It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Legislature Bill SB-1192 Children’s meals. Say hello to more nanny-state.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

I know what it is, I'd just never heard it called that. It amused me.

I'm well aware of the effects that lobbies, of whatever sort, have on politics--and have had for many, many years.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It says that when a restaurant offers children's meals that include a drink, the provided drink has to be either water or milk, unless the parent asks for something else. A parent could go in and ask for 10 large sodas for their kid if they wanted.
So basically, parents are free to order whatever they want for their kids. The OP completely blew this out of proportion.

I read it when I saw OP didn't include it with the sensational title. I was curious what people were going to try and sell me without me reading it.

It's the most mundane bill I've ever read.

No one is stopping any freedom, hell they're even saving money for some unsuspecting people if they do water by default.

Most parents I know don't get their kids soda every meal anyways... Just because you're free to drink a soda every meal doesn't mean you should, and that's as an adult. Don't let your kid do it though.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's the question, isn't it?

From what I've seen, and am seeing, that's a question that is going to be answered very soon.

I don't think we're going to like the answer. Today, we've too many people who are, seemingly, all too willing to let Big Brother do their thinking/deciding for them.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

NO harm no foul. Looks to me like the OP wanted to Reeeee on a nothing burger that makes sense. Sad.
edit on 20-8-2018 by JasonBillung because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's the question, isn't it?

From what I've seen, and am seeing, that's a question that is going to be answered very soon.

I don't think we're going to like the answer. Today, we've too many people who are, seemingly, all too willing to let Big Brother do their thinking/deciding for them.

I see too many people who don't take proper responsibility for their commitments in life concerning children and the situation becomes so bad the state has to step in.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JasonBillung

NO harm no foul. Looks to me like the OP wanted to Reeeee on a nothing burger that makes sense. Sad.

People are dying in unneeded wars while people back home argue a verbal hurdle to get your kid a dopamine fix.

It's at this moment I'm worried for my country.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

People are dying in unneeded wars while people back home argue a verbal hurdle to get your kid a dopamine fix.

It's at this moment I'm worried for my country.

Agree. I spent several years in boots. I kicked some sand myself for this country.

But it is the attitude of folks posting this simple-minded crap that lies at the basis for these wars. Go along with my gang, even if we object to a law that promotes the heath of kids, because it looks like my team is against it.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sure you should have the freedom to give your kids diabetes and heart disease

Obesity, diabetes, heart disease is an epidemic in America.

Any attempt to help children eat better might not be a bad idea

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

it's at least an attempt to help people.
it may not be the right idea but we have to start somewhere.... right?

unchecked, obesity in america's youth will weigh down the health care industry. diabetes, high cholesterol, heart issues all begin with the choice of diet. then when all these kids grow into adults, who is going to foot the bill for their health care? private insurance? state run healthcare?
regardless of which organization pays, we the public will eventually shoulder the cost of treating these individuals. whether it comes as a form of tax or higher premiums, we are going to be the ones who pay.

personally i don't think this will work. kids (their parents) will forgo the water and get soda with the meal.

since you are so against this plan, what do you suggest we as a nation do to help today's kids (and parents) make better nutritional decisions?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Pretty sure we either read a different bill, or you didn't read it and went off of the title/member over reactions.

link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Sure you should have the freedom to give your kids diabetes and heart disease

Obesity, diabetes, heart disease is an epidemic in America.

Any attempt to help children eat better might not be a bad idea

It is difficult for me to understand how folks here are defending unhealthy drinks for kids. I guess it is some sort of thinking I have not really ever embraced. There must be some other agenda afoot...An agenda that is more important then the lives and health of our kids.

link   
double. But worth saying again.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Go along with my gang, even if we object to a law that promotes the heath of kids, because it looks like my team is against it.

Party over principle.

God forbid our group think tribe doesn't win on something.... Or let a salacious story go to waste.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: JasonBillung

Go along with my gang, even if we object to a law that promotes the heath of kids, because it looks like my team is against it.

Party over principle.

God forbid our group think tribe doesn't win on something.... Or let a salacious story go to waste.

This is why we (and I) went to these stupid wars.

I will wait for someone to call me a communist or a fascist....

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: ketsuko

So you as a parent can make all decisions about your child? No in this country. You can't send your kids to work in the fields anymore for 12 hours a day. Any you do have to feed them in a nutritional fashion. If you think different, go check your states social services and see how many kids they removed from homes because they were under nourished.

Go check up on parents that abuse their kids in other ways. Gone from the household. I have fostered many kids in my lifetime who were pulled out of homes because of all kinds of abuse - most of it mental, but much of it just parents who didn't clean their kids or give them a good meal.

This legislation is a good thing - default healthy drinks for kids. Want to give them crap fizzy corporate slime, ok.

How can anyone be against this?

Oh, I know, nanny state. Well, kids need a nanny when their damn parents can't or won't do the job.

I am VERY PRO LIVING CHILDREN.

Children are not and should not be responsible for idiot adults.

BUt they absolutely can choose their own gender just like an adult?

Gender, who you are, is in the brain make-up.

Not a choice.

Ignorance (lack of knowledge) shows stupidity in attempt at debate.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Dear Lord, the horror a child must be in store for when they find water with their happy meal! How will they cope? The inhumanity of having water to drink when no other drink is specified! How dare they!

Next thing you know restaurants will start giving complimentary water as soon as you're seated! We must stop this now before it's too late!

/sarcasm

You want to know a real snowflake story? This thread. Think about it, you're crying about water and/or milk being the default drink in happy meals. Wtf?
edit on 8/20/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yeah, uh

There's a spirit in California......you can feel it......

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

It's whispering "you can still give your kids soda pop if you want to, don't freak out".

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

But you already had the choice to give your kid something else... so what exactly did the law really accomplish?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Bit too soon to tell, I think. I hypothesize that most people acquiesce to default standards, therefore more kids will drink more water. Not seeing cause for alarm.

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join