It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire in the Hole. Bushfire my way. Time to kit up.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Postscript, Yesterday evening it started to rain. Not much. Bit of lightning and thunder. Nuff to wet things down.

Went out at 8pm to drive 40 odd klms to town to pick up my son from work. Smell from steaming ash and fires hit the nostrils. Kinda like a campfire smell when you tip water on it.

Glad things freshened up.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Thanks for the update.

Glad you are safe and well.

Well done mate.

P

posted on Aug, 24 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Cheers bloke,

bally

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I can imagine that smell and, because the danger has passed, it probably smelled great.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

That is good news bally! Glad you are safe.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Its such a hot topic in Western Australia. We've moved down the hill about 10 years ago but still border on a national park.

We have "suburbanites" screaming their sheets drying on the line pick up the smoke smell of controlled burns FFS.

Or a bit of the occasional cough and difficulty in breathing.

We have 1st hand evidence and Coroners inquiries into death caused by transformer fires due to equipment neglect or lack of backburning,

Our penalties for Arson were increased to Life Imprisonment for a reason.

People forget Australia is a thin strip of coastal habitation surrounded by deserts.

I dont have hard evidence but I notice our winters are increasingly colder and wetter. It seems that our tropical zone is moving south.

theconversation.com...

If the current rate continues, by 2100 the edge of the new dry subtropical zone would extend from roughly Sydney to Perth. As these dry subtropical zones shift, droughts will worsen and overall less rain will fall in most warm temperate regions.

Poleward shifts in the average tracks of tropical and extratropical cyclones are already happening. This is likely to continue as the tropics expand further.

As extratropical cyclones move, they shift rain away from temperate regions that historically rely upon winter rainfalls for their agriculture and water security.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The area around the house gets visited each day by roos, potaroos, wallabies, all manner of native birds and as you imagine, reptiles. The goannas are a fair size and during the hotter days raid the coops. Pythons live in the roof and around the block and also get active taking the small chicks and goslings but thats nature. It's the poisoness snakes that can be a worry and I've had blacks and browns around infrequently. A black took my dogs life a little while back and not long before I got here a python from in the roof got hold of one of their cats.

You sound like you have a balanced micro ecology. This is a healthy sign

You reminded me of when I came home one day and my wife saw this brown thing slither out of the bedroom wardrobe when we had our 1/2 acre bush block. She recounted going white and pale thinking what if our young boys were bitten.

The funniest times where when our dog would catch a bobtail or rat and play with it - stank out the back yard, I would chase the dog trying to get the poor critter to kill and bury it. Our dog would toy with me teasing by dropping it and then picking it up again ....LOL

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

backyard makes me envious for that lifestyle and the access to raw nature.

You know what you sound like in your post? A man at peace with himself and the world.

Heres something funny for you - my wife was born in OZ of Italian heritage, I came out when I was 4 from Greece.
We really want to retire in Europe even though we know the Health system is more expensive and the cost of living in some areas is high.

Nothing beats being 1-2 hrs away from another country by air, or the village lifestyle where everyone knows each other by 1st name basis.

Eu 90c espressos, fresh produce from the South, culture, festivals, clothing is cheap.

Soon we'll probably be doing 3 mths Europe 9 mths Australia. Best of both worlds.

We haven't visited Britain yet. Looking forward to castles, Wales, the occasional football game.

In 2009 we went and saw AC Milan in their home ground. It was a real buzz.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Lol, the things you see animals do.

I laugh each time I hear a dog yelping and see one of the mutts cut a groove past the verandah with a goose firmly latched to its back flapping its' wings.

Always cracks me up.

bally

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Cheers for your concern Night Star.

Watch out for the Nun movie.

Let me know what you think when you go to see it.

bally

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yeah mate, it's all 'grass is greener' syndrome that keeps us unsettled. I love the opportunities to get away from the world in Australia. Go camp out somewhere and no problems - no bears either! Meanwhile, you're IN Australia and wishing you could travel to more different places. Your 3 months of travelling sounds like a winner.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hi mate,

This is a small thread I did last year, 2018, basically the same thing 14 months on. Worth a link to 2019 methinks.

Kind regards,

Bally

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join