this. I really don’t know what to do or say

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Just be honest.

"You left your gun here, Pops."

*boom*

Done.

Some things don't need to be complicated.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Just say hey grandpa did you mean to leave your gun at my house? I was straightening up around the house and found it on the table, or wherever you found it. He might surprise you and say, I know, I wanted you to have it and then either say thanks if you want it, or no thanks but I appreciate the thought. This is not a rocket science question. Best to be direct and to the point.

edit on 8/22/2018 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Your correct that some things don’t need to be complicated. I have never been handed such a situation though. Remember I am young and this is all new to me. But thanks for the advice from you and manta78.... These suggestions actually will help. Thank you

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I'm agreeing with both the Cowboy and Manta, except I think it's more important. I mean, "Grandpa, I think you should just leave your gun here all the time. What if you forgot and left it somewhere while you were doing your rounds around town? It's an important thing."

If you don't shoot and want to learn, this is a good segue for Grandpa to teach you. If you shoot and like Ruger, maybe you could go out and nail a few targets, just the two of you. Have some fun, let him see you happy with it in your hands. It can be a heritage thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Perhaps he meant to leave it for you, which is what I would ask.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It doesn't sound like you have children running around your house. If you did, Gramp's negligence would be a deadly accident waiting to happen. I would definitely bring it to his attention and mention it could be extremely dangerous if he left his gun in a house where there are children.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Give it back and tell him, 'Yo, Biggie Grand Pops, you can't bust a cap in a gangsta's ass if you ain't holdin', Yo!

edit on 22-8-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Half of us "old folk" grew up with guns all over the place. We were taught to respect them at a very early age, and how to use them.

And we're still here? Yes, indeed we made it.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Don't say anything. Don't even mention it the next time you see him. If he remembers and confronts you about it, give it to him. Simple!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I agree with the above posters.
But a couple questions:
How long ago was this?
Has he mentioned he is looking for it, to you or others?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Having gone through this a few times, here's what I do.

First, be as respectful and helpful as possible. Old age is going to get us all, if we're lucky. Even the wisest and strongest will become weak and feeble. Consider how you would want to be treated when you get there.

If you have genuine concerns, express them. But if they are of sound mind let them continue to make their own decisions. It's okay to remind them when they are forgetful. It's okay to point out that their driving is getting worse, or that they shouldn't be over-exerting themselves. But you don't need a sledgehammer to drive a thumbtack. Little reminders and lots of love will do the trick.

Just help them be as independent as possible. Sometimes that may involve risks, but from what I've seen, an early death is better than a prolonged death in a nursing home.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

too little information provided

is this " ruger " - his only carry firearm ???

you say - he has access to your house - and is free to use it at his convenience - how much other stuff has he got at your house ????

you say he has not reaklised - how do you know ?? - could he have decided that he wants a weapon in your house ????

like i say - too little information and context

but if you are angling this at his mental competance - there MUST be other signs

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Sell it. Buy yourself something pretty.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Don't say anything. If he can't remember where he left it, then he shouldn't have it.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

too little information provided

is this " ruger " - his only carry firearm ???

you say - he has access to your house - and is free to use it at his convenience - how much other stuff has he got at your house ????

you say he has not reaklised - how do you know ?? - could he have decided that he wants a weapon in your house ????

like i say - too little information and context

but if you are angling this at his mental competance - there MUST be other signs

He only had access to my home for the weekend as did my pet sitter.

He randomly left his side arm at my place. I live next to a range, so I assume he wanted to go shooting at some point.

I have NO problem with someone visiting and having a projectile. But for him to leave it and forget about it becomes a problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I have NO problem with someone visiting and having a projectile. But for him to leave it and forget about it becomes a problem.

A projectile....

I thought you said it was a Ruger.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just be honest.

"You left your gun here, Pops."

*boom*

Done.

Some things don't need to be complicated.

maybe forget the *boom* part. lol

sell it, get a new camera

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

A projectile....

I thought you said it was a Ruger.

Is that not a projectile?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Depends Im running to stuff like that with my Mom, I sometimes think there isnt any reason to remark on any of their episodes my Mom can turn it into more than it is anyway. I keep a good eye on her but find no reason to point out stuff unless its potential harmful. As for your situation wrap it up stick it in a box and if he ask you say ohh I forgot I found this here. they know they are getting older and no need to add to that stress on every incident, I find myself telling her stuff I forget just so she knows its normal. Ofcourse a grandson and grandfathers dynamics could be different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join