It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are an Extinct Species! Earth is running out of the resources to sustain life Do you care.. Nope

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
we are not 'extinct'; we might be considered endangered.

as mentioned, things like soil and water and trees may be managed.

what does worry me is minerals. we are constantly mining silver, gold, iron, copper etc. they can be recycled to some extent but 1) we are wasting tons of it (literally) and 2) the Earth only has a finite supply of those.

same with fossil fuels. I'm glad we're still finding oil and coal but no rational person thinks the supply is inexhaustible.

okay so we have 500 years worth in the ground. then what? and 500 years might be optimistic.

I would like to see better management. I'm no 'greenie' but recycling can be very helpful.

and I would love to see fewer impoverished families with ten kids, most of whom themselves will grow up in poverty and have ten kids of their own. how many people can Pakistan and India support? aren't they short on water and going hungry now?

Last I heard, you can't eat any of those resources.

What needs to be looked at is what it would take to sustain a human population of 7 billion .

Just food and water.

Too many people have come to rely on conveniences of human society, not natural resources.

When is the last time any of you have killed and foraged for food ?

That should give you a clue as to how long we have on this planet.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: UndeadWarrior
a reply to: Raggedyman

What happens to resources...we mine them, we cut trees, we level entire forests, etc...interesting to see that you mention evaporation, because water is the one resource I don't see us running out of...because it doesn't "disappear"...it'll all come back in some shape or form..

So minerals evaporate, trees don't grow?
Humanity can farm, make the profits larger and watch what happens

I remember in the 70s and peak oil, what a joke that was, that resource hasn't got a peak according to some
Trees, they grow, minerals, recycle, they are already mining the rubbish tips for minerals and energy

Fishing has got pretty bad, sadly

Peak oil is not a joke. We are fighting a battle with depletion and depletion is winning. It can't lose. Peak oil is simply the point at which the maximum extraction rate is reached. It has no direct bearing on how much is left. It only indicates that the rate of extraction will begin to decline and continue until it ends. Why do you think no one bothered with ways to squeeze value out of the sludge that we previously disposed of as waste? Why do you think no one bothered to extract oil from shale before now? Mankind has only had the benefit of fossil fuels for about 150 years. We are burning through it at an astonishing rate and when its gone - its gone.

There is, however, another resource that poses a much greater threat to our welfare than oil. It is water. Fresh drinking water will be the most valuable commodity on Earth when it gets scarce. We have lived without fossil fuels before but we have never lived without water. And we never will.
edit on 21-8-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: stormcell

Its the lack of viable soil that will get us, neck and neck with viable water.

Its not how much land to people ratio that counts, but what it requires to market staples globally to an overly inflated population of non producers, driven by the greed of globalist driven corporations.

9 years, that how much soil we have left in many estimations, that same soil is so depleted, the food grown in it, is sorely nutrient deficient.

It's thought that the loss of carbon in the soil led to the downfall of Aztec civilisation. Perhaps they gathered all the deadwood off the ground before it could decompose. Allotment gardeners know that you can revitalize soil by adding ground up rock dust (mineral elements?) to the soil to boost growth.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The greatest threat to humanity is not our depletion of oil or any other thousand million resources we could list. The greatest threat to humanity is humanity...PERIOD.

We as in humanity will be long gone before the resources are depleted, the only question we need answer is, will humanities end come as a result of lack of resources or as a result of our depletion of one another.
edit on 8/21/2018 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

yes, my family poly- perma culture farms...we are moving bsck to th national forests and glacial rivers.

doom approaches, but nobody listens

its not Al Gores version, but #, I dont care, people that dont already know better, dont have the capacity
edit on 21-8-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

That's just a lot of words vroom, I have friends in the energy industry who recon there is heaps of oil untapped, it's to keep the oil prices high
But that's only what I am told, i believe them over you, no offence. It's just I know them, don't know you

Water, that's a bit tricky, though desalination tech is getting better

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: UndeadWarrior

My point is that the whole poppulation of earth could live comfortably on the Island of Tasmania and have plenty of room.
The earth is not overpopulated, it's financially unbalanced
The top 1% own 90+% of the worlds wealth

It's not overpopulation, it's greed

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The plastics in the water and food chain will determine the fate of mankind.

The plastics now in the food chain is worldwide and govts are allowing whiskey to be bottled in plastics, which I am totally against due the to the heat factor in all countries, but hey, lets live today and the hell with tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

if you brought everyone in the world together and placed them in the State of Texas, there would be 1.5 feet radius of space around each person

This is so stupid I'm sick of hearing it. If you jammed everyone in Texas, everyone would be dead in a few weeks. It takes a large amount of land to feed, house, transport and employ people Most of the undeveloped land is desert, like west Texas, or mountains or covered with snow.

So , you are sick of truth and facts in respect to overpopulation ?
What makes one that way ?
Their beliefs are more important than facts ?
You know those figures are relative in respect to population and the land mass of the Earth . I hope (though I expect otherwise)
Isnt it wonderful that the Earth has all that unused land ?

edit on 8/21/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hey you're right I don't care that much.

Anyway to make this go faster?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

edit on 8/21/18 by Gothmog because: Why did it post twice ?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hi every one thank you for all the comments !

