It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop demonstrates 100Gbps transmission for airborne sensors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I don't think this will be for internet.

Plus they are getting close to technology for lasers to transmit petabytes across backbones.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

The difference between this and ANY unmanned system is huge. No system currently in operation can send large amounts of data directly to the people that need it. They have to go through an intermediary system that filters the data and then relays to the people that need it. In some cases they can't get the data they need until the system returns somewhere.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: toysforadults

I don't think this will be for internet.

Plus they are getting close to technology for lasers to transmit petabytes across backbones.

Source??

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
At 100Gb/s a sec its a bit of the usual number meeting sort of thing, and if you are providing data a that speed imagine the speed of whats got to sort it out and pass it on especially if there are multiple planes around and at that sort of thing its going to become 'fun'.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

There's still a long way to go, but it's certainly going to be interesting to watch this system evolve.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Maxatoria

There's still a long way to go, but it's certainly going to be interesting to watch this system evolve.

Good to know the IEE802.3 aint reaching max but I guess the size of the pay equals the size of the advancement.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

www.tek.com...

At IRCICA, The Institute for Research on Software Components and Materials for Advanced Information and Communication,a joint research unit of CNRS and the University of Lille, Laurent Bigot and Espen Anderston are working on multimode optical fibers, fibers which, incredibly, have seven cores instead of one and which have the potential to transmit seven times the data within the same cable space.

"With our solution, we expect to reach the petabit per second capacity," says Bigot. "But more than this, I hope that we will also be able to propose some future technology solutions that can save energy, reaching the same level of capacity at a lower cost for the environment."

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Oh and a fiber cable was laid with a 160 Tb/s capability recently.

www.theverge.com...

Microsoft, Facebook, and the telecoms infrastructure company Telxius have announced the completion of the highest capacity subsea cable to ever cross the Atlantic Ocean. The cable is capable of transmitting 160 terabits of data per second, the equivalent of streaming 71 million HD videos at the same time, and 16 million times faster than an average home internet connection, Microsoft claims. The cable will be operational by early 2018.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Which is utterly useless for what they're doing with this.
edit on 8/23/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh yes I know.

That was aimed more for toysforadults.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm sure they did research on laser communications between satellites and aircraft. I remember seeing a program on TV back in the 1980's, where the nose/tail of the aircraft had a pod with a what looked like a pair of binoculars that rotated sideways and tilted up/down, separated by a bit of metal. One had a dark black coating, the other was transparent.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Sheesh and here I was tickled pink to be able to saturate my cat6 Ethernet with my 1gig/dL newly upgraded our little town of 12k people fiber over copper cable modem! Seriously that is absurd bandwidth! If nothing else you could have several times more bandwidth and massive encryption protocols taking up the rest for very high security transmissions (like those that may say start a thermonuclear war). The mind boggles imagine the resources needed to just capture and record that saturated stream of data, not to mention trying to bust through the encryption brute force style. Imagine the kind of bandwidth they’re planning for the next drop down the “pipeline”.
edit on 8/24/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'd use it for C5ISR...you know if Northrop was into that sorta thing.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Much win there Bass.Be good if they could overhaul the whole Armed Services to use it..
Hope north end is agreeing to you mate

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join