It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are an Extinct Species! Earth is running out of the resources to sustain life Do you care.. Nope

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: Vroomfondel

That's just a lot of words vroom, I have friends in the energy industry who recon there is heaps of oil untapped, it's to keep the oil prices high
But that's only what I am told, i believe them over you, no offence. It's just I know them, don't know you

Water, that's a bit tricky, though desalination tech is getting better

I appreciate your opinion but I can assure you, your friends are incorrect.

I recently retired from a company in which I worked in R&D, specifically on pilot plants for refining oil into a multitude of useful products. My last project was working with 55 gallon drums of sludge so thick it would not flow as a liquid below 500F. No petro-chem refinery on earth would endure the expense and difficulty of extracting value from sludge like that unless it was absolutely necessary. With hundreds of ways to utilize light sweet crude there is no reason to bother with the stuff we disposed of as waste just a few years ago unless that light sweet crude was getting harder to find.

Its not about keeping prices up. The prices are all artificial, especially at the retail level. The prices you see at the pumps were contracts that were bid based on prices six months ago. When some rig somewhere explodes and the price at the pumps jump fifteen cents, that is nothing but good old American gouging. That rig being down won't affect local supplies for months, if ever. The only time is really has an affect is when the rig that blows is making one of the lesser demand summer blends or something like that. Not a lot of rigs run that blend so replacing the supply in time to meet the demand can sometimes be tricky. Summer blends, and individual state mandated pollution control blends are a crock. Why should Illinois have different gas than Indiana? The smog doesn't stop at the border, why should the gas?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It makes me do that 'chicken swallow' thing lol. It's not about us, it's about our kids and their kids. Looks bleak and a tough time for them.

At the same time we know how humanity has had times of serious trouble so it isn't going to be the first or last time. I *hope* it's not the 'last time.'

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Our kid's kids, mostly.

Still, my daughter is going to be feeling the effects.

She is.

Human nature seems to say, "wait until you have to do something" but there's a lot of inertia at play with the snowball that's rolling down the hill.

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Exactly. A lot of people see two decades away as something almost unfathomable. Might as well be a singularity to them. Tipping points for the climate are on the horizon as well as calorie deficits. 20 years might as well be tomorrow because it's coming fast.

...but yeah, forget about it. Don't touch my taxes. Earth will be fine. That's the popular refrain.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Exactly. A lot of people see two decades away as something almost unfathomable. Might as well be a singularity to them. Tipping points for the climate are on the horizon as well as calorie deficits. 20 years might as well be tomorrow because it's coming fast.

...but yeah, forget about it. Don't touch my taxes. Earth will be fine. That's the popular refrain.

That's funny, two decades ago we were going to lose a few pacific islands and have to redraw the global maple due to rising sea levels, not to mention the fact we would run out of oil

There is no doubt we need to change, it just seems all this fearmongering seems a little ho hum

20 years ago is now today, ice caps melting, didn't

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
You seem to be confusing the concept of "peak oil" with running out of oil.

You also seem to not understand that the ice caps are melting.
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Thanks vroom, can't argue with you, I hear so many different things from so many different sources my head spins
As I said " I have friends who recon" as for me, I don't know
I sometimes don't know what to believe anymore

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

You seem more confused
The ice caps melt in summer and unsurprisingly refreeze in winter, north and south, staggering but that's the way it works
Besides, I know the weather has changed, ice caps melt, I just noted that the sea level hasn't changed, well not along my coastline in my lifetime

Do you know how much more volume ice has to water?

Peak oil? do you know? have we reached peak oil? are you going to tell me if we have used half of the worlds oil resources, a tenth, 80%, seven 8th of the worlds oil resources?

I don't know how much oil there is, how would I know if we are running out of oil or we have used half of it
I once read here on ats I think that there is more oil in Alaska than in the Middle East, may be true, may be a lie
Do you know how much oil there is in the ground

You don't have to be clever to understand or know that
edit on 22-8-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I know common sense
I know that there are about 27 million people living in the city of Beijing and about 24 million people living in all Australia
Overpopulated, I don't think so, as for your experts, I think they have an agenda

Food, the west throws out more food in a week than some people in third world countries eat in a week

If you are really interested, search the " overpopulation myth"
www.pop.org...
edit on 22-8-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

The ice caps melt in summer

How much do they melt in summer?

have we reached peak oil?
No.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The ice caps melt in summer

How much do they melt in summer?

have we reached peak oil?
No.

The ice caps all melt 23.8% exactly, no more no less, heat, winds and water temperatures don't effect the ice, it's all plastic now

Not peak oil yet, Really Phage, how do you know how much oil we have used, how do you know how much is in the ground?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

The ice caps all melt 23.8% exactly, no more no less, heat, winds and water temperatures don't effect the ice, it's all plastic now

www.theguardian.com...

Not peak oil yet, Really Phage, how do you know how much oil we have used, how do you know how much is in the ground?
Yes, not peak oil. Have you seen the oil production statistics lately? When did they top out?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Lots of room and food for lots more people just people need to live within their means. If you have limited food don't have 10 kids it's that simple really. Water is getting better but it's being used by certain people to control people. Just like food if you don't have enough don't breed. I live on Lake Michigan so lots of water outside my door. I also have a well that can get me plenty.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Oil, will ground extractable reserves last beyond 2150?

Doubt.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist
Yes.

Will it be profitable? There's the rub.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Speaking of Extinct, Phage I understand you have a big storm headed your way. Everything tied down and ready? Take care and hold on.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Pretty much. Old house, for Hawaii.

We'll see what happens.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Whats the timing I haven't really looked it up too much other than hearing where it's headed.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

originally posted by: DJMSN

The greatest threat to humanity is not our depletion of oil or any other thousand million resources we could list. The greatest threat to humanity is humanity...PERIOD.

edit on 22-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I stopped believing what the media said years ago, probably when I saw a polar bear standing on a small ice berg and the paper telling me a fake story about it

As for peak oil, as I stated over and over again, I havnt a clue, don't really care
Just noted that peak oil was an issue in the 70s, nearly 50 years latter.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join