The thing that gets me is that as an entire species the way the entire structure of living & life is one of consumption without regard to environment or other Species and without a regard for the resources economics.

Without a fundamental shift in the mentality of consumption and resource economics were on the fast track to destroying the natural balance of all the systems on the entire planet Sure you say not my problem ...and im just as guilty of not being more caring about this... But in time it will eventually come round to bite us in the behind by then the realization will be to late.

As it stands the planet earth is our only home and there is NO where else to go ... we've evolved/grown/ been created into being part of it part of an living system that we are not respecting.

Look at passive Geo thermal as a resource we aren't taking full advantage of....
edit on 21-8-2018 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So he said our grand kids grand kids, around 100 years then.

We will find new resources in space or make resources from thin air with future technology.

Plus I will be dead, unless I live to get futuristic life extending medicine.

In less the 100 years we (humanity) will be able to control weather most likely.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

You are an alarmist. I just saw a movie where there was an entire culture of ancient humans living on one of saturn's moons.
This one guy from Titan came down to earth and solved all of earths problems with a snap of his fingers.

Reality- Due to China's one child law and the slowing down of large families since WW2 in European based (including the USA and Australia) nations. We globally are expected to see a major loss in population over the next 50 years.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Overpopulation, seriously, are you that ignorant

Seriously ? Do you think you know more than all of the worlds experts combined? To call others ignorant is ignorance at its lowest.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

I don't worry because I don't believe that humans have the ability to destroy the earth.

We have the ability to easily kill off the human species.

We have the ability to kill of all the life on the earths surface and even in most of the ocean.

We do no have the ability short of blowing up the planet , to kill off all life in the deepest parts of the ocean. Parts of the ocean that we can't even reach. Parts of the ocean that has life forms thriving around super heated vents.

There is life on this planet that is so deep down in caves that even setting off every nuke we have all at the same time, the radiation still wouldn't reach them.

We have life on this planet that thrives in pools of sulfuric acid.

In order to destroy all life on earth you would literally have to do just that. Destroy ALL life.
If any life survives it will eventually grow and cover the earth once more evolving into other forms of life.
It has happened many many times.

We are killing humans and other life forms on earth in alarming rates and something should be done about it for sure.
One of the reasons people don't take this seriously is because of what I said above. So stop screaming that it is the end of the world and focus more on the harm that humans are doing to other humans.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The world isn't overpopulated, cities are.

Rural won't die, urban will.

Emptiness will fill from the clusters overspilled.

To stay in one place and rot goes against the whole meaning of life.

No fault but one's own lack of action.
edit on 22-8-2018 by Neil4No1 because: .

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Reality- Due to China's one child law and the slowing down of large families since WW2 in European based (including the USA and Australia) nations. We globally are expected to see a major loss in population over the next 50 years.

Wherever I look it's the opposite with populations projected to soar towards the 10 billion mark in the early 2050s. There are no clear signs of global populations even slowing down. Ironically, fertility rates could make the difference because they're falling across the world despite population growth racing along.

It raises questions of how they'll all be fed and watered. A lot of people take the view that we can all squeeze on one landmass so overpopulation is hype. It makes a sort of sense. Problem isn't how much space we have, it's how much of the land can sustain agriculture and how much water it takes to keep it alive.

Africa and India are the areas with the highest population growth and they offer good examples of why we'll struggle in the future. India is already struggling for water and is having to use trains to bring emergency water into major cities. Africa is huge and has areas with the potential to be 'bread baskets' if it wasn't for political strife and patchy infrastructures. Huge areas of Africa can't sustain agriculture at all.

America is also a place with rising populations and is already relying on 15% food imports. 50% of fruit is imported and 20% of veg. There's a lot of nutritional value in the fruit and veg - lots of calories, minerals and vitamins. It all has to come from somewhere and competition (and costs) is set to increase.

Imagine almost 30% more humans in the next 30 years and how they're all going to need feeding. It's a daunting possibility.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Evolution in action? Is that the ticket?

Do right, use your head.
Everybody must be fed.
Get together, break your bread.
Yes, together, that's what I said.
Do what you like.

Don't fight, use your head.
It's all right every night.
Do what you like, that's what I said.
Everybody must be fed.
Do what you like.

www.youtube.com...

Little Steve

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

The greatest threat to humanity is not our depletion of oil or any other thousand million resources we could list. The greatest threat to humanity is humanity...PERIOD.

We as in humanity will be long gone before the resources are depleted, the only question we need answer is, will humanities end come as a result of lack of resources or as a result of our depletion of one another.

Well, yes and no. Water is at the top of the list. Countries like Singapore, Australia, Namibia, and states like California, New Mexico and Virginia are already drinking recycled sewage water or toilet-to-tap as it is more commonly referred to. No one wants to have to do that but the need for potable water is exceeding many supplies already. Even now it comes down to what level of impurity is acceptable and considered safe.

We have lived without all kinds of energy sources before and we can do it again. But water remains constant. In the US the main fresh water supply is the Oglala Aquifer. Rain and snow did not create it nor will they replenish it. When it runs dry thats it. Its gone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join