It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ageing in Human Cells Successfully Reversed in the Lab

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Overpopulation is already a thing

Not it isn't. Resource management issues are a thing.

We are actively seeking to leave Earth and colonize the solar system.

We need to focus on extending the amount of time we are healthy, which is what this is al about.

Perhaps we need to work out a solution? All those who sign on for significant life extension are made sterile until a time comes that we can comfortably support the massive burden being while having a much extended life and reproducing would cause.

What is it with new technologies making some want to violate the rights of others like this?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Oh wait, you think this is a movie where there is this race against time to get the elixer to make sure it doesn't "fall into the wrong hands", because we all know the rights hands always get the girl... 

I think thats frightfully naive of you.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think you spend too much time being afraid of things.
edit on 20 8 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Overpopulation is already a thing

Not it isn't. Resource management issues are a thing.

We are actively seeking to leave Earth and colonize the solar system.

We need to focus on extending the amount of time we are healthy, which is what this is al about.

Perhaps we need to work out a solution? All those who sign on for significant life extension are made sterile until a time comes that we can comfortably support the massive burden being while having a much extended life and reproducing would cause.

What is it with new technologies making some want to violate the rights of others like this?

Not disagreeing there, but again we need to be realistic.

Do you deny people on earth starve to death? That resource management ISNT an issue? How do you think these things will be improved upon by extending our childbearing years and not legislating preventative measures to stop runaway population increase?

I agree, one day if we survive we will colonize the stars and this may not be an issue, but to ignore it right now and say it isn't an issue is naive.

And to your next post, perhaps you are right and I DO worry too much. And maybe you are too trusting of those who would covet this technology.
edit on 20-8-2018 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Do you deny people on earth starve to death?

What does this have to do with anything?

Starvation has been drastically reduced in the world in the last 100 years. What we have now are zones of poverty that we have not been able to affect due to local/international politics. This is despite an increase in population.

How do you think these things will be improved upon by extending our childbearing years and not legislating preventative measures to stop runaway population increase?

If you really wanna reduce the population why not start an ideological war that says in order to have children not forcibly aborted out of you, or taken from you to enforce preventative measures, or to have your reproductive ability mutilated by the state, you have to fight to the bitter end?

How about you think this through a little. Apply some of that moral compass. Technology or its use is no excuse to violate people rights like this.

It's like consent, and "my body, my choice" is only for convenience.
edit on 20 8 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Do you deny people on earth starve to death?

What does this have to do with anything?

Starvation has been drastically reduced in the world in the last 100 years. What we have now are zones of poverty that we have not been able to affect due to local/international politics. This is despite an increase in population.

How do you think these things will be improved upon by extending our childbearing years and not legislating preventative measures to stop runaway population increase?

If you really wanna reduce the population why not start an ideological war that says in order to have children not forcibly aborted out of you, or taken from you to enforce preventative measures, or to have your reproductive ability mutilated by the state, you have to fight to the bitter end?

How about you think this through a little. Apply some of that moral compass. Technology or its use is no excuse to violate people rights like this.

It's like consent, and "my body, my choice" is only for convenience.

I'm a realist.

I agree that age extension should be a thing, and it should absolutely be offered to all. But if you think that our resource management issues WON'T be exacerbated by this, I'm not sure what to tell you. The overpopulation/ resource management issues are really one in the same, spin it how you will. I don't like China's one child policy. But it makes sense.

If some anti-aging reports are to be believed, immortality ISNT far off. Do you expect us to maintain the status quo without making massive leaps in resources management as immortal citizens breeding endless, immortal children? We need to carefully consider the implications of this technology.

Again, I fully endorse this research and hope the best for it, but mankind has being going to wars for all of our recorded history over resources. I think we need to temper our enthusiasm with a healthy dose of caution.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Great! Just like the prophetic movie “Elysium” shows, miraculous and amazing times in innovative healthcare await the masses!

...... oh wait, nevermind

edit on 20-8-2018 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I expect us to continue looking toward the Moon, Mars, the moons of the Gas Giants, GM Foods to feed us along the journey, and other such organisms for our benefits as we establish ourselves across our solar system, genetic manipulation for resistance to things like radiation, or to maximize cell efficiency as to not need as much food despite being able to accomplish much more.

These things are NOT science-fiction. We are doing them now. These discoveries don't exist in a vacuum and the consequences of the widespread use of these kinds of technologies will not yield consequences of their own making and only within their own context.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam

Great! Just like the prophetic movie “Elysium” shows, miraculous and amazing times in innovative healthcare await the masses!

...... oh wait, nevermind

Stop watching movies. They aren't real.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

You actually read my post right??

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

I need this now.

It is likely the Mark of the Beast.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Wasn't that supposed to be the RFID chip? Before that, it was a tattoo, wasn't it?

Make up your minds, it can't all be the mark of the beast.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

This will not make you immmortal. You can still be shot,stabbed to death,get a disease. Talk about over reactions in this thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I need this now.

Has the ANtichrist appeared yet? Have they made church mandatory on sunday yet? Have the oceans boiled? has th e7 trumpets blown that ALL MEN will hear no matter where they are at? NO. That does not come into play UNTIL tribulation is almost over and peace was declared in Israel.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

If it turns out to be the Elixir-of-life, it should be illegal for politicians and lawyers and banksters to have access to it.

probably Kiwis too, but thats not important for the moment.

Fair go mate, me wife's from NZ!

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

Wasn't that supposed to be the RFID chip? Before that, it was a tattoo, wasn't it?

Make up your minds, it can't all be the mark of the beast.

You mean your mind? I never said the others we who have believes don't all "guess" the same and of course we are just guessing.
I have always thought it would be something like long life or better looks, turning back the clock.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I need this now.

Has the ANtichrist appeared yet? Have they made church mandatory on sunday yet? Have the oceans boiled? has th e7 trumpets blown that ALL MEN will hear no matter where they are at? NO. That does not come into play UNTIL tribulation is almost over and peace was declared in Israel.

And they have not offered us youth yet either.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

a reply to: SorrowSong

There is a growing body of work

That has linked senesence with telomere shortening.

I looked at what you have linked as your ‘source’. Your “source” leads to a vague google search that leads to a bunch of PDF files and some other crap that I don’t want to download. I revert you to my original question pertaining to the OP ... Does this affect the deterioration of telomeres?

Explain in your own words. If you cannot explain in your own words and cannot cite literature that doesn’t require me to download pdf files then I can only conclude that you have thus far failed in your argument sir.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The whole telomere thing. If we can edit genes and all that, we should be able to come up with a way to maintain their length.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

The whole telomere thing. If we can edit genes and all that, we should be able to come up with a way to maintain their length.

Does the OP address this? Can/will you?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join