It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Stay Issued in Terri Schiavo Case: Update 2nd Stay Issued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
An emergency appeal has put a hold on plans to remove the feeding tube of a severely brain-damaged woman in Florida. Terri Schiavo who doctors say is in a persistent vegetative state has been the at the center of a series of legal challenges between her husband and her parents. The stay is in place until 5 p.m. EST Wednesday.

Update: Fla. Right-To-Die Case Goes Back to Court

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Back-to-back court rulings handed victories to each side in the bitterly contested fight over the fate of brain-damaged Terri Schiavo, but her parents' share of the victory may be short-lived.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal let a stay expire Tuesday that had blocked Schiavo's husband from removing her feeding tube. But before the tube could be removed, Pinellas Circuit Court Judge George Greer issued an emergency stay until 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Stay Issued

story.news.yahoo.com
DUNEDIN, Fla. - The case of a severely brain-damaged woman remained locked in a legal stalemate Tuesday after an appeals court cleared the way for her husband to remove her feeding tube only to see a judge promptly block the removal for at least another day.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal offered no specific instructions in a one-page mandate issued in the case of Terri Schiavo, who was left brain damaged 15 years ago. That meant her husband, Michael Schiavo, could order his wife's tube be removed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Exactly how many times is this going to go back and forth? It seems that the family is in this issue has lost their objectivity in this case. Are they fighting this fight for Terri or themselves? I for one have no desire to remain in a vegetative state and have left specific instructions as to the limits of what I want to do to keep alive.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Florida Loses Appeal in Terri Schiavo Case
NEWS: Law to Save Terri Schiavo's Life Ruled Unconstitutional
OP/ED: The Right To Die: The Terri Schiavo Case

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was saying this at work when I saw that the Court had overturned it. This is just sad in many respects. I have been feeling "spite" coming into play on Her familys behalf against her husband, but seriously, how long must this go on?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Does anyone know if the husband eligible to collect any insurance upon her death?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinja
Does anyone know if the husband eligible to collect any insurance upon her death?

On MSNBC (I think) last night they said he would not recieve a penny.

The womans parents also offered him a large sum to give up rights and he told them to keep the money.

I could be wrong but I truly believe he just doesnt want to see the woman he loves in this state any longer.

I would do the same

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinja

Remeber that her bills for her prolonged nursing home stay is huge. The jist is this: I doubt there is any money left after all the lagal battles anyway. The family was willing to take over her care no doubt because it is being payed for by the taxpayers of Florida. Are they willing to foot the bill for her care 100%? I doubt it highly. If they were why would the husband continue to fight this?

No, she did not want to live this way and it is his right, duty, moral obligation to carry out her wishes in this matter.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Back-to-back court rulings handed victories to each side in the bitterly contested fight over the fate of brain-damaged Terri Schiavo, but her parents' share of the victory may be short-lived.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal let a stay expire Tuesday that had blocked Schiavo's husband from removing her feeding tube. But before the tube could be removed, Pinellas Circuit Court Judge George Greer issued an emergency stay until 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Stay Issued

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The Slow Grind

While the question at hand is indeed a serious one, whenever I see litigation go on this long, I consider it evidence of a problem with the applicable law.

It seems to me that the legislation surrounding decisions such as these needs to be clarified in the State of Florida. Judges make poor legislators.

Aside from that, it is saddening to see so much public interference in this matter, yet at the same time strangely reassuring.

I'm left with a lot of mixed feelings about the case, the questions it raises, the attention it has gotten, and not a lot of satisfying answers.

I doubt I am alone in this regard.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I really wish this would get resolved soon. I'm actually on the side of the husband but I totally understand the parents feelings too. Sadly I feel that Terri is the one suffering the most from this, even though she is unaware of the all the legalities.

I suggest everyone make a living will and make their final wishes clear in case something like does happen so families aren't torn apart. I've signed papers authorizing my husband, my mother, etc to pull the plug on me should I ever be in a vegetative state. No one should be selfish and try to keep me alive when I am no longer the person I was.

new topics

top topics

join