It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it racist for the US to defend its border?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Simple question thread from a Brit after reading a thread where someone illegal was charged with murdering someone.
It is rare to see an 'illegal immigrant' criminal conviction story in the UK aside from smuggled Vietnamese people or whatever who get found tending to cannabis grows in a forced slavery live-in role.
The UK is massively more anti-immigrant than Trump yet doesn't have the same outraged national discussion. I know we're an island so its easier but the UK hasn't just sat back and trusted border control at Belgium or France, it actually controls the border on their side.
You have to get past a millions of GBP£'s UK funded fence and UK border guards in France to get on to the ferries or trains, and it is so difficult that thousands of people are camping there, refusing to claim asylum in France to get the help they need because if they do they can kiss goodbye to asylum in Britain.
They are in a safe country so the UK can legally kick them out if they have previously registered in such a safe country.

So ATS, why is everyone so bad-arsed grumpy with Trump? The UK is a fortress compared to you, and most people don't care.
There is no major campaign in the UK to loosen immigration controls, so as a bloke in my UK bubble I don't get the racist cries about building walls n stuff. The UK pays for the border security on the French side, millions on fences etc, the French hate the agreement now, but strange it's so quiet about our 'racist' policies compared to the US.

All thoughts welcome

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It's not racist per say, it's just that everyone has a different opinion on it.

Part of having a multicultural culture is that you have many different viewpoints.
Obviously not everyone hates Trump, The ones that do just seem louder.
There are quite a few that love him.

Some think the wall is a waste of money, many illegals simply flew over and overstayed their visas.
Some have been here for decades.
Other think a wall is just expensive and won't really stop the truly determined. Tunneling has been done for decades. There are portions of the wall that stop and you can go right around them.

Some believe that the best way to deter illegal immigration is to punishing the people that hire them a lot more severely (I'm in this camp) somehow this common sense practice is rarely done. As long as there are Americans that are paying illegals, there will be illegals coming over. If Americans truly feared hiring them, like massive fines, jail time, loss of livelihood it would stop. We all know why that wont happen and who really uses the illegal workforce. end of story!

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
No, it's not racist. People over here throw the racism card around so much that it is losing its meaning. Basically, people are starting to become numb when they hear it used as political rhetoric. Which happens quite a bit. It's sad.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Most of America supports a strong border, even Clinton and Obama! but the weaponized left wing media has their orders to oppose anything Trump supports. So now we're all racist and we have to pretend the left's icons never said those things.
edit on 22-8-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Because of feelings.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Because of feelings.

Luckily I don't have any.

Or a soul.

Or a conscience.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It’s pretty simple: It’s not racist unless it’s the loudest simple-minded people screaming to the sky about it.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Or a heart.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
in the usa raceist has a diferent meaning than the one your use to

see hear it means i disagree with you but i dont really know why

link   
If your political party wants more power and money, you call it racist so it can get more power and money.

If it doesn’t help or hurts a party’s political money or power three it’s not racist

It’s really that simple

link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
Or a heart.

That I have. It's just black and wicked.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
IT's not racist.

It's the go to defense of ignoring the law for political gain.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Its not really racist to defend your boarder. IF however you selectively stop people of certain ethnicity, then that boarders on racism (or is actually it). So I as an ostentatiously caucasion male, on a New Zealand Passport, can come and go as I will, while someone from South America or the Middle East might have an issue. Now that is just legal boarder crossing. Illegal? Different kettle of fish. I come from a nation where its very hard to sneak in illegally. Though overstaying after your visa runs out is a thing of course.

The rhetoric over the wall (I assume that is what you are talking about) has veered towards nationalism however.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies

I usually try to be a proactive guy in OP management, but I'm tired tonight and enjoying reading, so please do share your thoughts.
Oh, and another thought, the environment for an illegal worker in the UK is harsh as, proof is needed for anything through the books so most work under minimum wage cash in hand.

...for the record, the authorities are so on the case here for illegal workers I actually say good luck to anyone pulling it off and wouldn't grass someone to the authorities. But I support current rules kicking people out if they get caught, cat n mouse is all, and Britain is a way more nasty cat than Trump could get away with.
...but Britain gets away without people calling it racist?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Seriously... Its just a complicated hot button issue of the day, which has no real right or wrong, one way or the other... Its the perfect opportunity for both sides to gain a political advantage over their opponents by claiming they have the moral high ground.

But what would I know? Just carry on.

The right are all cold hearted bigots, worse than Hitler... The left wants to destroy western culture!

...blah, blah, blah.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I think the problem is that you put too much stock in what you read from people engaging in political trolling.

Offline, face to face you won't find many people who have that point of view. It seems that way due to the MSM and political pundits driving the narrative.

The level of hate and insanity you see in threads is not even remotely like the real US. We don't run around calling each other racists and in reality we get along just fine. The nuts at the protests and the like are a actually a tiny percentage of people.

What you are seeing is the political process in a free open society play out where the loudest, craziest voices get all the play.

If I were to base my opinion of where you are on just what I see online, I'd have a warped view of how it is there.

It's not racist in any way. It's just old fashioned common sense to want to vet strangers crossing our borders. It's also common sense to assume that some of those crossing the border are not coming here to work and have bad intentions.
edit on 8/22/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This misunderstanding of simple physics is sorely missed by both extremist sides. Our media nor education actually give many the facts.

Most misconstrue the ideology of 'a Melting Pot'. Our shores from the beginning was to meld the many into one. Unfortunately, many do not realize that in order to do so, one must introduce elements into a pot slowly and add specific amounts at appropriate times. Understanding that keeping an eye on the fire and temperature is a necessity to ensure all the different elements actually meld into one.

Right now America's melting pot has not been melding as originally planned. Sometimes this has been just due to uneducated individuals or saboteurs turning up/down the heat or trying to toss too much, too soon. A physicists isnt needed....Simply ask a baker what a disaster this would be?

The biggest pointer would follow onto Politics as a whole. For decades, our immigration has been tweaked. Ever since ww2 and America did not suffer as so many other countries.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

It's not racist, walls and borders do not descriminate.

On that note, barriers exist today which started in the 1920's (along with the southern border patrol) for obvious reasons.

Mg

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It isn’t. Just as Mexico lethally protects it’s Southern border and no one raises a stink. So it isn’t at all.

It’s called national security.

But for a country shredding itself over race and identity politics, it is the tempest in the teapot, or the proverbial falling sky

Here’s some tinder for the convo, call illegal immigration an “occupation”, -and now it’s game on for racism accusations. Ya know, because “occupation” is a dirty word for some reason.

Hmmmm.... can’t remember for the life of me why...

edit on 22-8-2018 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

You ,sir, are hilarious. Clinton and Obama support a strong border LOLOLOLOLOL. That is a good one. They may haves spoken those words when they are around certain company, but their actions say otherwise. But, hey, thanks for the laugh today.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join