It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is there an electrician, master mechanic, engineer or awesome human that can help me wire this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
so i have been having problems with my car overheating and thought i had it fixed a couple times. nope.
narrowed it down to the fan.

04 pt cruiser. fan does not come on. pretty well known problem i guess.

my new fan came in and i got the old one out and i have a connection issue. electrical is my worst thing so i do not want to start soldering connections together until i get some guidance.

can someone help me make this work? this is a work car. i dont care if the fan stays on all the time or only 1 speed works. i just drive it 10 miles then park it for 8 hours then 10 miles back.

this first pic is my OLD fan plug

this pic is my NEW fan plug

old fan has 2 wires coming out of the fan motor, then some # is spliced and plugged in and it turns into 3 wires and into the plug.

new fan has 3 wires coming off the fan motor, nothing spliced and into this plug.

so what i want to do... what i think i can do is cut my old plug off so i can plug it into the car and then i can cut the new plug off and just wire it up that way.

makes sense yes?

i just dont know what wires to go to which wires.

any help is much appreciated

thank you

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i just bought the cheapo fan.
when i called auto zone they gave me a price on a cheap fan then said my plug might not fit and i might have to wire it up so i said no way. went to rock auto and bought a cheap fan and ended up with that anyway.

i just need to know what wire to what wire. i can solder everything together.

thanks

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Weird question, but... what happened to your ring finger?

Did you really have to rip the ring off so fast? How hot was she?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Weird question, but... what happened to your ring finger?

Did you really have to rip the ring off so fast? How hot was she?

got it caught in a band saw at the old foundry i worked at and cut it off

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Black stays with black. The blue and red should both be hot when the fan is on. If it doesn't kick on when you would expect it to then just swap the blue and red.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If its got the wrong plug then you have the wrong part for your car : dont cut anything off or change the hardware at all but get the correct fan

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

You have two options. You can try and locate a diagram online, at the part store (in books) the parts guy might be able to help.

Or

You can wire it to a toggle switch, which might be just as easy as hunting down the schematic. If you do go with this option don’t forget to run an in-line fuse.

Hell in my old 88 f250 I had a toggle switch for the fan, fuel pump, headlights and a push button for the starter lol it was like an airplane cockpit in there

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT
If its got the wrong plug then you have the wrong part for your car : dont cut anything off or change the hardware at all but get the correct fan

not saying youre wrong but when i called autozone about the cheap one they said my plugs might not fit and i might have to wire some # up.

even if they are wrong and you are right. i do not have the time or money to buy another fan/more expensive fan.

not saying this will be proper factory # but people put hemi engines in golf carts. there has to be a way to wire this up

thanks though

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18

Black stays with black. The blue and red should both be hot when the fan is on. If it doesn't kick on when you would expect it to then just swap the blue and red.

im going to go with this option for the time being.
i am not wiring this up tonight but i will be doing it tomorrow.

i have to make this work

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I would take photos to auto zone or napa and ask a knowledgeable counter person.
Maybe an adapter plug is available.

If you wire it direct, you may want to run an on/off switch to the cab/interior. If you run it direct, it will run even w/ car off. Putting a switch in will allow you to kill it when you turn off the car.

To understand what is what, I would need to see the plugs to both fans, and the one to the wiring harness. Tho red is usually 'hot', and black is always ground.

On new fan plug, I would bet both blues are positive, for different speeds maybe, and the black is a ground.
Old fan plug, red is hot, black is ground, and blue is either a temp sensor switch to activate fan, or a hot for a multi-speed fan.

Post a pic of the wiring harness connection to the fan - what the old plug connects to.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Just have to ask... got a test light?

Before I would replace a blower motor I would check to see if I had a good power and ground to it...

(25 amp fuse in your PDC... it's under the cover below the instrument panel on the left.)

edit on 20-8-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
First, you don’t need to solder anything.

Get wire nuts.

Tie up the ground. Touch the blue wires one at a time.

I’m sure there just different speeds.

I would of paid more for the right fan, but I see your point.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm going to guess that the red wire in your original is a fusible link wire and matches the black wire in the new model. Why, oh why they would use two blue wires to mark positive and negative, however is anyone's guess. Did you already replace the fan relays? Did you replace the fusible link in your wiring harness to the fan? Do you have a fan when you turn on the AC (oddball thing Chryslers do when the sensor relay malfunctions.)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

100 price difference.
What do you mean tie up the ground?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i just need to know what wire to what wire. i can solder everything together.

thanks

Sweet Christ no! You solder wires to circuit boards, not to plugs and not to each other. Cut the wores close to the connector, buy a pack of plastic, color coded wire wingnuts, place the ends of the wires you want to connect together, put on the wingnut, and screw it down. Then use electrical tape to cover any still exposed wiring, making sure no bare wires touch anything.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No fan when a.c. is on.
Relays and fuse are good.

I just need to know what wire to what wire

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Got it.
What color to what color?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Toolman18

im going to go with this option for the time being.
i am not wiring this up tonight but i will be doing it tomorrow.

i have to make this work

Pretty safe bet. Power and ground are red and black, respectively of course. The third wire is presumably to control fan speed. On computers they call it a revolution wire and can work like a rheostat to offer variable speed for maximum efficiency. In cars it is my understanding they both have the same voltage and the fan circuit relay opens one or both for Lo/Hi, depending on engine temp. Basically you will not screw this up unless you dont connect black to black.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

www.justanswer.com...

Black should be ground and the other 2 are high and low speed. I don't know which is which, because the diagram shows them being yellow and dark green, not blue and red. Does the new fan have any diagram or makings?
edit on 8/20/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My Sister's 04 PT had a overheating problem, I checked it and noticed the fan worked ok in low speed but when car got hot fan didn't worked in hi speed, replaced fan relay not fan.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join