It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Queen Not To Attend Charles' Wedding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is an alert for most of the members of this website but it appears HM Elizabeth II will not be attending the civil marriage between Charles, Prince of Wales ,her son , and Camilla Parker Bowles.

Yet another chapter in the soap opera that is the British royal family.

There have been some questions about whether the marriage would be legal as the law governing civil marriages explicitly excludes the royal family. In fact when Princess Anne took advice before her marriage to a divorcee she opted for a marriage in Scotland where the laws are different.

Now this Home Secretary and Attorney General have given the advice that the marriage would be legal but one wonders if the Queens decision isn't partly to do with the legality of the marriage rather than any other disaproval.

Perhaps she just didn't want to be photographed walking into Windsor Registry Office having cheap confetti thrown over her by the guests of marriage before her son's

We'll never know.

The Queen will be attending the "blessing" and I'm sure there'll be a reception where prawn vol au vents will be in abundance, Phillip will drink too much and do the funky chicken , Edward will be sick on someone shoes.

This alert is only a temporary one just because I know that ATSers like to know the gossip before everyone else.

On a personal note. I really couldn't care less.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 22-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Its not for us here in the states except for the gossip end of things. My question forthe British members of ATS. What are the implications? If she refuses to recognize the marrige does it jeapordize the sucsession line?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

What are the implications?

Who knows Fred, and really who cares? Most people in the UK don't give a toss about the Monarcy.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Most people in the UK don't give a toss about the Monarcy.

Not completely true, but it is a growing trend.
I think the best option is to cut the monarchy down to size.

A discussion on the Monarchy is here if anyone want to give their views

Thanks for the news John

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't think not attending means she doesn't recognize it. Infact, if its a legal marriage, the crown implicitly recognizes it no?

The issue is that the king is not supposed to be able to marry a divorcee, such as this woman. Apparently tho, they can, since there is no real opposition, but it looks like the queen, especially considering that she is the head of the anglican church and defender of the faith, is keeping up appearances by not attending.

In a sense she is maintaining a facade of the traditional system while not actually doing anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Good on ye Liz!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Not only do I think he can do a better job of being King,
he is a lot easier on the eyes!!!!

Now we will have to see "horse-face" and Charles all the time on the news.

Maybe this is just a plot to keep "Gannongate" out of the news!!!
hahaha

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Firstly, I'm not a big Royal watcher. The story is hard to avoid, though. The thing is, isn't Charles supposed to be "Defender of the Faith", ie. titular head of the C of E? Apart from the fact that he's admited to carrying on an adulterous affair with Camilla for many, many years (adluterous in that both parties were married to some one else), isn't Camilla a Roman Catholic? Where does this leave the Royal's now? Leapfrog ahead to William in the succession?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That's nice of his mother to not go to the wedding. Nothing like a good support system. charles was an ahole to diana, poor girl was starved of love and desire from that sob and his family, she thought her life was in danger because of him. Camilla looks very similar to diana, i'm sure though they will be happy together. I wonder if camilla and his mother don't get along... I can see how they could be difficult to get along with tho... oh well... c'est la vie sometimes.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
On a personal note. I really couldn't care less.

Right there with ya, Jb1, though my posting here may betray that sentiment

I wanted to see why the alert was on this, but I can see it is taken care of........

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The best thing the Royal Family could do for themselves is let William take the throne instead of Charles.

Then the Government should cancel all their public allowances and let them keep the vast wealth they have. Then it might resemble something worth keeping.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's a weird thing. Camilla is a Catholic girl, so if Rome gratns her an annulment, many of us "C of E's" might become 'instant catholics'! According to some of Cahrles public statements, he wouldn't be adverse to this. He has already said that the King of England has no business being the "Defender of the Faith".

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Queen denies 'snub' over wedding

The wedding is due to take place on 8 April in Windsor Guildhall
The Queen's decision not to attend the civil marriage ceremony of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles is not a snub, Buckingham Palace insists.

The Queen will attend the church blessing afterwards and is happy to host the reception, the palace said.

But she will not be a guest at the civil ceremony at the Guildhall in Windsor on 8 April.

A palace spokeswoman said the decision had been made because the royal couple "wanted to keep the occasion low key".

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by sensfan]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So it's finally happened. Signed, sealed, and delivered. I must say that I wish them the best. It was an interesting contrast to the 'fairybook' wedding. No wedding gown with 80 ft train, etc. I'm not sure that I really trust "fairytales".

top topics

join