It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of North Carolina Students Topple Confederate Monument

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
a reply to: TheRedneck

You really think vandalism is a capital punishment crime?

What would you suggest for jay walking, life in prison?

When I was in N.Y. A cop pulled a gun on me for jaywalking......

edit on 21-8-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Krazysh0t

God bless the Queen then, right?

When is it not treason? But justified rebellion? Point out the line to me??

When you win. Then you get to write the history books and there is no one to tell you your reasons were wrong.
edit on 21-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So, the Right (Republicans) made it a law that the confederate soldiers can't be removed.

Fascism?

"a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition".

But in North Carolina, local officials don't have the power to make decisions about Confederate monuments. A 2015 law passed by the General Assembly and signed by then-Gov. Pat McCrory makes it illegal to remove "an event, person or military service that is part of North Carolina's history" without permission from the N.C. Historical Commission.

The law passed over the objections of Democrats wanted local officials and the North Carolina Historical Commission to have authority over such monuments. Republican supporters said they wanted to protect history.

The Southern Poverty Law Center last year counted more than 1,500 things around the country named after Confederate figures or dedicated to the Confederacy, including holidays, statues, flags and the names of cities, counties, schools and parks. Nearly half are monuments, which are in 24 states. Most of the dedications are in the South, but 24 are in the North and 21 in states that did not exist at the time of the Civil War.
abc11.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

How exactly is a fictional character your heritage?

Should we allow Nazi statues at our City Halls for those Americans who supported their actions and beliefs.

Time for you to move on and leave the Confederacy behind. Something that happened 150 years ago...were you alive....your parents alive.... what exactly are you trying to save?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Well then if its not that big a deal and it was 150 years ago why the need to remove it.

See how that works?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Really?

That's not the impression I'm getting from some... From some, not all, it seems so long as they agree with the stated "reason", it's OK.

I didn't see anyone agree with the vandalism, although many did agree Sam should have been moved elsewhere some time ago.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I love pointing out the obvious....SOOO here I am to do so since I haven't seen many recognize it over the last 12 pages.

Its not a coincidence that this topic ended up discussing North Vs. South...The events that inspired topics like these serve only to reignite old flames in a country that has remained divided in principal since the beginning.

It is of my logical and researched opinion that these events are sponsored and fostered by entities and institutions that want this country to kick off another civil war. Its a well known psy-op tactic to instigate infighting as a means of weakening or destroying an enemy without actually having to enter combat. Why doesn't anyone question the presence of this tactic as a reasonable origin for these types of events ans subsequent conflicts??

There is a notable difference between the last civil war and a modern one if it were to occur...there was no world entity power enough to step in and assume control of the conflict and consequently assume control of the people within the conflict. Today....we have the UN and its incredibly left oriented philosophies. The only thing the UN needs is a just cause to violate US sovereignty which its left oriented constituents in the US are busy at work attempting to instigate...its the only way I can rationalize their extreme insanity....the left isn't there to make sense or actually accomplish its backwards logic....its there to poke a bee hive and kick off some chaos. Chaos that is eagerly awaited by the UN and the globalists...

Think of how the US spreads "democracy"....long before we ever set foot in another country we destabilize it on all vectors. We build a "case" for intervention and follow through once a critical event occurs naturally or by design. The irony in that this seems to be exactly what is happening to the US can't be that obtuse can it? The extra credit irony is that the US has contributed more to the UN than any other nation beefing up the only legitimate threat to its sovereignty.

The left is insane on purpose...attempting to provoke a conflict great enough for intervention. The US is an inherent obstacle to globalism....which as far as I can tell is the only consistent agenda among all the agendas throughout history.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

God bless the Queen then, right?

When is it not treason? But justified rebellion? Point out the line to me??

When you win. Then you get to write the history books and there is no one to tell you your reasons were wrong.

Funny you say that. I was born and lived in the South for a little time as a kid, and I remember a friend of my father talking about the South and the Confederacy.

The most memorable thing I can remember him saying is that this was the first time in written history in which the traitors of a nation fought and lost a war, and yet they are the one's memorialized and held in such high regard.

I'm not sure that is true, as being the first time, but it does offer some perspective to the issue.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't know how true that statement is, but I can see why someone would come to that belief easily.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So, back in 2017 - - a petition was enacted. They tried to do it legally first.

Petition urges UNC to remove Silent Sam Confederate statue in Chapel Hill

CHAPEL HILL – As controversy swirls around North Carolina’s Confederate monuments, an online petition is aimed at perhaps the most well-known statue — Silent Sam.

A change.org petition this week had drawn nearly 2,000 signatures by Thursday afternoon from people who want UNC to remove Silent Sam “and other relics of racism” on campus. The petition is targeted at the UNC Board of Governors, which oversees the public university system.

Many signers suggested that the statue is a blight on the university and belongs in a museum.

“I’m signing because this is shameful to North Carolina and all of our people,” wrote Cathy Bridge of Durham. “My daughter goes to UNC and it is the only horrifyingly embarrassing part of of her experience. Shame on the people that make decisions not to change things!”

The Confederate soldier statue at the edge of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus has long been a site of protests, including Sunday when a black hood was placed over the monument a day after the racial violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. www.journalnow.com... b.html

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

Trolls will troll..

He doesn’t think it deserves execution either..

He just doesn’t like the fact lost cause propaganda isn’t mainstream anymore. Thanks to the internet and other sources it is just about impossible to propagandize someone who doesn’t want to be propagandized for long.

They don’t like the fact that now the confederacy is look at as unamerican traitors who fought a war against the United States for the oh so horrible reason that they were afraid they were gonna lose their slaves.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So they knew how the law worked then broke it anyway?
You are using that as justification for breaking the law? The fact that they were unsuccessful?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

So to sum up, the public majority wanted the statue taken down and even tried a petition that achieved the desired signatures, but conservatives in the legislature made this task legally prohibitive by assigning the decision to keep or remove the statue to a conservative friendly historical society? So then students took it into their own hands? Man, provided that is true, I care even less for the fate of that statue.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

But , but I thought people wanted to destroy them not put them in a museum?!?!

Oh that’s right it was all nonsense and the only people who want them destroyed are random nobodies who don’t run anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Gotta love the worst propagandists in history.. the daughters of the confederacy..

The stupidity and ignorance they have sown is just ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

change.org is a legal legislative avenue in that state?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

No I think she said the opposite..

That the conservatives in the legislature didn’t like the law so they broke it...

This act of vandalism is a reaction to them.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
So, back in 2017 - - a petition was enacted. They tried to do it legally first.

Petition urges UNC to remove Silent Sam Confederate statue in Chapel Hill

A change.org petition this week had drawn nearly 2,000 signatures by Thursday afternoon from people who want UNC to remove Silent Sam “and other relics of racism” on campus. The petition is targeted at the UNC Board of Governors, which oversees the public university system.

Many signers suggested that the statue is a blight on the university and belongs in a museum.

Nearly 2000 signatures UNC had 29,847 students in Fall 2017 so 6% made a stink of it?

edit on 21-8-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

so change.org is a legislative avenue at that institution?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It is precisely true..

I’m a Mississippi guy myself and the truth is the truth..

Paraphrasing from Grant after the war..

Never in human history have people fought so hard and bravely with less cause and for a worse reason..

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join