It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scar of slavery on the American perspective.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Suprise suprise.. a conservative edits out a primary part of title..

ON THE AMERICAN PERSPECTIVE..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

But Americans did it the most recently ..

Roman slavery ended close to 2 thousand years ago..

American slavery ended less than 2 life times ago..

Plus segregation just ended less than 1 life time ago..

Anyone over 70 actually lives through it..

That is like the worst deflection ever..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

When did I say that?!?!

Please quote me..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Still hate the racist Democrats and heir plantation racism, or are you still voting democrat.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Why aren't you Condemning the Ancient Roman Empire ? White Slavery Started there and in the Middle East Way Before the Democratic Slave Owners of the Southern United States in the 19th Century . The Past Wounds of Slavery Will Never Heal , Hippocrates Much ?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

If you don’t care then why are you commenting?

I always wonder why people get so defensive about slavery; nobody is accusing any modern person of anything.

Why do some people identify with the slave owners, I don’t understand.

I like to identify with greats like John Brown or Fredrick Douglas

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Because I'm sort of tiring of hearing people whine, complain, and base excuses for personal failures on ancient history.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Because I'm sort of tiring of hearing people whine, complain, and base excuses for personal failures on ancient history.

Amen Brother ..........)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

What about the English, Dutch, Spanish and French slaves, nevermind the rest of the supposed civilized nations of the past? LoL

They did not end the practice 2000 years ago, they ended around the same time or a few centuries before the U.S decided to stop practicing slavery.

Truth is slavery has simply been replaced with indentured servitude which is what zero-hour contracts and minimum wages are all about in this day of age.
edit on 22-8-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This thread leads me to believe you never researched the Civil War as I had recommended to you in another thread...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

America was not the most recent. I was reading about a slave market in Libya last year. The Ottoman Empire kept slaves until WWI. I'm sure Wikipedia will tell you about slavery today.

I think people back then saw slavery differently then we do today. Before America, Europe had feudal society. The land owner killed who he wanted. Legal rights were only for nobles, not serfs. The boss had sex with whoever he wanted. Why do you think they all called him sire?

Life on a plantation was not that much different. There was a racial component. Before Africans, the first slaves were Irish and Indians. They switched to Africans because they thought the Irish were too lazy.

After slavery was ended, most of the slaves stayed on as sharecroppers. Again, not that much different.

I'm not saying anyone liked being a slave or wanted to be a slave. They didn't say, "When I grow up I want to be a slave." I'm saying people were more accepting of it as an economic system. It's just the way they lived. They participated in the economy, they didn't invent it out of pure evil because they liked to whip people. Sure there were abuses. It's just the way large farms were run like the manors that existed before in Europe. They enslaved the animals too. There were no machines like we have today.

I hope no one thinks I long for the day we can bring this back. I'm not saying it was great, they all had fun. I just think they had a different perspective than we do today.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
If you get upset about fictional discrimination I wonder how you would react the the real deal???

I'm not the one getting upset over fictional discrimination. It's 2018, get over it already.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

(Synopsis-the reason for the fear of violent slave uprisings, violent black uprisings and the continued racism is because white Americans know exactly how they would react if the roles were reversed)

“Any understanding or the American perspective must be rooted, and I do mean rooted in an understanding of the Civil War”

Shelby Foot -Civil War Historian

The evidence for the scar slavery has left on our society is painted across our entire country. It permeates every facet of our culture because it changes both the slave and master classes in ways that don’t change over night... or over the century.

There are bugs that inherently come with the feature that is slavery, and has for any culture who has ever practiced slavery to a significant degree.

All the “Great Slave Societies” carried these bugs so deeply they could easily be confused with features.

See if you only allow a tiny fraction of your society to be comprised of slaves they become extremely valuable oddities. There is no real need for overly brutal security. Only the wealthiest of the wealthy have enough money for a slave and those who do use them as status symbols. Quite often the slaves lot in life was far better than the free peasants of the area. Imagine how well some AKC championship quality dogs have things..

But the second you allow a significant enough percentage of the population to be enslaved that dynamic shifts. The higher the population of slaves rises the more brutality that is required to protect against violent uprisings and the more affordable/replaceable they become.

Just Look at Haiti or Sparta where they allowed the slave class to outnumber the master class 10-1. It requires a society BUILT around the feature of slavery to maintain security.

There is one bug from slavery that has been present in every major slave society in history. A PRIMAL fear of a violent slave uprising.

A fear of violent uprisings the ends up saturating every feature of that society and it is not an irrational fear.. It is a well founded fear because obviously people don’t like being enslaved..

