It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing uncomfortable history

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The agitation occurred when you posted the quote and comment here I described using your words about Lincoln here.

It's been your tirade. Perhaps you are not self aware of how what you write looks to others.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
History that does not suit the current political narrative will be rewritten. Ironically this happens constantly throughout history as any good student of the subject will know.

Nothing ever happened at Tiananmen Square in 1989.

Rome would erase people who were "problematic" from existence itself. Indeed it is where the term for erasure and revision of politically incorrect history comes from, "Damnatio memoriae".

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

The agitation occurred when you posted the quote and comment here I described using your words about Lincoln here.

The only person who seems to be agitated is you. But you were already agitated. I didn't do that.

Otherwise, posting the truth isn't agitation. It just is what it is. Nothing I said was a big secret, and despite your lack of awareness, I am not the only one who's talking about it. That's your own ignorance -- and arrogance in believing that because you aren't talking about, that no one is... or that because you don't want it talked about, that no one should.

It's been your tirade. Perhaps you are not self aware of how what you write looks to others.

I am quite aware that people -- including many on ATS -- think and believe what they will, and more often than not it says everything about them and nothing about me. Your very first comment to me was not only presumptive, it was outright insulting. And you said exactly what you wanted to say. You did not ask me any questions. You did not ask me to clarify. You didn't offer me any alternative perspectives to consider. You did not correct anything I said. You didn't offer anything of substance whatsoever. Nope. You thought what you will, you wanted to think the worst and you did, you wanted to be hateful and insulting and you were. Good job!

Sorry I didn't go cry in my cups because someone on the internet called me names... you and your opinions are just not that important.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   

After over 5 pages of increasingly excited posts you have finally come unhinged. Rest a bit then resume when you are able to make sense again.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

After over 5 pages of increasingly excited posts you have finally come unhinged. Rest a bit then resume when you are able to make sense again.

If I seem unhinged to you, it's only because I was responding to such pathetic shadiness.

I have directly responded to each and every accusation you have made, and that you have repeatedly refused to back up. You cry about history and don't even know the history. And like a little snot nosed punk who still needs his mommy to wipe his nose, when you can't walk your talk, you just talk trash about those who can and do.

So where are all those quotes where I took a position? Come on... you must have them all ready at your fingertips. Or not. Because I didn't take a position before. I didn't have a position before. I hadn't thought about it enough to have an opinion. But I do now, and you helped me get there, but you sure won't like it. You have provided the perfect glimpse of who I refuse to be.

My position? Like everything else in life, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. I don't think every confederate statue and monument should go. And I don't think every confederate statue and monument should stay. And I know damn well it's not my decision anyway. Not my statues and monuments, not my choice. I also know damn well that wanton destruction of public property without due process is NOT the way to go. These are decisions to be made by the appropriate parties, not by the whole world sticking their noses into someone else's business.

So tell me again, which side am I on? It must be oh so crystal clear to you... which side?

My hope and prayer is that this situation does turn into a teaching opportunity of history. My hope and prayer is that we don't forget the past or hide from the past, but learn from it. That we don't celebrate it happened, but we celebrate that we are better than that now, and will be even better in the future than we are now.

And I know there are some really creative and innovative and wise people who can find a way to showcase our history, incorporating at least some of these old statues and monuments, and shine a light on not just how far we've come as a nation and people, but also shine a light on a much brighter future because we did take this walk through hell, and it showed us who we DON'T want to be, and helps us be that much better.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Such a scary mentality.

These are little kids having a temper tantrum.

Only losers known to destroy history are the ....

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It seems like society is trying to find the line between promotion oppression and suppressing history.

I think it all depends where the statues are. They should be near a historic site or a museum.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Well said. History should never be erased and our public school are all too often bad at telling the true history. Education is riddled with altered narratives.

Having said that, I would not want a ghengis khan statue in my town. I love the history, but to see a symbol of pure evil everyday would be a bit depressing.

Confederacy has a place in history and should not be ignored, but they were usually erected for the wrong reasons. Far too many racist rednecks have the confederacy flag hanging up in their living spaces.

How about we just tear them down and use the material to erect more positive statues???? Lots of positive people in history, why have statues of the negative?

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Ok. I don't want to argue all of your posts. Some were very thoughtful and I starred them. It's only the last couple where your perspective seemed to distort that I took issue with. This was a debate. I don't expect we will be best friends after this but I want to say I don't hold any personal animosity toward you.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

How very big of you... or something.

But okay. We'll leave it here and, as always, our words will stand on their own merit.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Saw in passing that NC is keeping its confederate statues on the Capital grounds, but the History commission has decided the area must be expanded to allow displays covering slavery and the oppression that came with it.

Wonder if that will be enough to satiate the rabid SJW crowd.

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If someone destroys a statue(property) that does not belong to themselves, and without its owners permission, by a means not sanctioned by law, because it commemorates something they feel is evil, then they are navigating along a precipice laden with ice.

One could well argue that human beings form societies for the greater good, and law and order is necessary for a society to function. At times laws are so egregious that common sense and decency demand one gives the finger to society and risk freedom, life, and limb if necessary to oppose it. Such as the issues of slavery, or mmj, or prohibition.

In my humble opinion, destroying someone else's tasteless statue, done in violation of the law, is a fools choice. The war is over, the slavers lost, and at worst the statues are an ugly reminder of the past as well as a look into the thoughts and feelings of the conquered.

I hope as many as possible of those involved are tried in a court of law.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join