It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan Officials: Taliban Take at Least 100 People Hostage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
After 17+ years of USA and coalition involvement in Afghanistan it would appear the country is no better off .. You have to wonder what will be done with and to the people they have captured ?

KABUL, Afghanistan—Afghan officials say the Taliban have taken more than 100 people, including women and children, hostage in an ambush in the country’s north.

This comes despite President Ashraf Ghani’s call for a cease-fire with the Taliban during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Mohammad Yusouf Ayubi, the head of the provincial council in Kunduz province, says the insurgents stopped three buses on the road Monday near Khan Abad district and abducted the passengers.

Ayubi believes the Taliban were looking for government employees or members of the security forces.

www.theepochtimes.com...

Like I said in www.abovetopsecret.com... it ain't working

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Maybe someone can explain this to me.
My country, the USA, has military might, greater than the rest of the world combined, right?
So why haven't we eradicated these a$$holes?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Its not working because deep down "not very deep" the locals want the Taliban to run the country.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You may very well be correct as sharia law in their minds is better than anything the west can offer..

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brywilson2
Maybe someone can explain this to me.
My country, the USA, has military might, greater than the rest of the world combined, right?
So why haven't we eradicated these a$$holes?

Could it possibly be that the US uses their might to make sure they're not eradicated?
Chaos is profitable.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

You may very well be correct as sharia law in their minds is better than anything the west can offer..

Americans just use it for a battle field maybe.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Its not working because deep down "not very deep" the locals want the Taliban to run the country.

Thats not entirely true. About 15 percent want sharia law to run the country. Problem is that 15 percent is willing to use violence to achieve their goals.

Most afgans want to just raise their families oh and get internet access. The biggest problem is the government can barely protect the major cities much less the entire country. So war lords pop up everywhere often with Islamic beliefs in things like Shariah law.

There is no solution here sadly NATO can tame afganistan with enough troops in a perpetual occupation. NATO can pull out letting these warlords get bigger and bigger until they once again create a new terrorist group or join one.

The only option i see is make China pakistan and Russia deal with it. They dont want terrorists in that area either. So cut off the flow of refugees from the area and just wait until the pot boils over and they will have to deal with it. The US has stabilized that area for them but at what cost. China is all ready moving troops into afganistan because they believe the US will pull out.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Sure, some Afghani's want Taliban rule but I don't think all of them do, probably not even most of them.

Afghanistan is very tribal and fractious and there are deep divisions within its various people / groups / tribes etc.
There's lots of money going round bribing and paying off various officials and leaders.
Billions invested in the poppy fields and the possibility of huge mineral deposits.

Add to the mix a genuine dislike and distrust of the democratic principles we take for granted and which our governments feel impelled to enforce on others then its hardly any wonder the area is a powder keg and hardly any 'progress' is made.

I'd be all for just pulling out, but who would move into the vacuum and would we just abandon all those who have worked with us?

Its just a # awful situation for everybody concerned and involved.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Thats not entirely true. About 15 percent want sharia law to run the country. Problem is that 15 percent is willing to use violence to achieve their goals.

Most afgans want to just raise their families oh and get internet access. The biggest problem is the government can barely protect the major cities much less the entire country. So war lords pop up everywhere often with Islamic beliefs in things like Shariah law.

There is no solution here sadly NATO can tame afganistan with enough troops in a perpetual occupation. NATO can pull out letting these warlords get bigger and bigger until they once again create a new terrorist group or join one.

The only option i see is make China pakistan and Russia deal with it. They dont want terrorists in that area either. So cut off the flow of refugees from the area and just wait until the pot boils over and they will have to deal with it. The US has stabilized that area for them but at what cost. China is all ready moving troops into afganistan because they believe the US will pull out.

I haven't heard that China is on the move. But I'll check it out. I don't doubt your word, but this would be pretty big news here in Asia.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Let us not forget, the US was supporting Taliban in the 1980s when the Taliban were fighting the Soviets...

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The truth is that the locals would take pretty much any rule except for Americas culture.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

There's a reason it's called asymmetrical warfare. You can't wipe out an enemy that blends into the people you're trying to protect easily. The only way to do it is to wipe out the villages they hide in, or send troops door to for in all the villages and hope you get them all.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Just remind me, that didn't go to well in Vietnam did it. Well the Russians tried it in the Stan and they walked away because they couldn't do it. The thing is your not fighting an army as we know it. They blend back into the populace when it suits them and apart from genocide nobody can ever win in those circumstances.
The only way to accomplish anything is to pull out all and every foreign entity and lock their borders and let them stew in their own juices till they come up with a stable country. but don't hold your breath.
Ah but, the poppies are blowing in the wind.

edit on 20-8-2018 by crayzeed because: Added sentence.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Just remind me, that didn't go to well in Vietnam did it. Well the Russians tried it in the Stan and they walked away because they couldn't do it. The thing is your not fighting an army as we know it. They blend back into the populace when it suits them and apart from genocide nobody can ever win in those circumstances.
The only way to accomplish anything is to pull out all and every foreign entity and lock their borders and let them stew in their own juices till they come up with a stable country. but don't hold your breath.
Ah but, the poppies are blowing in the wind.

That's what we call " a true controlled war on who controls the poppies war".

top topics

join