If you scroll through history that fear saturated the politics of the time and still does.. even to this day you see people and politicians race bait a fear of violent black uprisings.

But along with that fear comes a bug that puts that fear on steroids..

The knowledge of how white Americans would react if the situation was reversed..

We know that if we had been enslaved/discriminated against that recently we wouldn’t turn the other cheek.. we wouldn’t forgive and forget and move on..

Just like in pre-civil war America they knew that if the roles were reversed and they had the option we would have slaughtered every man woman and child from whatever faction had us enslaved.

I think that is the real basis for the fear of violent uprisings and the accompanying racism...

We know exactly what we would do in that situation..

A few points, if you would be so kind as to indulge me...

1. If you quote a historian, the least you could do is spell his name correctly.

2. Is English your first language?

3. Punctuation, especially the ever-elusive comma, is your friend.

4. What's your point?

Just trying to help.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Not equally tough...

What would your reaction be to segregation and/or slavery???

Violence right??

You strike me as one of those “white Christian males are the most discriminated against group in America, even though they run everything” types..

If you get upset about fictional discrimination I wonder how you would react the the real deal???

Black people had a difficult time but things have improved for them over time and I expect that will continue. In some respects they are losing ground. Many live in single parent households now, far more than before the 60's.

If you ever lived in the south, you know there are many towns where blacks far outnumber whites. These areas are not better off than towns with a white majority. I don't think most black people want a violent uprising. Look at places it happened. They are s***holes like Haiti.

Even though blacks had problems over the years they are still better off then then would have been elsewhere. The Islamics imported huge numbers of slaves. Why are there very few blacks in Turkey today? Because they castrated them. Castrated then worked them to death. Their slaves only lasted a few years compared to American slaves.

The blacks flourished in America. Look at their numbers. Slaveholders encouraged them to have children. They were far better off here compared to slaves in other countries.

When US slavery ended, slavery was already on the way out. Recent inventions were making slaves as farm equipment obsolete. England ended it first, then America. We were not the last to have slaves we were among the first to end it. White England and America ended slavery around the world, except for the Islamics and isolated parts of Africa.

One last thing. Every time this subject comes up we hear white people run everything. Simply not true. Large portions of our economy are run by Jewish interests. They may look white but still identify as a distinct group. I am not trying to be antisemitic or promote any conspiracy, just state a fact. USA is not a white only monopoly.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The trope of fear the White men they will kill and oppress you is the main racial theme heard today.
I guess everyone can have a contest to see who White people did the most to.
Yay!
How productive.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I always wonder why people get so defensive about slavery; nobody is accusing any modern person of anything.

Why do some people identify with the slave owners, I don’t understand.

I like to identify with greats like John Brown or Fredrick Douglas

You might want to look in to what kind of deranged Mansonite John Brown actually was.
The first family he killed in Kansas didn't own slaves.
Guy had a messiah complex.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
where is your faux moral outrage at the slavery of the Spanish and everyone else? they not just treated their slaves far worse than the Americans (and even felt the Americans beneath them for coddling their slaves). but also did not end their slavery for years after the US ended slavery (not to mention had slavery long before in what became the US did). not only that, but they did not just import slaves (as well as export them), but enslaved whole countries.

but no all we ever hear about, and that includes from the UN, is about "black slavery", in the US. if anyone didn't know better they would have to think that the US was the only place in the world that ever had slaves. heck they don't even mention the FAR more recent case of the slavery in Germany during the Nazi regime. and i certainly don't see Jews and the many others of races the Germans enslaved (who treated their slaves far, far worse than slaves in the US were treated), constantly blaming the Germans for keeping them down, and being the cause of every problem they suffer. nor do you constantly hear calls, including from the UN to pay reparations, by people who had nothing to do with it, to people who had nothing to do with it.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Posted in wrong thread.

Apologies.

edit on 23-8-2018 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I watched a BBC documentary yesterday about how the Spanish went with their Bible and expected the Incas to bow down and convert....the leader of the Incas did not even know what a book was, had never seen one before, he dropped it on the floor. This was seen as a rejection of Christianity.
The Spanish were out numbered 400 to 1 but because the Incas had no weapons they were all killed except the leader,
The leader offered them a room full of gold and 2 rooms full of silver. It took 8 months to gather the ransom. Then the Spanish Christians told the leader that he had a choice...............convert to Christianity and be garroted, or be burned to death. He converted.

Would you rather be enslaved or die?

edit on 23-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Riiiiiiight.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join