It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump trillion-dollar-plus deficits are putting America on a path to fiscal ruin

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

Agreed on the collapse, and given how crappy all of our choices were I don't think it really mattered what puppet we put in office. Americans must have wanted some sort of reality TV element to this demise.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I guess deficits don't matter anymore?

One truism about the right I've learned under Trump is that bad things only matter when liberals are in charge.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

2. Obama actually reduced the deficit by almost 66%

LOL! Do you realize how laughable that statement is? Obama reduced his own deficit by almost 66% because he also had the highest deficits in history. Obama's lowest deficit was almost the same as Bush's highest deficit throughout their presidencies.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I guess deficits don't matter anymore?

One truism about the right I've learned under Trump is that bad things only matter when liberals are in charge.

Eh, there was one self branded conservative in the thread that shows the statement isn't true for all (though I'll agree it seems that way for most).

I remember the same to be true for Obama and his camp though.

Party politics allow this to keep happening. Loyalists will always protect their president, and this deficit needs to be addressed by someone before it's too late.

Trump is dropping the ball right now.
edit on 20-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

There are certainly exceptions in the voter base, but I'm more referring to the right wing media and the Republican politicians under Trump.
edit on 20-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

There are certainly exceptions in the voter base, but I'm more referring to the right wing media and the Republican politicians under Trump.

Party loyalists act about the same, (D) (R) next to their name doesn't make too much of a difference, that's one of the major issues. People sugarcoat their camp while they'll call out the other, hence why our country has been spinning tires.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You are going to need to be a little more specific here. First, can you show the figures which indicate that Obama's temporary debt was more or as expensive to the country, as Trumps permanent deficit increase?

Also, which creative accounting are you talking about specifically, and could you provide an example with some sort of sourcing, beyond some chatter you picked up on a chan board?

Lastly, your final two statements, about ignoring one trillion dollars of student loan debt and the "Trillion dollar shovel ready BULLSNIP"... Care to provide any details that actually show the following:

a) That what you say about any of this is actually accurate

b) That you are correct to suggest that Trumps permanent deficit increases are only as bad as the temporary measures that Obama used to rescue the economy

c) That you have correctly grasped the relevance of the data you are trying to use

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Well, the US is the phallus with which the rest of the world is routinely boned.

Keeping the filthy scum government you have as powerless as possible means it cannot continue to damage the rest of the world. The first step on that path, is keeping a keen eye on things. Luckily, I am able to manage my responsibility as a citizen of my own country, to maintain vigilance on ITS government, as well as keeping an eye on other governments around the world, since although we are all in separate nations, the actions of one government often impact the lives of the citizens of others.

Keeping an eye on America's scum therefore, is as important to me as keeping an eye on Britain's scum. You have to know the enemy to beat them, and the government will always be the enemy, until the people are the only power within the government of any nation (as opposed to corporate sponsors and people with agendas which differ from those of the regular person).

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Yes, yes. I agree with you, but the problem I see here is that many of the very things that right wing media and Republican politicians whined about Obama and the Dems doing, they are doing or supporting them theirselves. And in many cases the Republican versions are more extreme than the times they complained about Democrat situations.

For instance, with how patiently the Republicans demanded the Dems to sit through all the investigations into Clinton and other imagined scandals of Democrats, they can't even let the one investigation into Trump finish before yelling that it needs to close early. Plus the investigation that the House undertook for the Russia investigation is a literal embarrassment to all things non-partisan.

I prefer to be an independent and not beholden to any one party or side, but time-after-time I feel forced to the left because of Republican and right wing media antics and unappealing misbehaviors.

link   
Perhaps a smarter person than I (5th grader?) can answer this, but this chart shows that the Debt/GDP ratio is just about average. Meaning that the ability to pay back the loans is gonna be ok. Now what happens when the interest rises...who knows. Guess peeps forget that GDP has risen as well.

www.thebalance.com...

link   
" Truth isn't truth "

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, yes. I agree with you, but the problem I see here is that many of the very things that right wing media and Republican politicians whined about Obama and the Dems doing, they are doing or supporting them theirselves. And in many cases the Republican versions are more extreme than the times they complained about Democrat situations.

Kind of like how Obama let the deficit get worse when Dems complained Bush increased debt.

Kind of like how dems complained about Bush and his wars, then Obama bombs Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, and Pakistan.

Kind of like how dems blast Trump for speaking ill of the media when the Obama admin went after more journalists using the espionage act than all other admins combined? (since espionage act's inception)

I could go on.

The point is, just wait, when another Democrat gets in office, Business will go on as usual, the only difference is the debate will flip. Republicans will blast the president and the Democrats will defend him/her.

Rinse and repeat.

Every president lets the deficit get worse, their party usually defends it.

Only thing I can come up with is parties are bad.
edit on 20-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You are going to need to be a little more specific here.

The year Obama began.

www.usdebtclock.org...

The year Obama left.

www.usdebtclock.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This path to fiscal ruin, is a long, long road and the US has been on it for years, buddy. You show ignorance by trying to pin it on one person.

If my memory doesn't betray me, Hussein ran up a bigger deficit than anybody before him and Jr. Did the same.

But it must be The Donald' s fault!
edit on 2018 8 20 by incoserv because: I COULD.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Kind of like how Obama let the deficit get worse when Dems complained Bush increased debt.

Obama's deficit increases were only temporary and 100% aligned with modern economy theory of government getting a country out of a recession. Those can and should be forgiven as a necessary evil of the times. I'm not saying that I 100% agree with what Obama did (I wouldn't have bailed the banks out and instead bailed the public out), but I understand his methodology for why he did it.

Kind of like how dems complained about Bush and his wars, then Obama bombs Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, and Pakistan.

Kind of like how dems blast Trump for speaking ill of the media when the Obama admin went after more journalists using the espionage act than all other admins combined? (since espionage act's inception)

I could go on.

The point is, just wait, when another Democrat gets in office, Business will go on as usual, the only difference is the debate will flip. Republicans will blast the president and the Democrats will defend him/her.

See. You are ignoring what I'm saying. I understand that both sides play the system, but Republicans TODAY are making waves that are literally threatening the very checks and balances that hold our government together. THAT is my problem with the party.

I literally don't accept the "Both sides are equally as bad" argument anymore just because you can list a few anecdotes of Democrats doing idiotic things. The actions Trump and his cronies are taking and subsequent Republicans ignoring it are FAR worse than anything I've seen the Democrats do. The closest being them defending Bill Clinton during his impeachment hearings.

I would welcome a return to complaining about the small potatoes crap we complained about under Obama any day versus the very real threat Trump poses to our country.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The year Obama began.

www.usdebtclock.org...

The year Obama left.

www.usdebtclock.org...

If those are specific to the years Obama took and left office why are the numbers accumulating?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I literally don't accept the "Both sides are equally as bad" argument anymore just because you can list a few anecdotes of Democrats doing idiotic things.

I don't expect loyalists from either side to agree with that.

From the outside looking in for years, I can tell ya they both look the same.... But that's my opinion. I won't try and pass it as fact, I'll only try and show people why I think that.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: neo96

The year Obama began.

www.usdebtclock.org...

The year Obama left.

www.usdebtclock.org...

If those are specific to the years Obama took and left office why are the numbers accumulating?

They are showing the rate they were going up in relation to the day in time they are representing. If you watch the live clock it ticks up alarmingly fast.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Because we are still paying for the 16 trillion in DEBT he created from running DEFICITS.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join