It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Lincoln did it to protect his cash cow.

So Lincoln fired the first shots at Sumter or told the Southern states to secede? I say good on him, when someone starts a war with you the proper response is to kick their ass.

Lincolns Burdensome taxes and tariffs were the Economic first shot at the south. Remember the US has a long history of getting someone to strike them back so they can play the victim.

THE SOUTH SECEDED BEFORE LINCOLN AND THE REPUBLICANS EVEN TOOK OFFICE..

Jesus Christ that is literally civil war history 101...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The South seceeded AFTER he was elected and he was going to be sworn into office. Semantics.

Lincoln was fine with slavery IN THE SOUTH though it seems,because they were needed to take advantage of th esouths products and taxes they collected. Licoln was against slavery OUTWARDLY but not personally. How much you want to bet they destroyed a few diaries that reflected that? hmm?

No the best president EVER was George washington.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Lincoln did it to protect his cash cow.

So Lincoln fired the first shots at Sumter or told the Southern states to secede? I say good on him, when someone starts a war with you the proper response is to kick their ass.

Lincolns Burdensome taxes and tariffs were the Economic first shot at the south. Remember the US has a long history of getting someone to strike them back so they can play the victim.

THE SOUTH SECEDED BEFORE LINCOLN AND THE REPUBLICANS EVEN TOOK OFFICE..

Jesus Christ that is literally civil war history 101...

www.marottaonmoney.com...

Go there. It was the northern government itself. so yeah you are correct. LIncoln just enforced them after coming into office. The below is a peice of the entire article.

Although they opposed permanent tariffs, political expedience in spite of sound economics prompted the Founding Fathers to pass the first U.S. tariff act. For 72 years, Northern special interest groups used these protective tariffs to exploit the South for their own benefit. Finally in 1861, the oppression of those import duties started the Civil War.

In addition to generating revenue, a tariff hurts the ability of foreigners to sell in domestic markets. An affordable or high-quality foreign good is dangerous competition for an expensive or low-quality domestic one. But when a tariff bumps up the price of the foreign good, it gives the domestic one a price advantage. The rate of the tariff varies by industry.

If the tariff is high enough, even an inefficient domestic company can compete with a vastly superior foreign company. It is the industry’s consumers who ultimately pay this tax and the industry’s producers who benefit in profits.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Yeah, sure, except all but two of the states bailed before he took office so your revisionist history isn't going to fly. Try again.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

If secession was treason why was no Confederate ever tried for treason?
They had Jefferson Davis in jail at Fort Monroe and wanted to hang him.
They couldn't find anywhere in US law to justify it.
So stop with the treason accusations and the Nazi Germany comparisons.
It's disingenuous and patently not true.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Morill's tariff was passed under Buchanan's administration. It was still the North forcing the South to buy Northern manufactured goods and bearing the cost of Federal government on the backs of Southerners.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Morill's tariff was passed under Buchanan's administration. It was still the North forcing the South to buy Northern manufactured goods and bearing the cost of Federal government on the backs of Southerners.

They were not, as the poster above stated, 'Lincoln's tariffs'.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

They were not, as the poster above stated, 'Lincoln's tariffs'.

As i CORRECTED they were the NORTHS. Didnt read the Linked article i posted seriously eh?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

They know Lincoln's thoughts on slavery very well. He gave no care to it. He said that if he could preserve the union by upholding slavery he would, if he had to free some of the slaves he would, if he had to free all of the slaves he would. He wanted to preserve the union at all costs. That was his goal.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

so - the vietnam conflict ?? should the USA have memorials ???

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
so - the vietnam conflict ?? should the USA have memorials ???

I don't consider the Vietnam War a military loss, the NVA was destroyed and the United States military accomplished its goal of reducing the fighting capacity of the enemy to practically nothing. They then turned this over to the ARVN which was unable to maintain the gains. That was a political decision to pull out in 1975.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
This is admittedly a sore subject for me. I think anyone who attacks a statue on public property should be eligible for capital punishment.

It is a felony in Alabama (thank you Kay Ivey!) and as far as I am concerned, very dangerous if I am nearby. Fools wanting to tear down monuments to my heritage make me want to rip the fools' malfunctioning heads off their fragile little shoulders.

One day they are going to pull this crap around the wrong people... and maybe, just maybe, after the blood stops flowing, people will wake up to the fact that there are some things you just don't do.

TheRedneck

After the OP expresses some concern for possible violence, you write a post about responding with violence... "after the blood stops flowing"

Also, are you really proud of your racist heritage? These statues should be in a historic museum. Not out in public as some heroic display.

It's just pathetic that some people still hold on to these statues as a symbol of America.

edit on 23-8-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
double-post

link   
double post

link   
double post..

link   
double post........

link   
double post............

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join