It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Annee

Point is - - there was effort by citizens to have it removed. Which they can't do - - because fascist Right Republicans made it against the law.

oh and the "fascist Right Republicans" won the elections held there, so they do get to make the laws

You will remember that next time you comment on California.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

sure
no problem
are people in California petitioning to remove statues using the wrong avenues?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Robt. E. Lee was incredibly torn over his decision.

He was well aware of his oath as an officer, a fine one, too, in the United States Army. He was also, ahead of everything else, a Virginian. He felt an over-riding duty to Virginia, his home,

Whether you agree with it or not, that was his thinking.

I asked this earlier, when is treason justifiable rebellion?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: TinySickTears

Is vandalism a crime?? Absolutely

Should the US and public education institutions have ever let the statues of a bunch of traitors who betrayed their country be put up on government/public property???

Hell no..

What simple minded people don’t seem to comprehend is that the confederacy IS the USA’s version of the swastika..

They betrayed their country because they were afraid after Lincoln’s election he would abolish slavery. Which is just the worst reason ever..

The hilariously disturbing part is that they got demogoged into it. Lincoln had no desire nor did he have the political will to abolish slavery in the south.

The most unpatriotic thing an American can EVER do is fly the flag of people who killed 100s of thousands of US service members.

Wrong. LIncoln committed crimes himself to even HAVE the civil war. he broke 11 documented laws and also dis allowed the use of the 10th amendment that gave the south the right to withdraw if they elected to do so AND to freely trade with who they wanted to without asking permission to do so.

Lincolns banker buddies in the north did not want to lose their cash cow. The north didnt do anything but consume southern products such as cotton and crops and refused to pay a fair price for it.

Oh lincoln did it to free the slaves because he liked them? Not true either. in his own diaries he wrote he didnt like black people and wanted to deport them all back to africa afterwards.

The history is written by the victors correct? Lincolns bankers and industrialist rewrote it to suit their needs.
Its a shame so many people fall for that lie lincoln spouted. He got what he deserved as a traitor to the constitution.

And the US flag..lol was almost always present in KKK rallies and racist gatherings,so its no better than the confederate flag either.

Lincoln was a traitor and does not deserve to be celebrated either.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I asked this earlier, when is treason justifiable rebellion?

Ooh OOh i know!! When your name is Abraham lincoln!! Apparently everyone overlooks his shredding of constitutional laws and the 10th amendment as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Over at Duke University they removed a statue of Robert E Lee from the front of the chapel building. Their reasoning ? For public "safety". Apparently, if you can get enough protesters together and vandalize statues they become "unsafe" and must be removed. Mind you Lee was only 1 out of 10 personages represented by statues there.

I'll add one other thing: the war was over keeping the Southern states in the Union, right? Kind of like a marriage where one spouse has had enough and despite their years together decides it's better to go it alone. Can you save a marriage by disparaging the spouse who wants to leave? Can you restore harmony by belittling them, calling them evil and comparing them to Nazis? Of course not so why is it that "toothless rednecks" are still the butt of jokes? The South thought of as backwards, racist, ignorant and uncultured? Who would want to stay in that kind of relationship?

The strain between the separate geographic areas of the US has been ongoing since independence and still continues to this day. There is and has always been a Yankee problem in this country.
edit on 21-8-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Depends. Statue of Rocky people might get upset...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

What would I know? I'm just a borderer born and bred. We see both sides out here and learn about them too. I think it was called Bloody Kansas, and some of our favorite traditions in this area were named after the Border War between Kansas and Missouri. I'm surprised no one has gotten huffy over how uncomfortable that all is.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Gothmog

Robert E Lee, Jeff Davis and everyother memer of the confederacy who went to West Point swore an oath of loyalty to the USA.

They broke that oath and took up arms against the USA.

That is literally the definition of treason.

And that is letting those like Forrest who didn’t go to West Point seperate..

Basically everyone besides Forrest who has s statue even swore an oath to The US BEFORE THEY COMMITTED TREASON.

And now I see the level of ignorance on the subject .
Learn real history for crying out loud.
Hint - It was about States' rights . And the point is , the Federal government cannot send troops into a State and confiscate land .
There is a good starting point for you
Now , I have done my due diligence to ATS
Denied Ignorance.

edit on 8/21/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They did get huffy, really, really huffy. There's a reason it was called Bloody Kansas.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

So, if this is correct, as a populace we should be able to encircle a crack house and tear that # down! It shows a dark history of the US. Drug Use. Violence. STD's.

In reality you would be charged with destruction of private property and get a felony charge.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

Statues representing men who lost a war to us should not be erected anywhere on u.s soil and only be mentioned in history books and museums. Anyone defending said statues would be treasonous in my opinion. Would you defend statues of Hitler or Mussolini on school grounds?

Whats funny is the president who committed treason and won the civil war has one of the biggest statues in the US. No matter the reason Lincoln had breaking the law to do so was wrong and he should had been impeached and removed immediately.

And lost a war to US? Funny they were all americans and were not citizens of a different nation because they confederacy never officially became a nation.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Gotta try and rewrite democratic history, since everyone knows that the confederates wage war against a Republican that ended up freeing slaves.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)

and, as always:
Do NOT reply to this post!!

edit on Tue Aug 21 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So you think soneone who vandalized a statue should be murdered? How very fecked up is that. There shouldn't be any statues anywhere that support slavery and im glad they are coming down.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
a reply to: TheRedneck

You really think vandalism is a capital punishment crime?

What would you suggest for jay walking, life in prison?

Only if the jaywalking delays drivers going to a Klan meeting.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join