It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Except the democrats were the conservative/right wing party 150 years ago and the republicans were the liberals..

BY DEFINITION....

The southern democrats wanted to CONSERVE slavery..

The northern republicans wanted to effect broad social change..

Left = change>traditions of the past

Right= traditions of the past > change.

It is kinda hilarious and scary how the rightwing propaganda whores want to change the definitions of words that already have definitions..

Be honest are you trolling or do you actually believe the nonsense you push???

I mean honestly it seems too dumb for someone who can operate a computer to legit believe.

edit on 22-8-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

AMERICAN MONUMENTS?!?!

I thought they tore down one confederate monument...

You know the group who betrayed America , trash canned the US constitution and killed 100s of thousands of US servicemen..

Literally the most unamerican group in history..

Did the Nazis kill 250,000 US servicemen?!?

Nope..

Did ISIS kill 250,000 US servicemen???

Nope..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Absolutely, just because your torn between 2 things doesn’t mean you didn’t betray one or the other..

Lee was also VERY anti-glorifying the confederacy and was very quick to admit it was the biggest mistake he ever made..

Say what you want about lee he was uniquely accountable for his actions. He never shifted blame.

He was horrified by the lost cause garbage..

The sad part is popular history has forgotten the demogoges who started the war.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: TinySickTears

I knew it! So if we topple the Statue of Liberty, we can stamp out illegal immigration!

You are so smart!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: seagull

Absolutely, just because your torn between 2 things doesn’t mean you didn’t betray one or the other..

Lee was also VERY anti-glorifying the confederacy and was very quick to admit it was the biggest mistake he ever made..

Say what you want about lee he was uniquely accountable for his actions. He never shifted blame.

He was horrified by the lost cause garbage..

The sad part is popular history has forgotten the demogoges who started the war.

Just because someone went to war for the Confederacy, doesn't necessarily mean they were pro slavery. They may have gone to preserve the area that they live in, to protect their families or because they were patriotic. They may have gone because they were forced to go. They probably went because they bought into the war propaganda. Saying they every soldier that was in the Confederacy was pro slavery is like saying every US soldier in Afghanistan is pro opoid addiction, after all we are protecting the opium fields.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

aye , I forget that , not sure why they dont just put a clown nose on it , or something like a Dashiki or an afro wig

take the piss , have a little fun

, instead of causing hassle
just take the piss out of it

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It seems easy for some to Monday morning quarterback the Civil War 150+ years later but I doubt it is all that accurate concerning that complex situation.

Speaking of traitors...

Maybe it is time to label those who want to limit speech, allow illegal immigration and remove the poeple's right to own firearms traitors.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
ok all notifications of replies have vanished - and i am not trawling through the dross ^

my pervious post in thread was a pic of the monument to maine citizens who thought [ on the union side ] in the ACW

so , and an asidde for the intelectually challenged :

" silent sam " is not a fictional character - its a generic representation of all the alumnni of the univerity who served the confederacy

so - should the maiine monument go ?

i havve no dog in this " fight " - i just want to see the mental gymastics display

which is it ?

both should stay [ my actual position ]

the carolina one goes [ has happened ] and not a mention of removing the maine one [ current situation ] ?

both should go ?

what says you ATS ?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

A) we are taking treason not slavery..

B) your right soldiers fought for countless various reasons including being drafted, but soldiers don’t start wars ... politicians start wars.. and souther politicians started the war to protect slavery..

C) lee wasn’t really anti slavery.. he was left a few slaves in his father in laws will that were to be released 5 years after the father in law’s death.. he went to court to keep them enslaved even longer.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The monuments that legit teach history are not a problem.. the PROTAGONIST monuments glorifying traitors are disgusting..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
so - should the maiine monument go ?

No, Maine was on the winning side and winners get trophies, even non-personified ones if they want.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

That’s funny because no one said every soldier who fought , fought for slavery..

That is what’s known as goal post moving..

Politicians start wars not soldiers.. and the politicians who started it did so to protect slavery.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Then why are there 100xs more confederate monuments than US monuments from the civil war????

Oh that’s right the daughters of the confederacy went on a propaganda bender and successfully propagandized 100 years of southern youths.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

That’s funny because no one said every soldier who fought , fought for slavery..

That is what’s known as goal post moving..

Politicians start wars not soldiers.. and the politicians who started it did so to protect slavery.

Lincoln did it to protect his cash cow. not for the reason of keeping the union together. Which was worse? Lincoln was fine with slavery until the south wanted to leave and take that sweet sweet cash along with them.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Lincoln did it to protect his cash cow.

So Lincoln fired the first shots at Sumter or told the Southern states to secede? I say good on him, when someone starts a war with you the proper response is to kick their ass.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

A) Lincoln wasn’t fine with slavery which is why his main policy position was to restrict slavery to only the southern states where it already existed..

.. he just didn’t think there was the political will AT ALL to abolish it.. because there wasn’t. Lincoln was a flaming racist, but good luck finding anyone besides John Brown who wasn’t.

B) the south seceded BEFORE he took office. So I don’t know what you mean..

C) Lincoln also sent Fredrick Douglass to sneak as many slaves out of the south because he was afraid if he lost the 1864 election the emancipation proclamation would be revoked.

So you can’t say he didn’t care at all about the slaves either..

Right wing propaganda has ALWAYS been the same laughable garbage.. Lincoln was very moderate and the best president we EVER had..

But in conservative propaganda he was a vehement abolitionist..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Um...

If you are born an American and take up arms against your own people you are a traitor..

Doubly so for everyone who went to West Point where they specifically swear an oath to uphold the US sovereignty and constitution..

You know the constitution the confederacy whipped their butts with before killing more US soldiers than anyone else ever..

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: yuppa
Lincoln did it to protect his cash cow.

So Lincoln fired the first shots at Sumter or told the Southern states to secede? I say good on him, when someone starts a war with you the proper response is to kick their ass.

Lincolns Burdensome taxes and tariffs were the Economic first shot at the south. Remember the US has a long history of getting someone to strike them back so they can play the victim.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Did any of those places sieze 1/3 of US sovereign soil and kill 200,000+ us service members????

Here is a better question why don’t you ever see any US monuments from the civil war???

Oh that’s right conservative propaganda...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Why?

I watched that live.

The US troops put the rope on it.

But the Iraqi's themselves pulled it down.

Iraq was hardly a bastion of freedom ,and democracy.

BWAHAHAHA

YEA THE CONFEDERACY WAS KNOWN FOR BEING A BASTION OF FREEDOM?!?!

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join