It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He brought an American flag to protest fascism in Portland. Then antifa attacked him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So this story is about a gentleman who like the title says gets beat up for having an American flag, a sign of fascism in ANTIFA's eyes.

Paul Welch came to the downtown protest Aug. 4 to let his political leanings be known.

With pride he clutched his U.S. flag as he moved among the crowd of like-thinking demonstrators.

Soon a group of black-clad anti-fascist protesters, also known as antifa, demanded he lose the flag, calling it a fascist symbol. Welch refused, and a tug-of-war ensued.

It ended with Welch taking a club to the back of the head, lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood.

Only Welch was not a Proud Boy, a Patriot Prayer supporter or among the other conservative activists who descended into the area that day, many from out of town.

He was one of hundreds of progressive Portlanders who had turned out to oppose the right-wing rally held at the Tom McCall Waterfront Park.

Well, he was actually protesting the extreme right that day.

This has been a heated debate recently, hence why I put it in the mudpit. People are gonna say we need to have LEO kill ANTIFA as usual (I'm not, the justice system will suffice).

But what I do think is a problem is some extreme pundits saying that in some ways these extremist groups are good, and that's been done on both sides.

"I didn't come as a part of any one group," Welch said in an interview with The Oregonian/OregonLive. "I was just protesting outsiders coming here for their tacitly fascist event."

Unfortunately, if you don't read from their script and go far enough towards their lean, you may be a target.

"I had felt like showing that a liberal, free Portland — or any major city, really — is much more American and much more numerous and strong than any of these interloping groups," he said.

He had to get staples for the gash on his head.

It took four staples to close the 3-inch gash in the back of his head, Welch said. He spent the next two days recovering from a concussion, though he was able to return to work.
Oregon Live

But I don't see these trends going away with how divided this country is, this thread will likely give credence to my opinion.
edit on 21-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's damn right disgusting on what certain THUGS think peaceable assembly means.

Statues,flags,websites.

FASCISM is staring everyone in their faces.

And the 'moderates' are too busying verbal abusing themselves.

This country can go to hell.

I'm going to my bunker.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't believe this. We're not getting the whole story, this smacks of breitbart propaganda.

Because it's absolutely absurd to suggest Antifa are just attacking the american flag. That's pure propaganda, prepping the alt-right people to be okay about it when they start locking up anybody labelled 'antifa'.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

This thread will be closed soon, so go to this thread to discuss further.

But I purposefully did not use a right wing source. If you read the article it looks like they verified the attacks.

I don't see why it's hard to believe an extremist group with no organized authority has some people do dumb acts when they've shown capacity for violence.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Why?

Really think Antifa is above this snip?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
At the 13 second mark, you can hear the click of an extendable night stick concealed as an umbrella. Plain as day also explains how the poor guy had to have stitches from a gash in his head.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
He should have brought a glock

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

CNN told me they are anti hate so why was this guy a Nazi loving hater.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
does this damage the narrative that Antifa only """""attacks""""""" Trump supporters?

Oh, also, I am waiting for the thread started on when a group of "Patriots" were beating a guy on the ground and stomping on his head, who had to be taken to the hospital

in the name of "Both sides" of course

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
why would these people think it is ok to steal others property?
then when they have trouble stealing it is ok to assault them?

are they anti-freedom?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Please contribute additional comments to preexisting thread located here.

Thank you

thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join